Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 6:54:50 AM EDT
I have a situation where I can assume a lease on a car.  However, the car is 6 months old so it's not new.  If I transfer this lease to me and use this car for my business (currently my use is about 75% business, 25% personal) can I just use the actual expense method on this vehicle the same as if I went to the dealer and entered into a new 36 month lease on a brand new vehicle?  Are there any special circumstances since the car is not new?

TIA
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a situation where I can assume a lease on a car.  However, the car is 6 months old so it's not new.  If I transfer this lease to me and use this car for my business (currently my use is about 75% business, 25% personal) can I just use the actual expense method on this vehicle the same as if I went to the dealer and entered into a new 36 month lease on a brand new vehicle?  Are there any special circumstances since the car is not new?

TIA
View Quote

Not a CPA, but the answer is yes.  No special considerations as a result of the car not being new.

Make sure you understand how the "leased auto inclusion" works.  It's basically phantom income that keeps you from getting around the depreciation limitation on automobiles by leasing instead of purchasing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not a CPA, but the answer is yes.  No special considerations as a result of the car not being new.

Make sure you understand how the "leased auto inclusion" works.  It's basically phantom income that keeps you from getting around the depreciation limitation on automobiles by leasing instead of purchasing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TIA

Yep fully aware of that.  But I do have a question about that.  With a brand new car lease, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd year of the inclusion amounts table is self-explanatory.  In my example since the car wouldn't be new, will I still use the 1st column of the 2016 Inclusion Table since 2016 would be the first tax year *I* leased the vehicle?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yep fully aware of that.  But I do have a question about that.  With a brand new car lease, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd year of the inclusion amounts table is self-explanatory.  In my example since the car wouldn't be new, will I still use the 1st column of the 2016 Inclusion Table since 2016 would be the first tax year *I* leased the vehicle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TIA

Yes.  The tables are based on the first year the vehicle is leased by you, not when it was a new vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes.  The tables are based on the first year the vehicle is leased by you, not when it was a new vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TIA

Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top