Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2015 11:14:24 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experiance with REIT's ?    I bought a small amount of ANH the otherday just to see how it works.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 12:39:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Like most things in life, there are several (5 basic actually, with sub-variants) kinds of REITs.

ANH is a mortgage (m) REIT (like FANNIE MAE and FREDDIE MAC):  they buy mortgages.  Similar to bonds, mREIT prices move inversely to interest rates so you might want to keep an eye on ANH toward the end of the year (and 2016).
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I had thousands of dollars in Redwood Trust (RWT) years ago.  Big dividend yield-er.  Dividends paid for part of my house and my wife's car.  No longer hold any.  Was a good deal at the time.

RAy
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Like killer B said, there are many types, then you can go into public vs private.

Some consider them an alternative asset class.

You also need to see what they hold inside the REIT.

Some are really specific and others are very broad.

Some REIT's also have different types of tax treatment.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I hold REITs inside my Roth IRA to eliminate taxes on dividends that are taxed at the ordinary income bracket. I have a small allocation of my portfolio in VNQ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top