Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/10/2017 11:11:56 AM EDT
I started a lending club account about a year ago after reading about it on here.  I started with the $2500 suggested investment to diversify for the most average returns.

So far my cash in deposits are $4250 and I add $100 a month to it.

I am currently sitting at $459.23 in interest paid, and reinvested. On a no chargeoff month profit is between $40-50.  I am waiting for another solid month to get a new number but I expect things to change a bit with my new strategy.

If I start all over from the beginning I would do it very differently.

Their trading platform for notes is looked at as a way to sell of notes and it can be if you have good notes.

Currently the trading platform is the only place I buy notes.

This is how I set to shop notes:
15%-31% rate
60 month loan term only
Issued, current, never late loan status
1-25 remaining payments
650 to 850 credit score
100% to 0% markup/discount

This method seems to be about the safest bet. You're buying a note that 25/60 payments left so they are likely to pay off and are way past the most common defaul months.

With it being a safer bet you can also aim for the higher rate notes to buy.

Any questions?  I will try to answer to the best of my amateur investor ability.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Following this for info.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I turned off my auto invest and get to wait a few years to get my money back. I've tried to sell notes and short of a heavy discount they never moved. These were good notes too. The risk/reward factor doesn't overcome the liquidity issues for me. Thankfully I don't have much tied up in it. 
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I turned off my auto invest and get to wait a few years to get my money back. I've tried to sell notes and short of a heavy discount they never moved. These were good notes too. The risk/reward factor doesn't overcome the liquidity issues for me. Thankfully I don't have much tied up in it. 
View Quote
I agree with the risk reward liquidity issue. You shouldn't look at this as anything you can get out of quickly.

However if you done auto invest and go to the trading market you will be only buying hand picked notes that have, depending on your choice, 25 months of payments left.  

2 years or less and you get the return and you have quality stable notes that are more likely to sell on the market of you decide to sell off.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag for interest.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the like PTP loans?
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is the like PTP loans?
View Quote
It is ptp lending. Like prosper and others.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I looked into this at one point and I thought it was a nogo in Texas. Will look at it again.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I looked into this at one point and I thought it was a nogo in Texas. Will look at it again.
View Quote
I have had an account for probably at least 2 years. I know when they first started it was a nogo in TX. No issues any longer. I did have to sign off on things like net worth and what not. Wasn't sure if that applies to everyone or if its just a TX requirement. 
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless things have changed, I saw you guys making 6-7% with no liquidity.

Are the yields higher how?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Right at 8% when I checked my account yesterday. 
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:45:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:59:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do they allow you to buy and sell your loans?

Or once you make a loan, you have to hold until paid off?
View Quote
There is a secondary market, but I have had no luck in actually selling any of my notes. Its totally independent from the Lending Club platform. And the volume just doesn't appear to be there.

Yes, you hold the note until its paid off. Each month you get your share of the loan P&I. A note is basically a fractional representation of any given loan done on LC. 
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
My original 100 plus notes are at 6.82%
My traded notes are at 15.93%

This is why I have changed how I buy notes.
The notes I buy are solid and have a much better chance to sell if I choose to.

New or young notes are too risky.

I currently have 275 note
230 current
5 in Grace period
30 paid off
4 that are 31 to 120 days late
1 default
5 charged off
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

230 current
5 in Grace period
30 paid off
1 default
5 charged off
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

230 current
5 in Grace period
30 paid off
1 default
5 charged off
How did you calculate the 15%? is that based off of your original principle/capital contribution?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Tagged for a new investment strategy.  Been in since 2011 and just over a 6% return
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Mainly using their calculations.
I haven't done it manually yet to double check it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I dunno how this strategy is going to work out for you.  I've had A grade loans that have only made one payment then defaulted, and had ones that only had one payment left and defaulted.   60 month notes are notoriously bad.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I dunno how this strategy is going to work out for you.  I've had A grade loans that have only made one payment then defaulted, and had ones that only had one payment left and defaulted.   60 month notes are notoriously bad.
View Quote
That's the thing. It's a 60 month note that has made 35 of the 60 payments. Or more.

You can view their pay history and buy in at a 25 month or less remaining note.  

I agree.  The grades are bogus. Lots of A grades will default.  That's why I never look at the grade. Any note can default and they are higher risk of it over the first 25% of their loan term. Then it reduces as it gets older.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#20]
What kind of fees/charges are associated with the trading platform?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What kind of fees/charges are associated with the trading platform?
View Quote
The seller gets a 1% fee.

As the seller you can set a discount or markup to your liking but I won't buy anything with a markup.

There are some nice discounts out there too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:59:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Here is a look at what I see when buying notes on the trading platform.  At $10 to $15 a note instead of the $25 I can buy more notes and be even more diverse in my investment and spread out risk even more.

And if they do default I lose less than buying notes at their origination.

How I filter
Attachment Attached File

The results.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Wow, so these people were borrowing $25?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wow, so these people were borrowing $25?
View Quote
The loan could be for any amount.  The amount of the loan you decide to purchase is up to you.  The most common note size is $25 because that is the lease you can buy into a note at the origination.

In rough up. A $25,000 loan could be funded by 1000 different people.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The loan could be for any amount.  The amount of the loan you decide to purchase is up to you.  The most common note size is $25 because that is the lease you can buy into a note at the origination.

In rough up. A $25,000 loan could be funded by 1000 different people.
View Quote
That makes sense.  The loan is for a larger amount, your just buying a portion of it.

ETA: I see now that a couple have the same lone ID - I take it those are both portions of the same loan.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I dipped my toes in the water at the beginning of the year.  I did a lot of research first and I think I have a pretty good filter.  Since I've been investing in LC, I already have 7 loans paid off.  2 from January, 2 from April and 3 from May!  Very weird that someone would get a loan and pay it off a month later.  I had one loan go into 15-30 late period, but then it got caught up.  I have the auto invest feature set up so it'll pick up a new loan when I have $25 in cash.  I'm not adding new money for a while since I have a few other financial obligations to deal with.  I'll see how things look in the next 12-18 months.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I dipped my toes in the water at the beginning of the year.  I did a lot of research first and I think I have a pretty good filter.  Since I've been investing in LC, I already have 7 loans paid off.  2 from January, 2 from April and 3 from May!  Very weird that someone would get a loan and pay it off a month later.  I had one loan go into 15-30 late period, but then it got caught up.  I have the auto invest feature set up so it'll pick up a new loan when I have $25 in cash.  I'm not adding new money for a while since I have a few other financial obligations to deal with.  I'll see how things look in the next 12-18 months.
View Quote
Mind sharing your rules?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:47:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mind sharing your rules?
View Quote
Sure.  I must say, investing any money can be a chore.  When I do a deposit, I need to manually attempt to invest right when the loans post.  Sometimes they fill 100% before I can complete the transaction .

My Rules:

Grade:  C or D
Location State:  No CA or NY
Accounts Now Delinquent:  0
Delinquencies Last 2 years:  0
Loan Purpose:  Refinancing credit card, consolidating debt, wedding expenses, major purchase
Earliest credit line:  10 years or more
Max Debt-to-income:  20%
Loan Term:  36 months
Max Loan Amount Up To:  $25000
Major Derogatory:  >60
Exclude Relisted:  (box checked)
Min Length of Employment:  4 years
Home Ownership:  Mortgage or Own
Inquiries in the last 6 months:  0
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sure.  I must say, investing any money can be a chore.  When I do a deposit, I need to manually attempt to invest right when the loans post.  Sometimes they fill 100% before I can complete the transaction .

My Rules:

Grade:  C or D
Location State:  No CA or NY
Accounts Now Delinquent:  0
Delinquencies Last 2 years:  0
Loan Purpose:  Refinancing credit card, consolidating debt, wedding expenses, major purchase
Earliest credit line:  10 years or more
Max Debt-to-income:  20%
Loan Term:  36 months
Max Loan Amount Up To:  $25000
Major Derogatory:  >60
Exclude Relisted:  (box checked)
Min Length of Employment:  4 years
Home Ownership:  Mortgage or Own
Inquiries in the last 6 months:  0
View Quote
Those are some pretty stiff rules for those loan grades, must be kind of hard to fill.  What is the minimum credit score you will accept?  What kind of returns are you getting?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Those are some pretty stiff rules for those loan grades, must be kind of hard to fill.  What is the minimum credit score you will accept?  What kind of returns are you getting?
View Quote
Yeah, they are stiff and it takes a while to allocate money when I do a deposit.  Right now, I'm sitting at 15.77%, but it's still early.  12-18 months in will be the real test.  As for credit score, I don't worry about it since the rules filter so much as is.  The scores I see are usually 670-700.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I did it for a year and I am beginning to pull my money out. I made money, but the returns just do not justify the illiquid nature of the investment.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I need to look at my account. I have not done so in many months. I just have it set up on auto reinvest.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#33]
What's your exit strategy for when the market collapses and you now have exposure to a bunch of risky notes?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:59:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I have none. These are loans to individuals  - no more than $25 to any one person. I feel this is about as diversified risk as one can get. The average person borrowing money on lending club likely is not hugely impacted by market forces. They are average joes punching a clock. Sure in a huge market collapse they might lose jobs but in that scenario what investment is safe? I have around 11k invested in there with loans to over 400 people. Suzie teacher who borrowed 5k to consolidate her credit cards doesn't give a rip what the market does nor does Joe the mechanic that works at the local tire shop.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have none. These are loans to individuals  - no more than $25 to any one person. I feel this is about as diversified risk as one can get.
View Quote
It is.  However you can be even more diverse buying notes that have been paid down to half value.  That is what I am doing now.

I look at it this way.  I'm one year in. I put in the $2500 min to meet the recommended diversity. Right now.  A yeah and a month later I have been paid back $2206. With $484 of that being interest.

My notes bought on the trading market at one month in have seen $57.20 in payments and $10.12 on that is interest. With $662.06 in invested principal so far. My weighted average rate is 18.96%  and none of the accounts have been past due at all yet.

After working in title lending for a few years I know my risk here and I know it's worth it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

After working in title lending for a few years I know my risk here and I know it's worth it.
View Quote
Are there other criteria you are looking at to pick these high risk loans and get winners?     Profession?  Length of employment?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:17:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Are there other criteria you are looking at to pick these high risk loans and get winners?     Profession?  Length of employment?
View Quote
In the note trading I don't really look at the original listings like that.

I buy notes that haven't been late and have made a lot of payments.

Current payment history on loans seems to show a better trend than everything else.

Investing half the cash for half the time with half the pay history already known is a great thing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I think your onto something, in the other thread others were not happy with how liquid the investments are and for those of us who are willing to wait on them it provides us an opportunity for us to buy them at the original owners loss, which is instant profit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think your onto something, in the other thread others were not happy with how liquid the investments are and for those of us who are willing to wait on them it provides us an opportunity for us to buy them at the original owners loss, which is instant profit.
View Quote
That and you're buying prime notes that if you needed to sell they would sell easily.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, could you explain it to me.    It seems like in one of your above photos that the "Principle and Interest" price is very close to the asking price.  Is that "Principle and interest" of the whats left of the note?  If the asking price is close to that, but still seems to show a discount, aren't you paying the full term to them and making very little money for yourself?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, could you explain it to me.    It seems like in one of your above photos that the "Principle and Interest" price is very close to the asking price.  Is that "Principle and interest" of the whats left of the note?  If the asking price is close to that, but still seems to show a discount, aren't you paying the full term to them and making very little money for So?
View Quote
I the notes for sale picture they will list principal remaining and accrued interest. So if you list a note that is at $10 principal and has accrued $0.25 interest. The flat price would be $10.25. Now as time goes on and more interest accrues the price goes up.

The seller can decide on a markup or discount by %.  So if the discount is at 1% and the principal was $10 and interest accrued up to $0.50 total price $10.50.  Then discount by 1% and that is the sale price.  

Where you make money is you still have the remaining term of the loan and any future accrued interest that you profit from.  

I hope that explained it.  If not let me know
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Here is an example of $25 initial investment and looking at the final 20 payments.

$11.51 plus any accrued interest would be your buy in.

Your profit would be the interest in the final 20 payments. So you make $2.11 on your investment of $11.51 over the next 20 months of payments.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Is there a networth/income limit to be able to buy the notes on Lending Club?
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, but I don't know how they check. I just answered the questions.

I think it is up to your honesty.  I have a friend that started with just $25 and I know her net worth isn't that much.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
They don't check...at least they didn't check me!  Lord knows I wouldn't pass.  I started an account as a way of investing which offered better returns than a savings account with a lot more risk.  I look at what some people piss away each month/day on scratch off lottery tickets.  I would buy one from time to time just for entertainment value but we all know how great the returns are on those.  Now when I get the urge to piss money away on something stupid like a scratch off Lottery ticket or over priced cup of coffee I'll set the money aside and dump it into my lending club account.  I'm hovering right around $800 in my account last time I checked with a return rate of 17-18%.

Yes, I know I can't get my money back easily, but then again once I buy one of the scratch off lottery tickets it's gone as well.  I've not been contributing much lately other than reinvesting the returns(Principal and Interest) on my investments.  Right now It seems I'm bringing in $25 about every 3 weeks which just gets rolled back into my account.  Come Jan 1 I'm going to re-evaluate my account and see if I want to continue to invest in 60 month notes or scale back to 36 month and plan an exit strategy.  

I think my account is approx 2 years old at this point with maybe 70% of the money my own, the rest has been money reinvested.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the replies.

Anyone know how the taxes are handled between issuing notes, and purchasing them? Ie is it the same, or is one better than the other? I assume both are not capital gains though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

Anyone know how the taxes are handled between issuing notes, and purchasing them? Ie is it the same, or is one better than the other? I assume both are not capital gains though.
View Quote
At the end of the year they send you a 1099B and a 1099OID.  Does this help?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Sure does. Thanks a bunch

Thanks for the help also, everyone else.
    Arrow Left Previous Page
    Page / 2
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top