Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2017 11:07:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#1]
WOO HOO!

I am glad to see it, it's rare people have physical certs anymore. Though I actually saw some from 1993 in the office the other day from some obscure company.

During the 1700s the Amsterdam stock exchange had close links with the London stock exchange and they would often list each other's stocks. To clear the trades, time was required for the physical stock certificate or cash to move from Amsterdam to London and back. This led to standard settlement period of 14 days which was the time it usually took for a courier to make the journey on horseback and by ship. Most exchanges continued to use the same model over the next few hundred years. With the advent of new technology in the 1970s and 1980s there was a move to reduce settlement times, and settlement dates in most exchanges reduced to five days (known as T+5) then down to three days (known as T+3 or Trade date plus three days).

Efforts are also underway in Europe to shorten the settlement cycle for stocks to two days ("T+2"), driven by the European Commission's Central Securities Depositories Regulation.[1] Discussions have begun in the United States to follow suit, propelled in part by cost-benefit analysis research commissioned by the Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation in 2012.[2] The study, conducted by the Boston Consulting Group, identified 11 key enablers to achieving shortened settlement cycles, including the establishment of a "trade date" environment, or a market where same-day affirmation (SDA) is the norm.[3]
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:23:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WOO HOO!

I am glad to see it, it's rare people have physical certs anymore. Though I actually saw some from 1993 in the office the other day from some obscure company.
View Quote
So on that note, @midcap, I just might have recently found several physical certificates I was gifted--I think in the 90's--from some obscure company. How/where would I go about determining value, trading, and or digitizing them?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So on that note, @midcap, I just might have recently found several physical certificates I was gifted--I think in the 90's--from some obscure company. How/where would I go about determining value, trading, and or digitizing them?

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOO HOO!

Thanks
Post the CUSIP and we can see what company it is.

it may be a bearer stock cert or it may have a record somewhere.

The process is fairly easy though to get it into the system.

You could also post a pic, old stock cert pics are always cool
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:21:05 AM EDT
[#4]

This is the one I found.   Believe they're still an active company.

I also found certificates I have for Exxon.  Received 1 shortly after birth as a gift,  through splits it's now 8, though I do have that tracking through Computershare.

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#5]
that par value at the bottom should mean it's a preferred stock, though not always.

I am going to have to dig deeper with that CUSIP.

Have you been getting any dividends from the company?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#6]
No dividends that I am aware of, however i received it as a minor, with my grandmother (now deceased) listed as the custodian.  The exxon, yes on the dividends.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No dividends that I am aware of, however i received it as a minor, with my grandmother (now deceased) listed as the custodian.  The exxon, yes on the dividends.
View Quote
I have been busy as heck...I didn't forget about you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top