Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2016 9:58:42 AM EDT
Is it going up because of fed interest rate decisions?

I bought NUGT last year May and watched the rollercoaster way down and now back up.  I sold off yesterday cause it was too risky. Only managed to make $400 on $50K (kicking myself somewhat becuase i could have made $4000 if i sold at end of day instead of morning, but hindsight is the past year sucked watching it down 80% so i'd rather exit if i can get my money back)
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I bought NUGT last year May and watched the rollercoaster way down and now back up.  I sold off yesterday cause it was too risky. Only managed to make $400 on $50K (kicking myself somewhat becuase i could have made $4000 if i sold at end of day instead of morning, but hindsight is the past year sucked watching it down 80% so i'd rather exit if i can get my money back)
View Quote
It's going up because the stock market was going down. Gold is counter-cyclical.

$400 on $50K= .008% return. You would've had better luck with a CD.

Find a good and honest RIA or start reading up on investing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a lot to put in a 3x leveraged fund unless you are rich and 50k is just your fun money
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#3]
SGE opened up in competition with the LBMA & Comex.  Free market price discovery is kicking in.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's going up because the stock market was going down. Gold is counter-cyclical.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually it's a .8% return
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Presented for discussion.  

http://www.seekingalpha.com/article/3969926

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's a lot to put in a 3x leveraged fund unless you are rich and 50k is just your fun money
View Quote

it was part of my IRA account and i only have ~100K in it, which I sometimes play fast and loose with.

These 3x ETFs are not meant to be held for months, but it started dropping like a rock way fast and i said fuggit, i'm already down 80%, i'll just wait it out.

Also Direxxion closed down a few of their ETF's which got me nervous.  Next time I will play with only 10K.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

"During a period of inflation everything will go up; from timber, to oil, to groceries to gold.

In every major gold rally, you will see oil, copper and the other commodities rallying with it."

This is exactly why people view gold as an alternative to the dollar.  Alternative assets of all kinds do well when the dollar loses value.

For the past year or so, I have been focused on converting liquid cash dollars into assets I believe to be harder, or more fixed.

The rigidity of the assets I've chosen are completely based on my own faith, however, just like gold.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:41:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

"During a period of inflation everything will go up; from timber, to oil, to groceries to gold.

In every major gold rally, you will see oil, copper and the other commodities rallying with it."

This is exactly why people view gold as an alternative to the dollar.  Alternative assets of all kinds do well when the dollar loses value.

For the past year or so, I have been focused on converting liquid cash dollars into assets I believe to be harder, or more fixed.

The rigidity of the assets I've chosen are completely based on my own faith, however, just like gold.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, but you're assuming that the inflation is coincident with a bad economy and that your money wouldn't be better invested elsewhere.   He's saying he opposite- that inflation often accompanies economic expansion and a good economy, when there are plenty of good investments like all the other commodities.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:50:49 AM EDT
[#9]
When people lose faith in paper money, govt, humanity etc gold will climb.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top