Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2016 9:06:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#1]
make your investments decisions based on fundamentals and investment goals.  Do not make investment decisions based on emotions or sentimental feelings.  Just saying.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#3]
OP, I don't believe that you're able to buy stock direct, you need to use a broker. i.e. you can't go to Cisco and say "I want to purchase some shares please." That won't be allowed as far as I know.

As for getting the exact same stock you were bequeathed by your mother, that's not going to happen. Those shares have gone back into the collective pool of available shares and may have been purchased by someone else. That's not saying you can't purchase existing shares in the same company if they're available.

If you purchase stock in the same company as you had before, then you will receive current shares. They will already be adjusted for current splits and will not include shares from any other companies.

I could be wrong on this.
I am not a financial expert.
I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express.
I can't even pick winning football teams.
Take this advice for what you feel it's worth.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I believe I have purchased stock in other companies directly in the past.
I must not made of myself clear. I'm not looking at purchasing the actual same physical certificates.

I am wanting to purchase stock in the same company.  

My actual question is if there is any difference between buying stock direct through their investor relations department, or buying through my TD Ameritrade account.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, I don't believe that you're able to buy stock direct, you need to use a broker. i.e. you can't go to Cisco and say "I want to purchase some shares please." That won't be allowed as far as I know.

As for getting the exact same stock you were bequeathed by your mother, that's not going to happen. Those shares have gone back into the collective pool of available shares and may have been purchased by someone else. That's not saying you can't purchase existing shares in the same company if they're available.

If you purchase stock in the same company as you had before, then you will receive current shares. They will already be adjusted for current splits and will not include shares from any other companies.

I must not made of myself clear. I'm not looking at purchasing the actual same physical certificates.

My actual question is if there is any difference between buying stock direct through their investor relations department, or buying through my TD Ameritrade account.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish exactly, most (not all, most) companies don't issue certificates anymore even by request. So essentially it's just words on a computer screen.

Google the company, if it was bought out or merged, etc, you aren't going to be able to buy stock in the old company.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

AFAIK, there is no way to buy through "investor relations". Maybe through a DRIP.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll break it down to its simplest form....

Is there ANY benefit to buying stock directly through an investor relations department over an online broker?
View Quote

No.

Investor relations is usually going to refer you to an outside broker. I'm not aware of any that actually sell stock directly.

Most online brokers charge 10 bucks for a trade. You're over analyzing this. Even if you can buy direct for 7, how much is 3 dollars really worth.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I just wanted to make sure if there is a spinoff or stock split, that I get it.

I think everyone else was over-analizing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there ANY benefit to buying stock directly through an investor relations department over an online broker?

No.

Investor relations is usually going to refer you to an outside broker. I'm not aware of any that actually sell stock directly.

Most online brokers charge 10 bucks for a trade. You're over analyzing this. Even if you can buy direct for 7, how much is 3 dollars really worth.

I think that happened also.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

The investor relations dept will most likely direct you to an outfit like Computer Share.  The investor relations page on the company website will direct you to such a service if it is available.  (It may not be).  Some cos, but not all, will sell you shares direct to get started in a dividend re-investment program.

There are pros & cons either way.  Most brokers will now re-invest dividends for you..

There are still a handful of cos with DRIPs which will let you re-invest your dividends in the stock at a discount.  WTR, for example.  This can be a good approach.

Other than the discount price on rej-invested dividends, there is not a great deal of difference.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Companies no longer sell stock direct to the public. They will tell you to go to a broker or to their their management company like Compushare.
I purchased some stock direct 35 years ago. I still own it but the certificates were called in decades ago to be recorded by their management company.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by benefits of the spinoff.

If your family owned the stock and there were splits/spinoffs before the bank cashed you out, your family will have the benefit of all the splits/spinoffs. However since the bank sold you out then you must have received the cash for the original plus spinoffs.

If you purchase the same original stock company today, you would NOT get the benefits of past splits/spinoffs. You will get the benefit of any future split/spinoffs regardless of whether you purchased it Compushare or a broker
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#14]
you can buy quite a few companies shares on Computershare thru a DRIP with little or no fee, i have several

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

all that stock split, dividend date etc have to do with when you actually owned the stock. The stock does not care where it is held.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:30:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top