Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2017 8:34:58 PM EDT
I am hopefully planning on retiring early. I am going to try and max my 401k or come very close and already max my IRA.

I am looking at opening mutual funds outside of my 401k.

My question is since I am hoping to retire early would it make sense to invest less in my 401k and pay the income tax on it to put it in a regular mutual fund? Or do I have other options?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Why do you want to invest less in the 401k? Do you not like the fund choices available?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I may be wrong one but my thought is if I'm putting 18k in my 401k but retire between 45-55 I would take a big hit to use those funds right?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Have taxable accounts to cover 5 years of living expenses,. Begin Roth conversion ladder from your 401k once you retire.

No penalties, just ordaniry income tax at your AGI rate.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Just save the money you are paying taxes one way or the other..The KEY point is saving money to retire early.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#5]
So I need a traditional IRA and then start a roth conversion ladder 5 years before I will need it?

Also a HSA maxxed out and If I need to I can roll the money from my IRA to the HSA and the taxes and deductions would nearly balance out?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't roll from a IRA to an HSA.

You also have the option of SEPP from your rollover IRA.  

Is your IRA Traditional or Roth?  Maybe switch your IRA contributions to a Roth account: Roth contributions can be withdrawn any time without penalty or tax.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Currently I have a Roth but my main concern is penalty for early withdrawal.

Sounds like the best option is to have enough to cover the years between when I retire and when I hit 59 1/2.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Currently I have a Roth but my main concern is penalty for early withdrawal.

Sounds like the best option is to have enough to cover the years between when I retire and when I hit 59 1/2.
View Quote
The contributions you have made over the years can be withdrawn tax and penalty free prior to 59.5.

Say you've contributed $100k to your Roth in your lifetime, and the total account value is $200k.  The first $100k you withdraw from the account prior to 59.5 will not be subject to penalty as they are your original contributions.  The next 100K WILL be subject to penalty, as they are earnings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top