Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2016 1:28:08 PM EDT

My wife is really interested in finding out how well her 401k is doing vs others. This quarter she is +10% and wants to know if she is doing good....  Over the past few years, she has never dipped under 5%.

I said yes, only because its better than me.

what do you guys think?

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine did 18.7% in 2013, but only 1% last year. 5yr. is 7.7%. I'm at 5.1% for this year so far.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]
When I looked last week it was 8% for the year.  For the quarter it would be even higher because the first quarter of the year it got as low as -6%.    Last year was -1.5%.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I was around 5% last year, and that was my first year, so yes, 10% is good to me haha.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#4]
That data is readily available on the line.

For my retirement i always figure 5.5% return and inflation at 3 point. My return is around 6.3 in reality, not great but im used to less passive investments. I only use my 401k as an emergency lose my job fund and bc the company does a 4% match.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#6]
My short term is 9.79YTD, not sure on the overall.  I wish my IRA was doing that well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:57:39 AM EDT
[#7]
It depends on the allocations of both your IRAs. How much risk are willing to take with your 401k? What type of return do you expect? What are your liquidity needs? What is your time horizon? These are questions you should ask yourself before you look at how your 401k is being invested. If you are under 40, are willing to take on risk, are investing for the next 20 years, have low liquidity needs, and your 401k is in more than 15% cash/bonds/fixed income, you need to consider reallocating or self directing. Typical 401k accounts are invested in target date funds, which can be a great option if you don't care do ever look at it. However, if you are willing to spend a little time to look at your account and do some research, you can find plenty of index funds and ladder the trailing returns to give heavier weightings towards the longer time frame, higher performing funds. This type of basic strategy will far outperform a target date fund. Even a 2055, which is as far as I am aware of any going out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top