Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2017 11:01:06 PM EDT
If you ever get into problems paying your bills keep records of the accounts and how much is owed.

I am cleaning a crap storm and lucky I kept track of things. One company sent me a collections notice for an amount over what I had in writing from them before. They had jacked up the amount and I called them out on the amount.

Jacking up the amount is against the law, I didn't know that at the time, but they ended up call an $8000 account paid in full because of it.

From reading the law I could call a lawyer and sue to try to get another $1000 from them, they would have to pay lawyer fees if I won. I don't think it is worth the time and hassle for $1000.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#1]
ok.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#2]
(IANAL) The law you speak of is the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act - there are attorneys who make their living (a very good living) enforcing the FDCPA against debt collectors. Debt collectors have rules to follow, and that applies to attorneys, paralegals, collections people, and probably several other groups. The penalties for violating the FDCPA can be HARSH, and companies do NOT like to hear that you have heard of the law when they are violating it.

-shooter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top