Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2016 10:08:30 AM EDT
i jus got word that my old company is maybe gonna do lump sum pay outs. i was there for 20 years before "retiring", what can i expect ? they said that everyone will get what they earned, i figured they do low ball for lump sum, but have to wait and see.

one question, with lump sum, i wonder if ill have option to put it in an IRA so im not dinged on taxes.

anyone have experience with pension buy outs ?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You can expect an actuarial equivalent to what the payout would have been.  That number is not what it would otherwise payout, they don't have all of that money, they depend on investment gains to pay that much.
A good way to evaluate the offer is to look at how much income you could generate from a SPIA (single payment instant annuity) if you took all of the offered money and bought an annuity.
You will have the ability to roll this to an IRA, and you should take that option - taxes would kill you otherwise.

I have seen plenty threads on bogleheads.org discussing various companies having pension buyouts, after the collective hive there evaluates the offers they usually come out pretty reasonable.  You may want to look around their forums to get an idea of what to expect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top