Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2017 12:02:42 PM EDT
My birthday is next week. I've had the stark realization I'm not quite where I should be with my retirement, and whoa buddy. Thats a hot poker in the ass to get motivated!

Current situation:
 Fidelity:
  Company provided 401k
  Rollover IRA

TD Ameritrade:
  SimpleIRA

Vanguard:
  Roth IRA

My 2 big questions here are whether I should consolidate everything with Fidelity and how can I make a post tax contribution to a pretax investment vehicle...ie...How can I put money into my rollover IRA or SimpleIRA? 

A big more on that, I have no compelling reason to roll everything into Fidelity outside of ease of management. Having 1 web portal to log into to manage all my investments would be a bit more convenient than having 3 different web portals to log in to. The contribution bit really confuses me. IRAs are supposed to use pretax dollars (I thought?!) but I have no way to set up a pretax deduction from my paycheck to make contributions to anything outside of the company provided 401k. If I do make a post tax contribution (Write a check) do I end up claiming that on my taxes or some such and get a reduction on my income for purposes of filing taxes?

I had briefly thought it was nice to have more than 1 company to have investments in, sort of an "Eggs in one basket". If 1 company were to utterly fail it would protect me a bit. Then I realized if it got to the point the assets of one of these major players were completely wiped out....Well, everything else is probably not far behind because thats something of a "game over" event I think!

Anyways curious how to best get this all cleaned up....Or whether I should do nothing at all?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#1]
you need to talk to a cpa about the specifics but you can contribute, depending on your age, quite a bit to the company 401k.  Talk to your HR about contributing more.  The simple IRA and the role over could be combined I believe if there is any advantage.  After that if your income is not too high you may be able to contribute to a ROTH with after tax dollars.  First max your pre tax contributions.  I am not a professional tax or financial adviser but that is my dog sense on the matter.  I do what my CPA says I can do.  lol
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My birthday is next week. I've had the stark realization I'm not quite where I should be with my retirement, and whoa buddy. Thats a hot poker in the ass to get motivated!

Current situation:
 Fidelity:
  Company provided 401k
  Rollover IRA

TD Ameritrade:
  SimpleIRA

Vanguard:
  Roth IRA

My 2 big questions here are whether I should consolidate everything with Fidelity and how can I make a post tax contribution to a pretax investment vehicle...ie...How can I put money into my rollover IRA or SimpleIRA? 

A big more on that, I have no compelling reason to roll everything into Fidelity outside of ease of management. Having 1 web portal to log into to manage all my investments would be a bit more convenient than having 3 different web portals to log in to. The contribution bit really confuses me. IRAs are supposed to use pretax dollars (I thought?!) but I have no way to set up a pretax deduction from my paycheck to make contributions to anything outside of the company provided 401k. If I do make a post tax contribution (Write a check) do I end up claiming that on my taxes or some such and get a reduction on my income for purposes of filing taxes?

I'm reading your first question and this question as basically the same, but worded differently. Your employer has a 401k plan to which you can make pre-tax contributions directly from your paycheck. Some employers also offer a Roth 401k to which you can make post-tax contributions and the interest earnings are not taxed when they are withdrawn in retirement (same concept as Roth IRA except its employer-sponsored). Then you have IRAs which can be traditional or Roth. The traditional uses pre-tax dollars, but you actually deposit post-tax dollars and claim it on your tax return. I've never known a way to contribute pre-tax dollars directly to a traditional IRA. The Roth IRA uses post-tax dollars and you deposit post-tax dollars. You still claim it on your tax return, but it doesn't have any effect on your balance owed or refunded.

I had briefly thought it was nice to have more than 1 company to have investments in, sort of an "Eggs in one basket". If 1 company were to utterly fail it would protect me a bit. Then I realized if it got to the point the assets of one of these major players were completely wiped out....Well, everything else is probably not far behind because thats something of a "game over" event I think!

While the investment company could fail (extremely unlikely for any of the 3 you listed), your money is invested in the market. I suppose there's the possibility of the company selling all their positions in the market and not returning funds to the investors, but we're getting into some really shady deals that would be nearly impossible to pull off and even harder to hide.

Anyways curious how to best get this all cleaned up....Or whether I should do nothing at all?
View Quote
The only reasons I see to do anything is if you strongly prefer to have one web site to view all of your investments, or one company offers investment fund options that you want and one of the other companies doesn't have that. Another reason could be fees and expense ratios, but I don't think any of those three are terribly expensive, although Vanguard is probably the lowest.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#3]
do you use any of the three firms research? Or do you wing it?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
do you use any of the three firms research? Or do you wing it?
View Quote
I do a bit of research but honestly I am aware enough to realize I cant beat the market. I follow a general "3 fund" strategy although I dont adhere to it strictly....ie...In the TD account I have I 5 funds rather than 3. 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Other than as you state, convenience, the first reason to consider consolidating everything at Vanguard (eventually) are lower expenses (I haven't checked Fidelity's expenses in a long while, but Vanguard has the lowest expenses in the industry; Fidelity may match them here and there, but fund for fund, Vanguard will charge you lower management fees).  The second reason to eventually consolidate everything in one place is RMDs:  once you reach 70.5 you will be required to start emptying your (non-Roth) IRAs; while wherever you have your $ scattered should compute your RMDs for each account, it's much simpler if everything ends up being rolled into one account.  The only reason not to merge a rolled over 401(k) with your IRA(s) is if you think you might someday want to re-roll your 401(k) back to an employer plan...which IMO is a) not likely ever especially since it's already at a good place like Fidelity and b) isn't possible (without some complications) once you retire and/or reach 70.5.

To make non-deductible contributions to your IRA(s) you simply transfer the $ in (send a check, bank transfer, however) and complete IRS Form 8606.  It doesn't count for anything except someday when you withdraw it you won't be taxed on it but guess what?  Since the IRS wants the tax $ you avoided paying all those years the taxable $ has to be withdrawn first.  Thanks IRS!

How much you can contribute to IRA(s) depends on your age:  if you're less than 50, you can contribute a maximum of $5,500.  If you're 50 or more you technically are not eligible to contribute to an IRA but you can make "catch-up" contributions of up to $6,500...so $5,500 up to 50, $6,500 50 or over.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:07:35 AM EDT
[#6]
You can put just over $17,000 into your 401(k) every year, unless your employer has some crazy rules and you're one of the higher earners... You should also be able to add $5,500-6,500 to your IRA depending on income level, you'll need to talk to your CPA about that

Typically, you get a lot from diversifying your investments, but all you get from diversifying firms is paying higher commissions and annual fees. You don't have to keep all your eggs in one basket, but you want all your chickens on the same farm, so to speak. Pick the one you like the most and go with them. There's research to show that around 95% of successful investing comes from asset allocation and time in the market, actual investment selection is around 1% of your overall success.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top