Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2017 12:37:20 AM EDT
I think I'm pretty well set for my investment portfolio.  I know buying a single stock doesn't equate to much diversification.  But I inherited some money and I want to buy some  just to say I own them and piss off libtards family memebers.  (Thinking Ruger, etc.)  
    What is the easiest and most cost effective way for a novice to buy stock these days?  I'm thinking $1K-$5K.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:04:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Pick an online brokerage.  Read up on the differences but it's not a ton usually.  I wouldn't get into gun stocks now.  They are coming off multi year profit highs, one direction to go.   Wanting T to get under $34 again or KO to move down but I focus on dividend stocks so I'm not the person to ask.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#2]
It'd be a shame to piss away inheritance money on a stock purchase made with emotion ("to piss of libtards").

With that said, almost any online discount broker will do.  I have ETrade and Merrill Lynch and between the two I prefer Merrill Lynch in terms of having a very intuitive user interface and good features.  

I had a TD Ameritrade account awhile ago and that was pretty good as well as I recall but that was 5+ years ago.

Just pick a big name with reasonable commission of less than $10 per trade and go with it.  Everything else will be splitting hairs for what you want to do.  I wouldn't sweat a $7 commission vs. a $10 commission if the higher commission broker has a better service, interface, features ect.  Hopefully you won't be something really stupid like day trading where the commission is going to matter.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I want to buy some  just to say I own them and piss off libtards family memebers.
View Quote

I'm curious, if your cousin owned stock in Target and Starbucks, would this upset you?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm curious, if your cousin owned stock in Target and Starbucks, would this upset you?
View Quote
No.  
For all I know somewhere in the depths of my mutual funds, I own Target and Starbucks.  And you won't see me scrambling to dump them if Target has another data breech or Starbucks levels another "Mom and Pop" store to pump their swill to the masses.  
      I'm looking at it from a pride in ownership perspective.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Robinhood app is what you seek.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It'd be a shame to piss away inheritance money on a stock purchase made with emotion ("to piss of libtards").

With that said, almost any online discount broker will do.  I have ETrade and Merrill Lynch and between the two I prefer Merrill Lynch in terms of having a very intuitive user interface and good features.  

I had a TD Ameritrade account awhile ago and that was pretty good as well as I recall but that was 5+ years ago.

Just pick a big name with reasonable commission of less than $10 per trade and go with it.  Everything else will be splitting hairs for what you want to do.  I wouldn't sweat a $7 commission vs. a $10 commission if the higher commission broker has a better service, interface, features ect.  Hopefully you won't be something really stupid like day trading where the commission is going to matter.
View Quote
This.  I am going to assume that you are young, otherwise you wouldn't care about pissing off libtards.  In fact, they probably won't be pissed, they will simply think less of you.  You can get them to do that for free.

My advice is to place the money in a productive investment.  $5k frittered away when you are young is equivalent to a significant amount of money lost when you are old.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are coming here for investment ideas, go to Vanguard and set up an account, invest in their mutual funds.  You are likely to lose less.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top