Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2017 2:41:54 PM EDT
Stock market hitting new highs, Trump easing regulations, even the Paris agreement withdrawal and yet XLE is almost at it's 52 week low today. It's actually been falling since the election at a fairly steady pace.

Anyone with a little better insight explain why it's doing so poorly? I'm just an outsider and have been slowly watching it tumble and have been scratching my head and haven't seen any good explanations why...
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Simple supply & demand equation:  there's too much oil being produced and stored right now.

That said, there are fortunes to be made in oil stocks for those that can stomach putting them away and holding them until oil prices inevitably rise.

As always, the only question is when.

I bought some more VDE today near the bottom of the downward spike at the open.

I've added to my EOG, VLO and SLCA positions in the last few days.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I buy oil stocks (some pay good dividends) and forget I own them. Just be patient.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:27:49 AM EDT
[#3]
What killerB said.
Also to be more specific the US Has become the swing producer now. In the current environment the shale guys are filling the shortfall as soon as there is one. So, unless demand gets going it will look like this.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Barrel prices are still low, so it's the perfect time to buy oil stocks. 
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Barrel prices are still low, so it's the perfect time to buy oil stocks. 
View Quote

That's very specific advice.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Seems to be some political battles between oil, natural gas, coal, renewables, etc. so there may be some concerns
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
China has been suffering on the consumer level, which has reduced demand for petroleum products. They will eventually pick up again and drive up the demand. Also, many developed countries are building infrastructure to support LNG imports in place of distillate oil for heating and power generation. I'm buying stocks that supply natural gas well products and transport LNG. It's not going to take off overnight like a tech stocks will, but natural gas is the most cost effective form of energy these days and will be for quite some time.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Global slowing of economy, O lifting sanctions on Iran(4th largest oil producer), saudi and russians attempt to boost potential shares of aramco ipo. All of that mess is causing mass confusion for oil producers, good for downstream.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy XLE.  Hold it until it doubles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top