Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2015 8:57:44 PM EDT
Assuming an aggressive or very aggressive strategy for a Roth IRA account using mutual funds, indices, and ETFs.

1) How many funds would you consider to be too many?
2) What percentage in growth funds vs. blended and value funds?
3) What percentage in domestic funds vs. international?

Would appreciate it if you could critique the following (equal minimum investment amounts):

2 large cap growth (aim to mirror S&P500, NASDAQ100, or US growth)
1 mid-cap growth
1 small cap growth
1 sector (healthcare or technology)
1 international blended

There's probably some overlap between sector and the large caps, but I would be OK with that.  Also probably heavy in domestic.  Bonds are not there because I know very little about them.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
No one?

I read the 10K portfolio sticky, but obviously, that assumes a 10K budget.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the Bogleheads forums on the three fund portfolio.
Keeps it real simple.

Vanguard three fund portfolio
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Why do you need two large cap funds? Just go with the S&P 500.

I realize you said aggressive, but you ought to consider a little bit in bonds.

How about a little (5%) in REITs? They're generally considered aggressive, but they don't necessarily move with the stock market.

How about a little in emerging markets?

I split my small-cap allocation into small-cap growth and value.

The health care sector is usually a great choice. People still get sick in recessions.

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out the Bogleheads forums on the three fund portfolio.
Keeps it real simple.

Vanguard three fund portfolio
View Quote

THIS
If you don't have much to start with you can start out with a Target Date Retirement with a suitable allocation for you (they use the 3 core funds), once that grows to where you can split it you will have the option to tilt your allocation as you see fit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay, I’ll take a shot at this.

Too many funds?  To me, it’s not a question of how many, it’s a question of how much I want to invest in an individual fund.  For me, that’s around $10-12,000, currently in 40+ funds.  
Virtually all my funds are growth or aggressive growth funds.  Not everyone has the patience to hold funds like that through bear markets, wild swings, etc.  It can be scary, but I’ve found that it’s worth it, because the market always comes back, higher than before.  
I have zero interest in bonds.  No significant growth potential.  You can have ‘em.
I’m closing in on 70 years of age, but my strategy hasn’t changed much.  I have dumped money into some less volatile investments to keep my wife happy, but we don’t need any more retirement income, so I’m sticking with growth for the most part.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2015 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Okay, I’ll take a shot at this.

Too many funds?  To me, it’s not a question of how many, it’s a question of how much I want to invest in an individual fund.  For me, that’s around $10-12,000, currently in 40+ funds.  
Virtually all my funds are growth or aggressive growth funds.  Not everyone has the patience to hold funds like that through bear markets, wild swings, etc.  It can be scary, but I’ve found that it’s worth it, because the market always comes back, higher than before.  
I have zero interest in bonds.  No significant growth potential.  You can have ‘em.
I’m closing in on 70 years of age, but my strategy hasn’t changed much.  I have dumped money into some less volatile investments to keep my wife happy, but we don’t need any more retirement income, so I’m sticking with growth for the most part.  

View Quote

This is what I do. I do exactly 10k in each fund. I'm young so I only have 4 funds right now and the rest in cash/loaned to me for other investments. I have a mixture of growth and income funds.

Odd numbers bother me so I made sure that they knew I meant 10k exactly, not $10234 or $9998. I'm 27 and that would drive me freaking insane until retirement age.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#7]
do you have access to morningstar to do an x-ray of the portfolio?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you, gents.

Quoted:
View Quote

Negative.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 3:25:49 AM EDT
[#9]
What Nick V said, or a target date fund. best wishes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#10]
For me it's contributions of 50% S&P 500, 25% International, and 25% Bond index. I have about 35-40% of the total in a fixed return can't lose fund. If the market were to really sell off I'd use that to buy. That's in my 401k. My IRA is all individual stocks about 20 total.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I've always liked what Scott Burns has had to say (his articles are picked up by my local paper), and he backs up his arguments with real numbers.
He's got a plan whereby you can own 2 to 10 funds depending on your investing philosophy and timeline.
https://assetbuilder.com/knowledge-center/articles/couch-potato-cookbook
You can also substitute ETFs for some of the mutual funds. The expenses are about as low as you can get.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 5:59:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Not sure how ideal it is, but my allocation is something like:

Post tax account

70% Wellington (not aggressive 80/20ish stock/bonds)

30% International index

60% Small cap index

40% Total market index

ETA:

Had to check my numbers.

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thank you, gents.

Negative.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thank you, gents.

Quoted:

Negative.

damn, if you were on the gulf coast. i'd walk you through it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top