Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2016 6:44:55 PM EDT
All,

Does anyone here 'churn', or sign up for credit card offers for the points and rewards? I'm currently looking into a free trip to an all inclusive place in mexico because of this. Anyone else do it? If so, what cards or strategies do you use?

Currently I'm using Chase Sapphire Preferred (please PM me if you plan on signing up soon as I get a bonus )

Chase Freedom - only utilize this card during the rotating 5% categories when I can get the max bonus.

Discover It - my first card I signed up for, just stopped using this one, but when they had the double cashback offer with the rotating 5%, at times I was getting 10% back on gas and groceries

Please share!.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I do.

Is the Southwest companion pass of any value to you?

You need 110k points in a calendar year to do it. Chase offers the Southwest Premier and Plus cards right now that offer 50k points each, and those count towards the 110k.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do.

Is the Southwest companion pass of any value to you?

You need 110k points in a calendar year to do it. Chase offers the Southwest Premier and Plus cards right now that offer 50k points each, and those count towards the 110k.
View Quote

Wow, I had never heard of that, I'll have to put it on my list of possible cards. Currently all my card turning is on hold as I am in the house market and can't be opening anything while searching/closing on my mortgage.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred, but I have a new job that doesn't travel, so I'm about to downgrade.

I have the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred for personal.  I love it.  6% back on the first $6k at grocery stores, and unlimited (I think 3%) on gas and department stores.

The bad thing about the AmEx is that Wal-Mart Supercenters aren't "grocery stores", you have to go to a "stand-alone" grocery store, ie somewhere you can't buy TVs or auto parts or things like that.  The good thing is that liquor stores usually are considered groceries.

To answer your question, no, I don't chase offers.  A guy I used to work with was up to 11 cards when I left because he was chasing sign up deals.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#4]
NRA credit card
Cash in the points for Brownells gift cards
use gift cards to buy more gun parts n stuff then .... PROFIT !!!

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred, but I have a new job that doesn't travel, so I'm about to downgrade.

I have the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred for personal.  I love it.  6% back on the first $6k at grocery stores, and unlimited (I think 3%) on gas and department stores.

The bad thing about the AmEx is that Wal-Mart Supercenters aren't "grocery stores", you have to go to a "stand-alone" grocery store, ie somewhere you can't buy TVs or auto parts or things like that.  The good thing is that liquor stores usually are considered groceries.

To answer your question, no, I don't chase offers.  A guy I used to work with was up to 11 cards when I left because he was chasing sign up deals.
View Quote

I'd be curious to hear how much free stuff/vacations that guy took...
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto.  The 6% back at grocery stores is also a sweet deal when you purchase gift cards.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not nearly enough.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not nearly enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not nearly enough.

What makes you say that?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Discover It - my first card I signed up for, just stopped using this one, but when they had the double cashback offer with the rotating 5%, at times I was getting 10% back on gas and groceries
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Was that available to all It cards? My wife has an It card and never got informed of that...

Quoted:

Does Blue Cash preferred have any sort of annual fees? I have an old-school, grandfathered Blue Cash card (std, no fees) that is 5% on gas, grocery, & pharmacy but only 1% on everything else and that is AFTER you've spent $6,000 each year (no problem for us, I pay everything with the Amex). My wife's newer Amex Blue Cash is only 3% on gas, grocery, & pharmacy and they no longer offer 5% on any of the standard BLue Cash cards AFAIK

FWIW, we do take advantage of the occasional offer but we don't "chase" offers.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Was that available to all It cards? My wife has an It card and never got informed of that...

View Quote
You had to chat and ask for it, she may still be able to. It's standard for the new cardholders, and atleast last year they would give it to existing cardholders when requested.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Does Blue Cash preferred have any sort of annual fees? I have an old-school, grandfathered Blue Cash card (std, no fees) that is 5% on gas, grocery, & pharmacy but only 1% on everything else and that is AFTER you've spent $6,000 each year (no problem for us, I pay everything with the Amex). My wife's newer Amex Blue Cash is only 3% on gas, grocery, & pharmacy and they no longer offer 5% on any of the standard BLue Cash cards AFAIK

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is an annual fee.  I don't remember how much.  I always transfer my cash back to cover the fees at the end of the year, and have a good chunk of money left over.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What makes you say that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not nearly enough.

What makes you say that?

Opening and closing 11 credit cards isn't good.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There is an annual fee.  I don't remember how much.  I always transfer my cash back to cover the fees at the end of the year, and have a good chunk of money left over.
View Quote

It's $75 per year to get the higher-tier cash back percentages.  I usually hit that in three months.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not nearly enough.

What makes you say that?

Is it good? Depends on your outlook. If an individual owns their house, and pays cash for vehicles they have no need for any credit score. There a plenty of people who open and close cards who have 720+ scores. Personally I don't mind having a 720-780 score as I can get lots of free stuff out of it when leveraged right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top