Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2016 3:06:01 PM EDT
So as the subject says, I want to dispute my property taxes. They went up by almost 10% again and I believe that they are now going over what my house is realistically worth. I have a scheduled hearing next month but wanted to see if anyone has some tips for me. I'm going to come with pictures of the imperfections in the house but so far, and other comps for the are but that's all I got so far.

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks,

V
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, I prevailed every time for 10 years.     They still raised them, but not nearly as much.

I just printed comps in my area.    And I wrote them a nice letter saying if they thought it was worth that amount, they could make me an offer and I'll be out in a week!
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, this is the first time I'm disputing. I still expect them to go up but not by 10%. 5 maybe. I might start doing it every year if this goes well.

V
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Find a realtor and ask them to print solds of like kind quality property(sq ft, # bed and bath, construction, land size) in your County(closer the better).
If you are familiar with homes nearby and they are like yours, call the assessor's office and get specific dimensions. Then call the Treasurer and get their annual taxes to compare.
Be ready that the County only has to be within 10%(high or low) of your value to win the hearing.
Best of Luck.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
We did but just for the fact that they had our house listed for a lot more square feet then it is.  Our family room, foyer, and another room Are 2.5 stories high and open and they calculated it as being two floors.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Move now! In NJ I paid 675.00  a month for a house with 1.3 ac. IN WV 35 ac. and house $850.00 when I reach 62 my tax is reduced and frozen. If you can get out now
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Move now! In NJ I paid 675.00  a month for a house with 1.3 ac. IN WV 35 ac. and house $850.00 when I reach 62 my tax is reduced and frozen. If you can get out now
View Quote

Meh, i dont really want to move. Killer house, no income-tax,  kid can walk to school through 11th grade, 5 minutes from work, friends and parents are close...

I am looking for some land outside the city for future retirement but that's a ways down the road...

V
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Meh, i dont really want to move. Killer house, no income-tax,  kid can walk to school through 11th grade, 5 minutes from work, friends and parents are close...

I am looking for some land outside the city for future retirement but that's a ways down the road...

V
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V

Lol that was kind of a knee jerk reaction. You didnt even say how much the taxes were and he is saying to move because of it. I didnt mind texas, its definitely cheap to live.

Just wait till that guy realizes that what he paid in taxes every month, a lot of people pay per year.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:24:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Lol that was kind of a knee jerk reaction. You didnt even say how much the taxes were and he is saying to move because of it. I didnt mind texas, its definitely cheap to live.

Just wait till that guy realizes that what he paid in taxes every month, a lot of people pay per year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

V

Oh my... I missed where that was per month. Grated I'm not that far off but still...

V
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes you can. I took pictures from when I bought my home and for the current year. (took me a couple hours to put it all together with side by side comparisons) got onto realtor. Com and printed out houses close to mine and went to the assessors office. By having things put together instead of 10% I ended up with a 3% increase. I use the same formatting every year and have been successful at keeping the county from maxing me out every year.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:10:59 AM EDT
[#10]
If you do not dispute them they will just keep going up, period.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top