Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 10:11:05 AM EDT
I'm just starting to do some research and wanted to see what I need to know regarding withholding, filing taxes, and any other implications of investing in foreign stocks. My primary account is with Tradeking, are there any benefits to investing in foreign stocks from other platforms?

I invest primarily for dividend growth. I currently have a base of healthy and consistent dividend payers that are all US companies, and it's time to diversify. I was reading about currency risk last night and opportunities in countries like Britain as the exchange rate can increase returns as Brexit concerns ease up and level out their economy. I've never thought about that, just trying to get any further insight.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:15:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I invested in ADRs of a couple pharmaceuticals and the dividends just show up on my Scottrade 1099-DIV. If I recall it is in a different box on the 1099-DIV
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:13:03 AM EDT
[#2]
For diversification purposes they're great. You're right on with the currency risk, a lot of times foreign investments have an inverse relationship with the US dollar but that isn't always the case.

Nestle and Shell Oil are 2 great international companies I like right now, but as your post mentioned, foreign withholding on dividends and gains may apply.

The amount that you put into the int'l sector all depends on your risk tolerance and time horizon/goals
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top