Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2016 4:01:59 PM EDT
Raiffeisenbank Gmund am Tegernsee is charging depositors with greater than 100,000 Euros will be charging 0.4% negative interest rates.  I just heard RBS and an Bank of Ireland are charging negative interest rates.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:22:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Why you ask would anyone buy these?

1. because you are betting rates will go lower and you'll see a capital gain on your negative interest rate bond.
2. Because financial institutions are required to invest a certain percentage of their deposits in sovereign debt.

My prediction..... This will all end badly once rates begin to rise and the magnitude of the loses hit the balance sheets.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why you ask would anyone buy these?

1. because you are betting rates will go lower and you'll see a capital gain on your negative interest rate bond.
2. Because financial institutions are required to invest a certain percentage of their deposits in sovereign debt.

My prediction..... This will all end badly once rates begin to rise and the magnitude of the loses hit the balance sheets.
View Quote

They are people who get paid big dollars to manage duration of the bond/asset portfolio. The whole having to mark to market is the problem.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
An interesting view point on negative interest from Deutsche Bank.

Link to CNBC Article
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#5]
If they have deflation in Germany, then the real rate of return is positive. Probably depends on which metric you use to measure it whether or not you think they are experiencing deflation.

I think the rate of return in the US is under the rate of inflation. The real return might be lower in the US than it is in Germany. If it is stupid to hold German bonds, it is even dumber to hold US bonds or have any money in savings by that logic.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would anyone buy a german bond when you can buy other countries' bonds that are still positive?

As for the deposits...  
View Quote

Because of the risk, and the ability to price the loss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top