Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2015 9:24:20 PM EDT
I have a 401k through work. Payroll department diverts 6% of my gross pay as an employee contribution to my 401k, plus the employer chips in a 3% matching contribution toward my plan.
I have some overtime available in the near future, a significant amount of extra hours available paid out at time and a half.
My question is, if I ask my payroll department to pay all of the overtime toward my 401k, will that extra amount be subjected to reduction by Medicare and social security?
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
All the pay you direct to your 401k should follow the same rules unless you exceed the limit 30% I think it is
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
will that extra amount be subjected to reduction by Medicare and social security?
View Quote

No.  The amount going in to a retirement plan does not skip Medicare or Social Security taxes (FICA).  It does avoid Federal and State Income tax.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No.  The amount going in to a retirement plan does not skip Medicare or Social Security taxes (FICA).  It does avoid Federal and State Income tax.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
will that extra amount be subjected to reduction by Medicare and social security?

This is correct. 401k is a pre-tax deduction for Federal and State only. FICA taxes (Med and SS) will still be deducted off of gross earnings.

OP - your wording is a little confusing. Are you talking about requesting that your employer move your overtime earnings into a 401k or just increasing your percentage while you are earning extra in overtime pay? Make sure you check your plan documentation and company rules. Some companies don't defer based on overtime compensation and I don't think that you can typically just tell them to put a certain amount or a certain payroll check into your 401k. You would have to adjust your contribution %.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
All the pay you direct to your 401k should follow the same rules unless you exceed the limit 30% I think it is
View Quote

Are you saying there is a limit to the amount you can put in your 401K per paycheck?
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Are you saying there is a limit to the amount you can put in your 401K per paycheck?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a 30% yearly limit of your income I believe, unless you are of a certain age and have saved under a certain amount then there is a "catch up" clause where you can put more in.  But I think 30% is the limit for a year.

EDIT: Nevermind I just looked it up, it's just $18,000 in a year maximum period.  Not sure where I remembered that 30% number from.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#6]
You all have been very helpful. Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top