Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2016 1:57:36 AM EDT
I have an Edward Jones Roth IRA Currently valued at $5100. Should I roll it over somewhere else? if so where?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 2:51:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have anything (investments) anywhere else?

It doesn't really matter where it is unless you are trying to invest in something that isn't offered by the firm you're at and/or their management fees are excessive.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 3:57:13 AM EDT
[#2]
15K in a separate 401K. My contributions there are maxed out and matched every year.

I guess it would be important to note, I am 28. I am not that far behind in where my retirement accounts should be.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't worry about moving it unless you are unhappy with EJ.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#4]
The fact Edward Jones keeps getting sued by customers concerns me. I'm not sure how I feel about their ethical violations.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fact Edward Jones keeps getting sued by customers concerns me. I'm not sure how I feel about their ethical violations.
View Quote

Examples?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]
There's not much they can do wrong with an IRA.

Vanguard has among if not the lowest expense ratios.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anyone can sue. Maybe you should form an opinion first rather than switching bc you arent sure?

My company switched so i didnt get a choice.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Examples?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Examples?

www.investmentnews.com/article/20160822/FREE/160829991/edward-jones-faces-proposed-class-action-lawsuit-over-excessive-401
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Anyone can sue. Maybe you should form an opinion first rather than switching bc you arent sure?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had them for over 4 years. I've watched them be sued a few times. On the flip side my aivsx investment is doing well.

Funny, everyone hates on their American funds. Then when I bring up how to switch and who to switch too, they get defended. I'm confused.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've had them for over 4 years. I've watched them be sued a few times. On the flip side my aivsx investment is doing well.

Funny, everyone hates on their American funds. Then when I bring up how to switch and who to switch too, they get defended. I'm confused.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, being sued means nothing. Large companies get sued all of the time. If you agree with the lawsuits and believe that edward jones was unethical, then that's fair, you should find another company. "They got sued for being unethical" and "I believe they are an unethical company" are two completely different things.

I was kind of happy they dropped our plan and moved it to john hancock. I wasn't terribly impressed with my local edward jones guy and their fees on buying funds were too high. Killed me to pay that much so I only did the employer match.

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
15K in a separate 401K. My contributions there are maxed out and matched every year.

I guess it would be important to note, I am 28. I am not that far behind in where my retirement accounts should be.
View Quote

Jump over to Bogleheads if you want a real kick in the dick. It's like the GD of financial success and wealth planning.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 12:40:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Jump over to Bogleheads if you want a real kick in the dick. It's like the GD of financial success and wealth planning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might have to do this
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you have money in other areas like 401k or other taxable savings? If you are well off in those areas you can always use this as your tax free stock play ground.

:)

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Look at expenses. A full service broker might be eating gains up, especially in a bad year. See if your fund, after expenses, has outperformed the total market on a ten years average. If not, I see no reason to stay with them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Money in a 401k account that has performed easily into 8% over the last 5 years. It is currently sitting at 20k ish.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

www.investmentnews.com/article/20160822/FREE/160829991/edward-jones-faces-proposed-class-action-lawsuit-over-excessive-401
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Examples?

Eh, those are 401k accounts, not IRAs. As said above, filing suit means nothing. We have Edward Jones and have been pretty happy with our service. Yes, the buying/selling fees can be a little higher but EJ is not a "trading house". Their model is for the long term.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Eh, those are 401k accounts, not IRAs. As said above, filing suit means nothing. We have Edward Jones and have been pretty happy with our service. Yes, the buying/selling fees can be a little higher but EJ is not a "trading house". Their model is for the long term.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Examples?

lol....go back and read why they are getting sued. It's from their own employees because of limited choices on the platform because at jones you pay to play to get in the door. It's called revenue sharing, they were sued in the the early 2000s along with american funds because of not disclosing it. EJ settled, they disclose it now.

For the longest time they had div trips, in which if the broker wanted to go on one, they had to sell a certain amount of each category of investment. I.E. aggressive, growth, growth and income, income, tax free income.

I am not bad mouthing them, they served me well at one point in time, but they are the walmart/off the rack suit of investing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do you have anything (investments) anywhere else?

It doesn't really matter where it is unless you are trying to invest in something that isn't offered by the firm you're at and/or their management fees are excessive.
View Quote

he doesn't have enough for Advisory accounts even with their new lower mins. He probably has the $40 dollar annual fee and he had to have paid a commissions at some point.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Money in a 401k account that has performed easily into 8% over the last 5 years. It is currently sitting at 20k ish.
View Quote

What 401k are you in?  

I've got a 401k thru work that is sucking arse.   Nothing close to 8% anytime in recent memory.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What 401k are you in?  

I've got a 401k thru work that is sucking arse.   Nothing close to 8% anytime in recent memory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What 401k are you in?  

401k is just a type of account, you can buy a lot of different stocks, mutal funds, bonds, etc in that account or even leave it as cash. Most 401k accounts have tons of good options but a few of them are bad and have limited options. You should review what you hold in that account and see if it's keeping pace with the market.

Example, we were using an edward jones 401k. There are probably 500 billion different ways I could balance that account between a million different investment combinations.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I was in the business for close to 15 years.  (Not with EJ)
I would not worry too much about EJ unless you think you can do better on your own without the fees.  That means staying on top of it and doing research.  If you don't think you will do that then don't switch out of it unless you have an issue with EJ or the representative.  Do you meet with your EJ guy on any regular basis to evaluate?  The ones who blew off meetings and didn't bother to stay on top of their accounts were the ones who bitched the most when the market went through rough patches.....
If you can afford to add money to it, It will start to look better.  8% of a small number looks like shit when compared to a larger number.  I know you know that but it is still they way many people subconsciously view it.
Roth is a different bucket than the 401k when it comes to taxes.  If you can afford to have both you and contribute to them you will probably be happy with it when retirement time comes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What 401k are you in?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What 401k are you in?  

you need to talk to someone about getting your allocation right for you.

Even in the absolutely worse 401ks I have seen, there is at least somthing you can do.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would not worry too much about EJ unless you think you can do better on your own without the fees.  That means staying on top of it and doing research.  If you don't think you will do that then don't switch out of it unless you have an issue with EJ or the representative.  Do you meet with your EJ guy on any regular basis to evaluate?  The ones who blew off meetings and didn't bother to stay on top of their accounts were the ones who bitched the most when the market went through rough patches.....
If you can afford to add money to it, It will start to look better.  8% of a small number looks like shit when compared to a larger number.  I know you know that but it is still they way many people subconsciously view it.
Roth is a different bucket than the 401k when it comes to taxes.  If you can afford to have both you and contribute to them you will probably be happy with it when retirement time comes.
View Quote

lol....this is true.

They are the same people who complain when they have to pay a fee despite you saved their asses from a 40%+ draw down in the market.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

lol....this is true.

They are the same people who complain when they have to pay a fee despite you saved their asses from a 40%+ draw down in the market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol....this is true.

Yup.  That too.  None of my accounts ever went down more than 10% -15% even during the shit storm in 2008 but the ones who blew off my calls were the ones who got hit the hardest.  In the end, even their accounts came back and made money though.  As long as we don't have full economic collapse investing is the way to go.  Good to see OP doing something because a lot of people don't.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yup.  That too.  None of my accounts ever went down more than 10% -15% even during the shit storm in 2008 but the ones who blew off my calls were the ones who got hit the hardest.  In the end, even their accounts came back and made money though.  As long as we don't have full economic collapse investing is the way to go.  Good to see OP doing something because a lot of people don't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol....this is true.

You are right, I always laugh at when people give me the line, "well every body lost in 2008", I am like nope, just because your account sucked hard doesn't mean everyone else's accounts did the same. Then you try and show them how you do what you do and they don't believe it, like it's some kind of witch craft.

Yep I am glad to see the Op is taking the bull by the horns, because most people just bitch and complain and do nothing but get pissed and then go and pull their money out and put it in a CD and cry in the corner about how their CD isn't paying any interest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top