Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2011 10:42:05 AM EDT
How do you tell if it's a bad bearing or tires feathering?

My wheels make a loud roaring noise no matter what speed I'm at. Had them aligned and rebalanced and still there. Jacked up the car and tried to wiggle the wheels and no movement. They spin smoothly. Tires have a very minute wear on the outside but very very minute.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Rotate the tres and see if it's still there.

Probably not a wheel bearing if you recently had it aligned, the shop should have found it if there was a problem.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Rotate the tres and see if it's still there.

Probably not a wheel bearing if you recently had it aligned, the shop should have found it if there was a problem.

I just did a wheel bearing on a vehicle that had absolutely no play in the bearing.  Noise was all that was going on.  If it has leaked all the grease out it will make noise first, then get play in it.

If it is a front whee drive, jack up the front wheels, put it in drive and WITH OUT TOUCHING THE MOVING WHEEL grab the spring.  If you feel the noise on one side or the other you have a wheel bearing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Tire name?
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Tire name?

Along with age and miles.

Some just tires just get louder as they wear.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you have an aggressive tread pattern on these tires.

I had a one-ton dually pickup that howled like a pack of dogs following me around.

It seemed to get louder as the tires would wear.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do you have an aggressive tread pattern on these tires.
I had a one-ton dually pickup that howled like a pack of dogs following me around.
It seemed to get louder as the tires would wear.

not on topic but  I love the sound of my mud tires but at a certain speed i sometimes have to close windows cause they are so loud
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 3:24:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Hubby swaps my truck tires side to side to prevent that noise. It works quite well. The uneven tire wear is always at the front of the tread blocks, due to braking, he says. Swapping them front to rear does not help.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#8]
The sound comes from the rear from what my passengers have told me.

They are the Yoko Envigors. They have about 15k miles on them with about 30% tread life left.

I have rotated them front to rear since they are a directional tread pattern.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Had some Yokohamas on our Silverado.  Bit the bullet and bought a new set when they had about only 20k miles (and I'd say had about 40-50% tread remaining) because they howled so loudly.  Gave me a headache to drive more than an hour.  Had another friend tell me the same thing happened with his.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 12:27:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just did a wheel bearing on a vehicle that had absolutely no play in the bearing.  Noise was all that was going on.  

My Rainier has a bad front driver's side wheel bearing that also didn't have any play - just noise.
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it rear wheel drive? You could try jacking up the rear wheels and slowly pushing on the accelerator to get them to turn. If it's a bearing, you'll still hear it when the wheels are off the ground. If it goes away when the tires are in the air, it's tire noise.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 5:49:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is it rear wheel drive? You could try jacking up the rear wheels and slowly pushing on the accelerator to get them to turn. If it's a bearing, you'll still hear it when the wheels are off the ground. If it goes away when the tires are in the air, it's tire noise.

No, it's a front wheel drive car.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#13]
feel the edges of the tires to see if they are cupped or feathered
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#14]
It is possible it may have too much toe.  You can check this, roughly, with a tape measure.  Maybe the alignment shop fooked up?  Maybe you have bad tie rods or ball joints?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top