Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2015 2:33:33 PM EDT
Now that the crash seems to be subsiding is it time to buy? Or are we still headed down deeper?

What sayeth the hive?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Now that the crash seems to be subsiding is it time to buy? Or are we still headed down deeper?

What sayeth the hive?
View Quote

Most of my stuff (not very much) is mutual type funds.  For the most part I left everything alone.  It is a risky gamble right now, and I prefer not to gamble.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/682454_dow_futures_down_477__if_this_is_it____.html

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The last 4 years the market has been up and up some more. Now that its turned volatile I pulled SOME of my money to the sidelines until the turmoil is over. Who knows where it will go from here. New contributions are going straight back into the market though as they MAY be cheap right now. I'll move the bulk back over once things stabilize and trends look bullish again.

The days gains were completely lost and then some in the last hour of trading.

YMMV but (to quote the investment advisor I follow) I'd rather be out of the market wishing I was in, then in the market wishing I was out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
YMMV but (to quote the investment advisor I follow) I'd rather be out of the market wishing I was in, then in the market wishing I was out.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#4]
If it does truly crash or the economy goes to crap, money isn't going to be used to buy things. We'll be on the barter system. Liquor, TP and time with your wife will be currency.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Ausstiegen!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If it does truly crash or the economy goes to crap, money isn't going to be used to buy things. We'll be on the barter system. Liquor, TP and time with your wife will be currency.
View Quote
Well this escalated quickly, prostituting my wife eh?

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:31:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What sayeth the hive?
View Quote

If the stock market ever goes to zero, or close enough then there is no point in having money or any assets as they would be worthless. Strong buy.

From what I have been seeing with the charts I am noticing a strong buy in at the beginning of each market day, with a massive sell off between 1-3PM. If I had enough money I would consider checking this out, verifying with a couple of stocks you wouldn't hate to own if it didn't workout and consider selling after an hr or two of holding.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I set a stop order for a price that probably is too low but if I get it fine if not its no big deal.
I think it depends on your timeframe. Mine is 30 years so I bought in the dip before the dip
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The last 4 years the market has been up and up some more. Now that its turned volatile I pulled SOME of my money to the sidelines until the turmoil is over. Who knows where it will go from here. New contributions are going straight back into the market though as they MAY be cheap right now. I'll move the bulk back over once things stabilize and trends look bullish again.

The days gains were completely lost and then some in the last hour of trading.

View Quote

Your advisor obviously doesn't know what puts are.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#11]
There's some good deals out there now. I picked up wal mart for under $65 at a %3 yield. Added PG and JNJ also. Oil and mining stocks are crushed and a good deal in my opinion. I don't see either oil or iron ore going away anytime soon. I look for companies that are down but the business is still solid and companies that don't carry a lot of debt.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#12]
The time to buy is now.  When markets dip like this it is PRIME TIME to snatch up the deals. The whole point is to buy cheap, and sell on the high end. Oil is cheap and WILL go back up.  OPEC will most likely cut production as they will force the shale folks to shut down due to cost.  Coal is epically down right now and will jump towards the fall again when the temps drop and the EPA lawsuits clear the courts.  Besides that, there are mega deals to be had. I would personally soak up the major dividend companies like Wells Fargo, Bank of Nova Scotia  and etc. as they continue to show strength and have been increasing in value over the last 5-10 years.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#13]
BTU may have potential. I grabbed 1k shares
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quite the run today. I got in at 1.62 on Monday
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#15]
1.7 for me. I read George Soros bought a bunch so he will probably dump it at some point.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
1.7 for me. I read George Soros bought a bunch so he will probably dump it at some point.
View Quote

I sold my position this morning.

Now that I've done that, Obama will surely do a complete 180 on coal and BTU will be in the mid $50s by the end of next week. You may want to hold.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Now that I've done that, Obama will surely do a complete 180 on coal and BTU will be in the mid $50s by the end of next week. You may want to hold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been watching a couple coal companies. One of them is Cloud Peak (CLD). I haven't bought yet but their bond issue maturing in 2019 looks interesting. I'm not a high risk investor and I just don't know enough about bonds like this to buy it. It's fallen off a cliff since May of this year. Not long before that it was trading above par. They recently showed a loss but were profitable until 2 quarters ago. From what I can tell their debt looks manageable also but I'm no expert. If it falls to 25. I'm in for 5 bonds which is the minimum
http://finra-markets.morningstar.com/BondCenter/BondDetail.jsp?ticker=C531825&symbol=CLD.AA

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm all for risk, but BTU may just be too much risk at this point.  Either way I'm gonna watch it closely.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
Ballsey move, 98.5% decline since mid 2011 and its been nothing but downhill since.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Ballsey move, 98.5% decline since mid 2011 and its been nothing but downhill since.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Its in my Roth IRA, what could go wrong.  But from what I read bankruptcy is off the table for now.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#21]
another company I am follwing FYA is AMBA, they make the chip in the go pros.  been looking good so far
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
another company I am follwing FYA is AMBA, they make the chip in the go pros.  been looking good so far
View Quote

Looks like AMBA is going to test major support levels @ 79.5 . Looks like a good buy down there and could bounce hard.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I need a new web browser.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top