Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2017 1:58:46 AM EDT
I have a Roth that is with Company X right now, I opened it probably 10 years ago, but never really put money into (i know, it's a long story) so it has about $300 in it right now.  I'd like to open up a Roth at Vanguard and start putting money it from me and my wife.  

Should I just close the existing Roth then open new Roth at Vanguard?

I guess I'm asking if there are any benefits to me transferring such a little account over to them or not.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:25:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you checked to see if you can back pay any of it?  I can't remember it's worth a look.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:30:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you checked to see if you can back pay any of it?  I can't remember it's worth a look.
View Quote
 I didn't know that was an option.  Thank you!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can't do that!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I would transfer it because $300 is $300...and Vanguard will do it for you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry I thought within a certain time frame you could contribute last years amount.  I guess I was thinking HSA account.  Again sorry.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:30:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sorry I thought within a certain time frame you could contribute last years amount.  I guess I was thinking HSA account.  Again sorry.
View Quote
No worries.  I'll just transfer it over to Vanguard.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, sort of correct:  you have up until 15 April (or whenever tax day is) to contribute to last year's IRA but can't go back any farther than that...and it's now June.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Between Vanguard and your bank, you should be able to set up a fire-and-forget monthly deposit.

Pay yourself first.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Depending on your age you may be eligible for "catch up" contributions.  For a roth that would be $1k.  Your best bet is to talk to someone at Vanguard.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Between Vanguard and your bank, you should be able to set up a fire-and-forget monthly deposit.

Pay yourself first.
View Quote
That's what I do. Figure at the maximum yearly contribution of $5500, divided by 12 months, divided by two contributions a month. Too easy, and keeps me honest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top