Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2017 6:53:13 AM EDT
My wife and I max out a Roth IRA, and I contribute 5% monthly to a non matching 401k and have been doing so for about 10 years now.  My wife recently got an excellent job with a matching 401k. Apparently they match 50% until you have been there for 4 years or so then it rises as you work there longer, up to 80% match (I think). My job is secure, I will retire where I am at. Her job is secure as well but she doesn't know if she will make a career of it or retire there.

My question is, assuming I can't contribute 5% or more of both my pay and hers to separate 401ks, should I stop contributing 5% to mine and go all in on hers to capitalize on the matching incentives? I know it seems like a no brainer but the only thing I am worried about is my 401k has 10 years of maturity that will be put on hold. Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#1]
There's no such thing as "maturity" associated with a 401(k) unless there is a vesting requirement; if you're vested you're good.

I would consider doing a minimum contribution to yours just to keep it "active" unless you really can't swing it.  I have heard of plans where if you do suspend all contributions you're out for a specified time before you can restart them; may not be a concern with your plan.

Generally speaking you should always maximize the "free" (matching) $.  In your case, sine your match is 0, it easy, otherwise you'd have to consider your pay differential and matching differential to determine which combination of contributions would maximize your match.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Her plan sounds better, but try it at 5% first and see if you can live on it for a few months. If you can swing it you will thank yourself when you get to retirement age. if you cant do it cut back to 1% just so its active.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Like Killer said, there's no "maturity" with 401k accounts. Your account will still continue to fluctuate with the market. Once you're vested, which usually only applies to plans with employer contributions, your 401k is yours and that's it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Her plan sounds better, but try it at 5% first and see if you can live on it for a few months. If you can swing it you will thank yourself when you get to retirement age. if you cant do it cut back to 1% just so its active.
View Quote

This, plus look at the fine print on account management costs.

I'm guessing that maximizing the match is the way to go, though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
One thing to be clear on is the percent matching....there are actually 2 different percentages involved and based upon your post I suspect there may be some confusion.

Matching percentage: the percentage the employer will pay with respect to the amount the employee paid. IE, 50% match, the employer pays $1 for every $2 your wife contributes
Matching limit percentage: the percentage of the employee's pay at which the employer stops matching. Most employers stop at 5%. IE, Your wife makes $100k per year, the employer will match her contributions up to 5% of her yearly salary, or $5k.

Therefore, it's possible to have 50% matching up to 5% cap. IE, if your wife makes $100k/yr and contributes $5k, the employer will match up to $2500.

That being said, generally you should max out any matching potential if it does not jeopardize your personal finances.

If I were in your position I would stop contributions to my own 401k to allow our personal finances to accommodate a higher contribution to hers. One thing to keep in mind is the annual contribution limits laid out by the IRS (IIRC 18,500 this year). Don't allow her contributions to exceed that amount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top