Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2016 7:42:06 AM EDT
I remember when Obama was elected and everyone at work was complaining about losing big amounts of their 401K.
I have been planning on steadily increasing mine, but I sure don't want it to take a dump.
Maybe it would be best to wait until after the elections?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Your thinking is backwards. Buy low, sell high.  Of the market is down, you buy. If it's at a peak, you wait. Or as most would recommend, just buy a little all the time for the dollar cost averaging.

V
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your thinking is backwards. Buy low, sell high.  Of the market is down, you buy. If it's at a peak, you wait. Or as most would recommend, just buy a little all the time for the dollar cost averaging.

V
View Quote

This.  And at a minimum put in what your company matches.

IIRC you're young.  By the time you retire the market's ups and downs of today won't even be a blip on the radar.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless you have a crystal ball, there is no value in market timing.

The only thing worth looking at as an average low information investor is earnings and what you have to pay for them.  Once you break it down like that it becomes a pretty simple decision of whether the earnings are worth the price or not.

Earnings yields right now are 4%-5% on average based on P/Es of 20-25.  Do you have a better alternative for that money at the moment?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Always contribute enough to make the company match. Otherwise you are turning down a 100% return right off the bat.

Spread the funds around into different funds not just in one target retirement fund. I look at mine about every 6 months and see what funds are performing the best that year. I don't really sell any of my funds, I just move the percentages around to the ones that are doing better than the others. Even then I'm spread out into 5-6 different funds at any given time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:17:25 AM EDT
[#6]
My contribution goes in with my paycheck.... every 2 weeks.  Sometimes I'm buying high, sometimes low, but over time the highs/lows kinda even themselves out.  Yes, 2008 hurt, alot, but I was also buying every 2 weeks during that period.

The important thing is that the contributions keep going in, and over time that 'egg' keeps growing...
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Just up the amount as much as you can handle, leave it there, and forget it.  Make sure it's in something that matches the market and has a low fee associated with it.

Slow and steady through all of it will do better than most who micromanage it and worry about ups and downs.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The only thing worth looking at as an average low information investor is earnings and what you have to pay for them.  Once you break it down like that it becomes a pretty simple decision of whether the earnings are worth the price or not.

Earnings yields right now are 4%-5% on average based on P/Es of 20-25.  Do you have a better alternative for that money at the moment?
View Quote

Why don't some stocks list their P/E?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What stocks are you looking at where P/E ratios aren't available?  

It's just "Share Price" divided by "Earnings Per Share".  99.9% of the time a site like Google Finance will do the work for you and list that ratio in the summary under the company's ticker symbol.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's just "Share Price" divided by "Earnings Per Share".  99.9% of the time a site like Google Finance will do the work for you and list that ratio in the summary under the company's ticker symbol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny you should mention google finance.  That's what I was using when I saw P/E wasn't listed on some stocks.

Ill see if I can find one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#11]
The best time to invest is now. You only loose money if you sell for less than you bought it for.  When stock prices tank, buy more because they're on sale.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because the company had no earnings or lost money that particular quarter.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#14]
If you're investing based on earnings, beware of value traps:

What is a 'Value Trap'

A value trap is a stock that appears to be cheap because the stock has been trading at low multiples of earnings, cash flow or book value for an extended time period. Stock traps attract investors who are looking for a bargain because these stocks are inexpensive. The trap springs when investors buy into the company at low prices and the stock never improves. Trading that occurs at low multiples of earnings, cash flow or book value for long periods of time might indicate that the company or the entire sector is in trouble, and that stock prices may not move higher.

Read more: Value Trap Definition | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/terms/v/valuetrap.asp#ixzz46zVre6GO

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you're investing based on earnings, beware of value traps:

What is a 'Value Trap'

A value trap is a stock that appears to be cheap because the stock has been trading at low multiples of earnings, cash flow or book value for an extended time period. Stock traps attract investors who are looking for a bargain because these stocks are inexpensive. The trap springs when investors buy into the company at low prices and the stock never improves. Trading that occurs at low multiples of earnings, cash flow or book value for long periods of time might indicate that the company or the entire sector is in trouble, and that stock prices may not move higher.

Read more: Value Trap Definition | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/terms/v/valuetrap.asp#ixzz46zVre6GO

https://youtu.be/tLOB6ddZlSU
View Quote

This is a very good point.  I should clarify that when I'm talking about earnings in the context of this thread I'm talking about the big picture of what kind of value you are getting for your dollar in the broader market today.

When looking at individual stocks, you absolutely need to be able to interpret earnings data in context.  This is not easy to do without significant additional knowledge and research which is more the reason that average investors should be in funds of some type rather than individual stocks.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#16]
There are times you can time the market. For example XOM and other major oil companies were trading for multi year lows recently and people were predicting the end of oil. That was like a big neon sign screaming buy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I have lowered my contributions.  Future Economy is very questionable thanks to democrats.  I am placing that extra money into hard assets.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There are times you can time the market. For example XOM and other major oil companies were trading for multi year lows recently and people were predicting the end of oil. That was like a big neon sign screaming buy.
View Quote

Yep, but I got in way too early. I didn't see oil being down this long.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:29:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Your thinking is backwards. Buy low, sell high.  Of the market is down, you buy. If it's at a peak, you wait.
V
View Quote

This. Think of it as an "election year discount".
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your thinking is backwards. Buy low, sell high.  Of the market is down, you buy. If it's at a peak, you wait.
V

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not true. Basic technical analysis gives you good ideas of entry and exit points. No one is perfect, but you can determine trends and general movements.

To answer question OP, the losses people had in 2008 weren't a result of the election year, but the general financial meltdown. And as for current year, the market is pretty strong right now. There are people predicting a recession/contraction period soon, so look up appropriate literature on that if you want. However, continual buying will give you a lower average cost, so that's a totally viable strat. And like woodsie said... 4% RoI is good stuff, way better than any interest rate you'll get from cash.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#22]
We're in the midst of a paradigm change and a financial education is highly recommended and it's not the sh*t taught in universities.  Might I suggest you read Nomi Prins' It Takes a Pillage or Karl Denninger's Leverage or Peter Schiff's The Real Crash?  I expect to see bail-ins within a year and replacement of 401ks with US Treasuries.    
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

We're in the midst of a paradigm change and a financial education is highly recommended and it's not the sh*t taught in universities.  Might I suggest you read Nomi Prins' It Takes a Pillage or Karl Denninger's Leverage or Peter Schiff's The Real Crash?  I expect to see bail-ins within a year and replacement of 401ks with US Treasuries.    

View Quote

I could see that happening in a country that has debt not in their own currency. I think Ireland confiscated retirement accounts because they owed debts in Euros they couldn't pay, but why would the US Government even bother when it can print money to pay debts? I know that causes it's own problems like inflation, but I just don't see them confiscating 401ks for funds. They'll do something like a QE before that.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Always contribute enough to make the company match. Otherwise you are turning down a 100% return right off the bat.

Spread the funds around into different funds not just in one target retirement fund. I look at mine about every 6 months and see what funds are performing the best that year. I don't really sell any of my funds, I just move the percentages around to the ones that are doing better than the others. Even then I'm spread out into 5-6 different funds at any given time.
View Quote

FWIW, by doing that, you are in effect, buying high and selling low.

Set a target allocation and re-balance based on that ever y ear or so.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

i think you are almost up to a decade of predicting this.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks like I need to speak to my HR person tomorrow
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top