Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't report any cash sales
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no such thing as making too much money

It seems like you have already purchased what you need, so pay the tax and enjoy your profit
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#6]
HSA
Health savings account you can put up to I believe this years limit is $6700 for a family
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]

What equipment can you buy to dump the money back into the business?  Need a new truck?
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Profit sharing with your employees?
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no such thing as making too much money

It seems like you have already purchased what you need, so pay the tax and enjoy your profit
View Quote

I like the way you think.

No one hates paying taxes more than I do, but some times it is the best thing to do.

I hate the way income tax distorts decision making.

Repeal the 16th amendment.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Ask your accountant if he knows any good retirement plan advisors.  Depending on your age, the age of your employees and the likelihood that they will choose to participate in an retirement plan, it may be well worth it.

When my father-in-law started his company, he was in his 60s and all the employees were in their 20s.  His CPA had him set up an old school defined benefit plan.  That permitted him to contribute a lot for himself and only a little bit for his employees.  A lot of times, younger and/or lower income choose not to participate even if they can.

Sounds like you or your accountant should be more proactive.  We offer our clients the opportunity to do tax planning quarterly.  Updating their estimated tax calculations avoids ugly surprises at year-end (or worse yet, in March and April).
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Each truck needs a Milwaukee thermal .  Get the $2500 ones. 
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I will look into this. Thank you for the advice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HSA
Health savings account you can put up to I believe this years limit is $6700 for a family

Generally S Corp owners cannot have HSA contributions pre taxed. They can take them post tax but wouldn't save you shit.

I'll follow up a little later walking into business dinner meeting :(
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Do you have a separate shop from your home address ?
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No, I have already purchased three new vehicles this year, all the tools we could ever want, trailer, etc...

I need nothing for the business, and I mean nothing, it's 100% stocked.

I went out and bought a $50k pickup truck I don't need earlier this week to dump money.

Aimless, accountant said $5500 was the max we could invest this year, not sure why and that's why I am asking here.

I have another $20k I could dump by the 1st to be comfortable with the tax liability.

I absolutely hate coughing up so much to the .gov, it makes me sick.
View Quote

This is asinine. It's also a common trap to fall into and one i've fell into myself.

NEVER. NEVER. Spend money just "for the writeoff". If you were going to buy it in a few months anyway, good. Go buy it.

Think this way. You made 100k profit. You can buy 2 new pickups you didn't need and watch them lose value every year, or you could have 70k cash in the bank.

If you really don't want to pay taxes, expand. Buy some rentals, hire more guys, do something but don't throw it away. I buy rentals myself but i'm not afraid to take cash distributions and pay taxes if the need arises. Doesn't bother me a bit.

It used to, so I blew all my money on equipment and bullshit that didn't need bought. Just to stick it to the man! Yeah, that'll show the irs. You see it all the time with small business guys. You won't ever see a large operation do it. They'll pre pay some bills, update some things they already planned to update, do planned expansions, take a distribution if they haven't hit their limit set by the bank or pay down notes so they can survive another downturn.

Just my 2 cents, from a guy that used to do the same thing and but knows the numbers didn't justify it.

The guy above said it perfectly. Why spend 50k to avoid spending 20k?

If the transmission goes out in a pickup and you don't want to spend that much, do you ask the mechanic to replace the engine and the transmission while he is there? Nope.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Set up and fund a charitable trust.  The funding counts to this year's liability but you can write the donation checks out later.  Iirc
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Open a SEP IRA for every employee of the business.

If you get a contribution, everyone else has to get one as well, although it can be for different amounts. The maximum the company can contribute to your personal SEP IRA is 25% of your yearly income. There is a cap, around $55,000 a year that it can contribute.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I 100% agree with you except I was caught with my pants down this first year, I didn't plan on making this much (4th quarter was very very good) and we honestly didn't have the personal funds to cover the taxes, it would have emptied our personal savings. I could have run the company profits through payroll (35% taxed) and then payed my taxes (we are in the 25% bracket). That's a huge hit to take to shuffle money around to cover a tax liability we didn't plan for properly.
View Quote

Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly, but you're an S-corp, why would you have to pay tax at the corporate level, and then at the personal level? It should all pass through at the personal level income tax.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Mount a plow and salt spreader to one of those trucks.  Hire a guy to run it and make lots more money by expanding the scope of your business.  It's a good problem to have as a business owner, but you should be able to find some way for it to make you more money in the long run.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The way it was explained to me, and again I am new to all this, is that any profit the company shows is taxed as myself. So the company made out very well and I am responsible for the taxes, but the company cannot directly pay for those taxes, the money has to come from my personal account. Therefore if I don't have enough in my account I first have to run any company money through payroll to pay myself and then pay the taxes.

Correct?
View Quote

Our CPA had us take a company check, write it to you personally, deposit the check, then pay the taxes. Anything left over, write a check in that amount, back to the company.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I 100% agree with you except I was caught with my pants down this first year, I didn't plan on making this much (4th quarter was very very good) and we honestly didn't have the personal funds to cover the taxes, it would have emptied our personal savings. I could have run the company profits through payroll (35% taxed) and then payed my taxes (we are in the 25% bracket). That's a huge hit to take to shuffle money around to cover a tax liability we didn't plan for properly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is asinine. It's also a common trap to fall into and one i've fell into myself.

NEVER. NEVER. Spend money just "for the writeoff". If you were going to buy it in a few months anyway, good. Go buy it.

Think this way. You made 100k profit. You can buy 2 new pickups you didn't need and watch them lose value every year, or you could have 70k cash in the bank.

If you really don't want to pay taxes, expand. Buy some rentals, hire more guys, do something but don't throw it away. I buy rentals myself but i'm not afraid to take cash distributions and pay taxes if the need arises. Doesn't bother me a bit.

It used to, so I blew all my money on equipment and bullshit that didn't need bought. Just to stick it to the man! Yeah, that'll show the irs. You see it all the time with small business guys. You won't ever see a large operation do it. They'll pre pay some bills, update some things they already planned to update, do planned expansions, take a distribution if they haven't hit their limit set by the bank or pay down notes so they can survive another downturn.

Just my 2 cents, from a guy that used to do the same thing and but knows the numbers didn't justify it.

Been there. Done all that.  Hopefully you take the lesson to plan ahead with your cpa so you dont get yourself in that situation again. Most small business owners went through it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The way it was explained to me, and again I am new to all this, is that any profit the company shows is taxed as myself. So the company made out very well and I am responsible for the taxes, but the company cannot directly pay for those taxes, the money has to come from my personal account. Therefore if I don't have enough in my account I first have to run any company money through payroll to pay myself and then pay the taxes.

Correct?
View Quote

Correct. And now you know what you need to put aside.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Correct?
View Quote

That is a c corp. I dont believe that is true for any a corp setup ive seen or had, unless i misunderstand. An s corp is a pass through entity.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Correct, and the tax liability passes though to me, just can"t let the money pass through unless it's taxed.
View Quote

My accountant always said i could leave a certain small % in the business, but most of the profit must through. The tax liability went to me at the same time the money went to me. Its not 2 events, only 1. The tax liability is bc the money was passed to you as a distribution.

Im not a cpa though, but i dont remember any double taxation as you describe. I had 100k profit (i already drew a salary) so 100k was distributed and i was taxed on it at 20% or whatever.

Just my 2 cents. I understand enough to avoid most taxes but i still get confused. My accountant got bought out by a top 50 firm so i assume he is good. Hope anyway.

I dont think either of us know enough to debate it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Umm, my truck needs one. ;).  I'll settle for the $500 one.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Assuming your company is actually an S corporation and not a C corporation, your accountant needs to do a better job of explaining how S corporation income taxation works.  It sounds to me like you might need a better accountant.

If it is an S corporation, the corporation's taxable income will be reported to you on a Schedule K-1.  Then it will be reported as income on your 1040 (on page 2 of Schedule E).  The income is not taxed at all at the corporate level.  There are ways to take cash out of an S corporation (other than as compensation) so you can use it to pay the tax on the K-1 income on your return.  Your accountant should know what your options are.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

100%.

The next year I will be much more vigilant about this, as will my CPA.

Just sucks that I dropped the ball this year, didn't make any real mistakes until this point.
View Quote

Pat yourself on the back. You did a great job and made money!! Too much!
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No, I have already purchased three new vehicles this year, all the tools we could ever want, trailer, etc...

I need nothing for the business, and I mean nothing, it's 100% stocked.

I went out and bought a $50k pickup truck I don't need earlier this week to dump money.

Aimless, accountant said $5500 was the max we could invest this year, not sure why and that's why I am asking here.

I have another $20k I could dump by the 1st to be comfortable with the tax liability.

I absolutely hate coughing up so much to the .gov, it makes me sick.
View Quote

I don't understand spending money on stuff you don't need just to 'save'  money from taxes.  Either way that money isn't where you want it to be,  I'd rather have 60% of the cash to do what I want with than have 100% of it tied up in something I don't need. That's just me though.

Eta I need to read the whole thread.   You can take a draw from profits. Go and take the money straight out of the business bank account if you need to.  I have an S-corp. My accountant takes my taxes straight from my business account.  I get a w-2 from my business,  but the rest is "dividend".  And that dividend is whatever my net income is on my corporate return.  Yes,  I pay tax on it,  because that net income is my money.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Want to buy a Cattle Ranch in Texas? Wildlife everywhere and the gun range is already set up. Will finance with down payment.

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Depreciation on assets?

Real Estate?

Building materials you'll need in the future anyway?
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Generally S Corp owners cannot have HSA contributions pre taxed. They can take them post tax but wouldn't save you shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
HSA

I am an S corp. I show taking a "reasonable" salary and fully contribute to an HSA. Ive been with my CPA for 10 years and have been an S corp for the last 2. Maybe its a hold over from pre S corp days. I dont know he would have to talk to his accountant.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top