Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2017 12:29:41 AM EDT
So, I've recently started a home inspection business after being licensed as a general contractor for over a decade.

Limited background in websites and SEO, so I hired out a local joint with some young tech guys to build me a site for a good deal.

They're gun guys, one I met at my local range, so we speak the same language and my monies are being spent helping a good regime.

Just wanted to get some feedback on how the average person in a large metro market (25 minutes from Nashville, TN) would view the site.

It's been live for about a week.

Edit 5/3 - Thanks for all the input!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks OK.     The phrase "We operate under the most strict standards of practice in the industry...".     -is a little clumsy and run on-ish.       Perhaps change it to "We adhere to the highest standards...".   (Or similar).
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:48:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks OK.     The phrase "We operate under the most strict standards of practice in the industry...".     -is a little clumsy and run on-ish.       Perhaps change it to "We adhere to the highest standards...".   (Or similar).
View Quote
Didn't notice that but agree completely. This is the info I'm taking about. Forwarded to my webmaster.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:51:52 AM EDT
[#3]
It is concise. How many are in your group?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:12:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It is concise. How many are in your group?
View Quote
What do you mean by group?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:13:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Edit*

Sorry, I get what you're getting at.

Myself and two additional inspectors at this point.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:16:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:18:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Ah hell. I'm literally on the phone with the guy currently.

I'm having to constantly "dump caches" on my Mac to view the most up to the minute version.

This is what you get for hiring those millennial types....
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:25:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They made it, but now they can't spell adhere properly.

Between that and the overall flat and uninteresting look of the page, I'd hope it was cheap.

Sorry.
View Quote
Well I'm shooting for business like. Flat, to the point, no filler. And I'll give him that.

I appreciate the thoughts, can you provide some pointers or example sites?

I'm shooting for mobile friendly as well as I'm told over 80% of our views are on mobile.

Flashy colors and small text with multiple links don't lend well to that as I'm told...
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:27:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:41:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I like it. Think it is fine. I do real estate on the side and something like that is about ideal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#11]
One of those roof pictures could be close up of a roof defect.  Hail damaged dimpled shingle or ripped shingle.
Siding exposed, flashing around a vent pipe.
" See what we have found with our amazing 4K camera system. "
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#12]
if you have a actual business location (ie not your garage) list the address. also make a business seem more legit IMO when they have a store front.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Compress your images so it loads quicker...

V
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:11:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I know you're going for flat and business like but it's a little too stark. Needs a couple pages to surf through including an "About Us" page with pics of you and your team, short synopsis of your experience, why you're qualified, and who you are (just a quick line about you personally). People do business with people they like and when they feel a human connections. Site also needs a "contact us" page with form capture so you can generate leads from your site, as that's it's primary purpose: to drum up business.

Also, more copy and keywords will help your site rank better with search engines. Maybe a page about benefits of your services or a story about how you've helped a customer save thousands of dollars. People like that shit. Search engines really like it.

Finally, when the site loads for me in Google Chrome I notice 2 things visually: There needs to be an additional space between "Graham Inspection" and " Inspected Once, Inspected Right" because the two lines overlap. Also, your phone number & email is cut off on the right hand side, the most important info on the site.

I really like the picture of the inside of the house and the logo, and think it's a great start for a new startup. At some point get some testimonials from your customers and offer a $20 gift cert in exchange for a Google Review....which you start by getting your business listed on Google. Google reviews have a huge impact on site ranking.

Good Luck with your new venture OP.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#15]
So many things wrong here. You need to start over.

1. navigation, where is it?
2. lack of a mobile version, this is 2017, this site is built from 1990's?
3. pics are way too large and does nothing for your site.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:13:17 AM EDT
[#16]
On my iPad it seems crowded on the right side.  

Attachment Attached File

When first getting to your site all I see is a pic of someone's living room.   Tried screenshot of what I see there but saying the file is too large.

Who are you and why are you qualified, where's an office I can come to if I'm confused or want to make sure your a legit local company?

If you're licensed, bonded insured or any of that feel good stuff, list it people like it.  

I don't feel like you really told me why to get my home inspected.  Throw some scare in there, I'm a contractor as well, tell the client some of the expensive dangerous stuff that can be easily missed or not seen until you dig in there.  Not saying try and scare them out of a purchase but tell the, what you can help find from your experience.  

Change "purchasing a home Is the largest investment our clients make in their lifetime " to can be or something, it is for a lot of people but not for everyone.  

If I remember at the office I'll look at it on my desktop and make sure it works well on the browsers on there too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:03:55 AM EDT
[#17]
You posted this site on the NACHI forum, and have been asked to prove your claim that you and your inspectors are Certified Master Inspectors.

Your name is not on the Certified Master Inspector website.

Why have you not returned to the NACHI forum to answer?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#18]
maybe provide a checklist of what you inspect - starting at site, exterior, foundations, etc..  to give the layperson some more detail about what a home inspection entails
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Thank you everyone for the input. There's a lot of valuable info here that I never thought twice about before.

I've made sure that our physical office location is added to the site to help with SEO.

We now have a mobile page.

In the process of an "About Us", "Why Get My Home Inspected Page", and "Contact Us" pages.

Interesting points about google chrome. I've only tried safari and firefox, perhaps I need to download chrome and give it a look as things seem to be appearing differently.

Good idea about the gift certificates and reviews.

My website guy failed to make the distinction between "Certified Professional Inspector" and "Certified Master Inspector".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top