Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2011 9:10:35 AM EDT
I got caught in a bit of rain yesterday and ended up hitting a puddle of water that was deeper than I expected (an ambulance was running code in the rain, so I figured it was a life/death situation and got out of the way).  Anyway, immediately afterwards, the temperature sensor on my dash dropped to -40F and started flashing and the A/C started blowing hot.  I got home and found a wire dangling loose under the front driver's corner.  The wire is on the same harness as the horn and driver's side fog light.

I posted on another BMW site but responses are slow.  Was hoping somone here could shed some light.  

I have read that the A/C system is computer controlled on the E46, and that this sensor if unplugged or damaged would cause the computer to block the compressor from engaging.  

Any ideas where this third wire plugs into?  I've checked my Bentley manual and I am either missing it or its not there.

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#1]
The temperature sensor is located somewhere behind the front bumper.
Sounds like it`s either damaged or unplugged like you said. Heavy rain is a common cause for ruining the temp. sensor.

Haven`t had to fix mine yet, so can`t give any more specific advice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 5:14:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure if this will help, but My E36 has the temp sensor on front air duct by the grill, on the drivers side.  I dont know what would cause your AC to act up except maybe the comfort relay possibly?
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#3]
On the E46 we call the ambient temp sensor the curb feeler.  It is actually mounted so it sticks out just a little bit from the right front bumper.  it is also in the same harness that goes to the AC compressor clutch (if I remember correctly).  I would bet you need to go to BMW for the parts on this one.  

First get your hand on the AC wiring right at the compressor to make sure it is still plugged in.  Then head on down to the dealer and buy a ambient temp sensor and plug that in.  Zip tie it somewhere where it will not drag on the ground and check to see if you have AC and a temp reading on the dash.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top