Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2017 9:53:54 AM EDT
Just sat down with a NW Mutual financial planner... I think I am in decent financial shape and have goals, on track to meet them, etc etc. I use Vanguard for investing so super low fees. Have no kids. Is there EVER a reason I would use this guys (or others) services? He started talking about permanent life insurance which I assume is Whole life? Can't you just invest in your own Vanguard account and get better returns? Nice enough guy, but it comes down to the numbers and it doesn't seem to add up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a rule,,,NEVER take financial advice from anyone that doesn`t have more money than I do,,,OP do your own homework and save the fees,,,no life insurance either,,,you`ll never get a chance to spend it
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Whole life insurance policies are basically a scam.  You are much better off getting short term life insurance and investing the left over in the stock market.
Term Life Insurance Better Than Whole Life?

I would tell this financial planner thanks but no thanks. Remember they make a living by selling you insurance and investments. Financial planners are for people who have ZERO clue what to do with their money or for people who wake up one day realize theyre 55 and were hoping to retired by 65. In a panic they go to a financial planner to get a crash course on handling money trying to get their finances back on track.

My wife and I went to see a financial planner because it was free through her company. We explained how we paid off our student loans, both cars and our home early, then gave him our net worth, income, saving/investing rates and discussed our short term, and longer terms. 10 minutes into our hour long meeting he just laughed and said we didn't need him as we were already doing everything he recommends to most clients.

Theres really only a few key principals you need to know to become wealthy.
1) Pay off debt
2) Stay out of debt
3) Keep 6 months of expenses in your checking account
4) Invest a minimum of 10% in a 401k (Max it out at $18,000 if you can)
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a rule,,,NEVER take financial advice from anyone that doesn`t have more money than I do,,,OP do your own homework and save the fees,,,no life insurance either,,,you`ll never get a chance to spend it
View Quote
I don't buy ins for investing. Might be a fit for some folks, just not me. Or an annuity. My mother has a financial advisor that my brother picked from several different t providers. He interviewed them in his office and went from there. She gets about 60k a year plus SS. My dad was a good investor. He's dead now, but he did a great job. Mom will never run out of money. Pick wisely. Good advice in this forum.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just sat down with a NW Mutual financial planner... I think I am in decent financial shape and have goals, on track to meet them, etc etc. I use Vanguard for investing so super low fees. Have no kids. Is there EVER a reason I would use this guys (or others) services? He started talking about permanent life insurance which I assume is Whole life? Can't you just invest in your own Vanguard account and get better returns? Nice enough guy, but it comes down to the numbers and it doesn't seem to add up.
View Quote

el oh el

I can write a book on all the shit I see.

Ask him how much he is going to make on the sale.

I wish I could help you, but I can't.

We could give him a call on the phone and talk trash to him.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#5]
When I bought my 30 year term policy, I asked my agent how much he makes off of it. He said he gets all of the premiums for the first year, and then 3% each month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top