Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2016 5:26:30 AM EDT
Currently putting in 10%, and thinking of going to 15%.
Tired of making .0002% on my so called "high yield" savings account.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:26:24 AM EDT
[#1]
No, it is never the wrong time to increase 401k contributions.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:26:36 AM EDT
[#2]
im in a similar position, have you funded a roth ira?

it may be smarter to go there instead of the 401k.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#3]
"Timing" the market may, or may not, be possible.     However, the amount you are talking about is so small, that it's a moot point.  If you can afford it, then why not do it?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, it is never the wrong time to increase 401k contributions.
View Quote

This.

If you think you can time the market, you can always sit in a money market until you think it's time to get back in.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's never the wrong time to increase your contributions. On the other hand it's always the wrong time to decrease.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

On the other hand it's always the wrong time to decrease.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to explain this?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Does your 401k have adequate investment options? Mine does not (5 fund choices); therefore, I put enough for the full company match, and then max out a Roth IRA.

For liquid savings, I suggest looking at Ally bank. They offer a full 1.00% on savings accounts. It's an online-only bank, but it's very easy to transfer funds. I'm making more than I would at my credit union for the savings I'd like to remain cash and relatively risk-free.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Care to explain this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to explain this?

Looking at it from a passive investment standpoint, time in the market is key.
See article - http://awealthofcommonsense.com/2014/02/worlds-worst-market-timer/

I'm not a financial genius, but I know enough to know that I am not intelligent enough to beat/time the market on a continual basis.

I should specify: never the wrong time if you are financially capable, and your 401K has good options.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

See article - http://awealthofcommonsense.com/2014/02/worlds-worst-market-timer/

I'm not a financial genius, but I know enough to know that I am not intelligent enough to beat/time the market on a continual basis.

I should specify: never the wrong time if you are financially capable, and your 401K has good options.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to explain this?

So a person that has been financially irresponsible in the past, has $50k in credit card debts at 15-22% interest, but has started down the path to financial freedom, is financially capable of upping 401k contributions, or can decrease contributions, should never decrease, always increase, even if it means holding onto the bad debt longer?

Mmmmmk.... and this is why the B&I forum has been on a gentle down-slide... people that may or may not actually know what they are talking about giving black and white advice when the real world isn't black and white, it's gray...

One size does not, in fact, fit all... the best advice for one person may be the worst for another... I try to keep that in mind in all my posts here because everybody has different priorities, different situations, and different goals. While I'm sure our personal philosophy is much closer than you may think, I wholeheartedly disagree with what you said.

Case in point; a few years ago I had unusually high income. I needed to reduce my tax liability to still be able to hit some financial thresholds for tax-credits etc, at the same time I was putting money away for a down-payment for our dream house/land. Because I can take a 401k loan, I decided that I can kill 2 birds with one stone, take money that otherwise would have gone into normal investments, and park it in my 401k with the actual intention to borrow from it one day if needed. I contributed the max that year, and worked out beautifully, but had I followed your advice I NEVER would have decreased my contributions back down from the max, possibly putting my family in financial jeopardy if we ever had a need for the added income stream... The plan worked out great; had I taken the money as taxable income I would have ~65% of the money in-hand, and I would have missed out on ~$3000 in tax credits/deductions; but because I contributed to my 401k with the intent to re-borrow that money, I had an extra ~$7k for me to utilize as a down-payment on my house; and I used it too, and despite what many will say, it was a wise financial decision for me and my situation (and I'm not just a nobody in making financially sound decisions, nearly had my 1st mortgage paid off before I hit 30)...
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So a person that has been financially irresponsible in the past, has $50k in credit card debts at 15-22% interest, but has started down the path to financial freedom, is financially capable of upping 401k contributions, or can decrease contributions, should never decrease, always increase, even if it means holding onto the bad debt longer?

Mmmmmk.... and this is why the B&I forum has been on a gentle down-slide... people that may or may not actually know what they are talking about giving black and white advice when the real world isn't black and white, it's gray...

One size does not, in fact, fit all... the best advice for one person may be the worst for another... I try to keep that in mind in all my posts here because everybody has different priorities, different situations, and different goals. While I'm sure our personal philosophy is much closer than you may think, I wholeheartedly disagree with what you said.

Case in point; a few years ago I had unusually high income. I needed to reduce my tax liability to still be able to hit some financial thresholds for tax-credits etc, at the same time I was putting money away for a down-payment for our dream house/land. Because I can take a 401k loan, I decided that I can kill 2 birds with one stone, take money that otherwise would have gone into normal investments, and park it in my 401k with the actual intention to borrow from it one day if needed. I contributed the max that year, and worked out beautifully, but had I followed your advice I NEVER would have decreased my contributions back down from the max, possibly putting my family in financial jeopardy if we ever had a need for the added income stream... The plan worked out great; had I taken the money as taxable income I would have ~65% of the money in-hand, and I would have missed out on ~$3000 in tax credits/deductions; but because I contributed to my 401k with the intent to re-borrow that money, I had an extra ~$7k for me to utilize as a down-payment on my house; and I used it too, and despite what many will say, it was a wise financial decision for me and my situation (and I'm not just a nobody in making financially sound decisions, nearly had my 1st mortgage paid off before I hit 30)...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to explain this?

See bolded above. Was a general statement given the lack of detail by OP. Also insinuated by OP that his money was in a savings account, meaning he had the money to invest (assuming this was any amount above emergency fund).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top