Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2017 1:36:58 PM EDT
I want to double my mortgage payments and I was wondering how's the best way to go about it. I want to pay it off the quickest and with the least amount of interest. For simplicity sake I'll use easy numbers. The mortgage is $500 a month would I be better off:
A. Pay $500 every other week or
B. Pay $1000 every month ($1500 two months a year)
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Just make sure it goes on the principal, not all loans allow you to do that without penalty.

Check your loan terms.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I want to double my mortgage payments and I was wondering how's the best way to go about it. I want to pay it off the quickest and with the least amount of interest. For simplicity sake I'll use easy numbers. The mortgage is $500 a month would I be better off:
A. Pay $500 every other week or
B. Pay $1000 every month ($1500 two months a year)
View Quote

Doesnt make a difference. Either way would be mathematically the same since mortgage interest is calculated once per month. Do whichever method you're more likely to be disciplined in sticking to.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
See if this link helps.

Which ever you choose, do keep up with it as any extra money we sent in the loan place would put it toward next months payment instead of principal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Your extra payment probably won't apply biweekly, they charge extra for mortgages that are on that basis.

My home equity loan would allow me to make principal payments whenever I wanted though, and it was no charge to get. IIRC there wasn't a TON of difference between paying the extra monthly vs biweekly vs weekly but I paid extra every week anyways.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure you get a new schedule after you make the extra payment. Too often they took up the calculations especially if you are not permanently changing the payment amount
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the interest is tabulated once per month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top