Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2015 5:52:39 PM EDT
I have a hobby that is growing into a business.  I am an IT Guy by day working for the man and a Welder at night working for me.  I personally owned the work area, tools, truck/trailer, etc before this got crazy.  I produce a niche item that is in demand seasonally, has no moving parts, but could injure someone if they were careless.  It is just me working alone and I do not intend for this to scale up into a full time gig, but it has become a nice supplemental income.  Net is maybe 20% of my day job, so it's evolved past just beer money.  I am now at the point that I need to invest in some higher end tools to keep production levels up with increased demand.  Nothing big ticket like a truck, but around $5K for new welding equipment, work area improvement, etc.

So do I need an LLC?  More than one?  What does that cost?  Can I just set this up with Legal Zoom?  Or do I need a Lawyer and an Accountant?  I'd read something about CorpA owns the equipment and rents it to CorpB that produces/sells the product.  Then if CorpB is sued for whatever reason the assets are protected.  

I'm middle-aged, happily married, and have a couple of kids.  The extra cash is useful, but once the IRS/Lawyer/Bureuacracy is involved I'm not sure how profitable it will be?  If it isn't profitable I'd rather just quit doing it.  On the other hand if going legit is reasonable $$ wise it would be nice to have the structure in place should I scale this into a full time gig.  It is always nice to have some fallback employment in this economy.  Maybe even a semi retirement type job to keep me busy.

Any tips from the ArfCom Oracle?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Dollar wise - you aren't even remotely close. Needs to be full time.

Liability wise - I'd go ahead and form some sort of corp and carry insurance from what you describe.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I will have to disagree.  The IRS already considers your activities a business, and so should you.

It is definitely worth exploring an LLC.  I don't feel myself qualified to give you any more advice, however.

Good luck in your business/hobby.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will have to disagree.  The IRS already considers your activities a business, and so should you.

It is definitely worth exploring an LLC.  I don't feel myself qualified to give you any more advice, however.

View Quote

Look at Nolo Press online. They have all kinds of threads and stuff about business law. They can tell you what you need to know about a LLC.

In a nutshell it means "Limited Liability Company." (NOT corporation BTW.) It gives you similar protection against liability that a corporation does, without the complex financial stuff.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

If there isnt a lot of liability involved a person can easily work as a sole proprietor rather than forming a business entity. Just because you report income doesnt mean you need to form a business in every case.

Ive seen that mistake a lot. Guys have 3 or 7 "companies" that dont even amount to a full time wage. Lot of hassle for nothing. In op's case if isnt a bad idea though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Double tap
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#6]
   Just because you report income doesnt mean you need to form a business in every case.

View Quote

Here we have an example of the definition of words drifting over time.

I would consider a sole proprietorship to be a business.

When I was young, that was an accepted definition.

Apparently, now the meaning has changed.

My advice to treat it as a business still stands, no matter what the current definition of business is.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My advice to treat it as a business still stands, no matter what the current definition of business is.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
   Just because you report income doesnt mean you need to form a business in every case.

Fair enough. When I worked as a sole proprietor with no employees it was all on my personal returns (itemized) so I don't really consider it a business although that's just semantics. For me, a "business" is it's own entity and files a return. Just semantics though, really.

The important thing is reporting your income properly and ask a pro how you should protect yourself with an llc or whatever is needed.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#8]
It sounds like you have a business, although it's not officially registered, but it is a business.
Are you selling to end consumers or to another business that will retail the product?  If you are selling to a consumer you need to register with your state and local municipality to collect and remit sales tax (if your state has a sales tax).
Regardless of how income is generated, legally you must report it to the IRS (and state if you have a state income tax).  You will need to pay both your share and employer's share of FICA/Medicare/Social Security taxes along with income taxes.
If you are selling to another business and receiving more than $600 annually you should be receiving a Form 1099 at year end from that business.

To go legitimate will take a decent amount of effort.  Is the product a design that you created?  Is it something that can be patented?  If so have you considered that?  At that point you could license the patent out to a local professional shop to produce and you get a cut off of all units sold with none of the bureaucracy, i.e. Mailbox Money.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Years back I did some IT Consulting on the side and ran that income through a Schedule C on my 1040.  I didn't sell any hard goods, just billed for labor.  My bigger clients issued 1099 at year end.

I do not intend for this to be a general welding services shop.  I won't be fixing your trailer, truck bumper, or farm implement.  More like Yard Art, Custom Signs, Fire Pits (the liability), maybe a BBQ Smoker.  Nothing unique enough to be patented, although I have had some copy cats of my designs.

My thoughts are if I'm going to continue doing this I need to upgrade some equipment, decent website, etc.  That means some sizable deductions to offset taxes if I were to go legit.  So maybe now is the time to make it official?  I've explored the cost of product liability insurance a bit.  I just have no idea of what an LLC Cost, Biz licenses, Quarterly Taxes, etc.  Do I now need commercial insurance on my truck since I use it for deliveries?  If I'm running the biz from a portion of my PoleBarn do I need to insure it differently?

Do I just approach another small business owner, buy them dinner, and pick their brain about what all is needed to get setup?  
Would a local Accountant/Lawyer have these answers?
Is there some FRIENDLY .gov office that would assist with the Bureaucracy?

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#10]
A good accountant can help with all of the that except the liability. Insurance company and possibly a lawyer might need to advise you on that. You can set up a basic business easily if you figure out which kind. The forms can be filled out on the web for state and federal last time I did it. Takes about 35 minutes for each.

Someone with more knowledge can probably chime in with more detail.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
More like Yard Art, Custom Signs, Fire Pits (the liability), maybe a BBQ Smoker. (Also a liability.)

Nothing unique enough to be patented, although I have had some copy cats of my designs. (May want a trademark or copyright on your business and product names and you should research to ensure you're not infringing on someone else's trademarks or copyrights.)

My thoughts are if I'm going to continue doing this I need to upgrade some equipment, decent website, etc.  That means some sizable deductions to offset taxes if I were to go legit.  So maybe now is the time to make it official? (If you're making money, it's already "official" to the IRS and should be reported as income. Selling products to consumers also means you need to collect sales tax most likley.)

I've explored the cost of product liability insurance a bit.  I just have no idea of what an LLC Cost, Biz licenses, Quarterly Taxes, etc. (Usually, filing for LLC, local and/or state business license, and state tax ID are pretty cheap.)

Do I now need commercial insurance on my truck since I use it for deliveries? (More than likely. I would read your insurance policy where you'll likely find it's excluded when used for business. Then I'd talk to your agent about commercial insurance.)

If I'm running the biz from a portion of my PoleBarn do I need to insure it differently? (That's also a very real possibility. Zoning ordinances may affect this as well, but I'm from a big suburan city and am not familiar with country stuffs.)

Do I just approach another small business owner, buy them dinner, and pick their brain about what all is needed to get setup? (That's a good idea. There's also the Missouri Small Business and Technology Centers and the U.S. Small Business Association with lots of offices in MO.)

Would a local Accountant/Lawyer have these answers? Possibly. You may want to at least discuss your tax situation with an accountant.

Is there some FRIENDLY .gov office that would assist with the Bureaucracy? See above.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Fair enough. When I worked as a sole proprietor with no employees it was all on my personal returns (itemized) so I don't really consider it a business although that's just semantics. For me, a "business" is it's own entity and files a return. Just semantics though, really.

The important thing is reporting your income properly and ask a pro how you should protect yourself with an llc or whatever is needed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you operated a sole proprietorship and took itemized deductions for your business expenses, you were doing it wrong.  All activity for that business should have been reported on Schedule C, not Schedule A.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 2:18:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I came to post this exact question.

I have had an idea rolling around in my head to build a couple different things that I use and others may find useful.  However, as the OP stated, they could cause injury if misused.

So the risk of someone getting hurt is more of a reason to start an official business than legal reasons I am taking it?

Of course no one wants to provoke the IRS, but insuring my shop, car, etc. and all this other stuff for $1000/year income???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top