Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2015 4:48:07 PM EDT
What would be the better option when buying a house, higher housing price with a lower interest rate or a lower price with a higher rate?

If the fed raises rates in the near future (like they have been hinting at), prices should come down with higher rates, right?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Believe it or not with a lower interest rate you can afford more house, they may end up being almost the same dollar amount.

ETA: do the math and figure it out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:21:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Believe it or not with a lower interest rate you can afford more house, they may end up being almost the same dollar amount.  

ETA: do the math and figure it out.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking, and that if you were going to pay off your house early a higher rate might be a little better.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep an eye on housing prices once the fed starts raising interest rates!

Basically, for each 1% increase in interest rates, it costs $X,XXX more per month for the same mortgage.  Once interest rates go up, you're going to see housing prices flatten and potentially go down (depending on how high the rate goes).

As for buying a house, there is no perfect time.  When interest rates are low, prices tend to be high.  When prices are low, rates tend to be high.  However, you can refinance.  So wait until interest rates go up and housing prices go down.  Buy what you can within reason, then refinance once rates come back down.

Easy said than done of course.

RF
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Basically, for each 1% increase in interest rates, it costs $X,XXX more per month for the same mortgage.  Once interest rates go up, you're going to see housing prices flatten and potentially go down (depending on how high the rate goes).

As for buying a house, there is no perfect time.  When interest rates are low, prices tend to be high.  When prices are low, rates tend to be high.  However, you can refinance.  So wait until interest rates go up and housing prices go down.  Buy what you can within reason, then refinance once rates come back down.

RF
View Quote

How fast do you think they will rise? about 1% a year or so?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
double
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RF

Your guess is as good as mine.

Considering the US economy is doing well, but not that well, I'd expect interest rates to climb pretty slowly.  Maybe even < 1% per year?  However, if inflation starts to dramatically rise, the rate could move faster than that.

RF
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Considering the US economy is doing well, but not that well, I'd expect interest rates to climb pretty slowly.  Maybe even < 1% per year?  However, if inflation starts to dramatically rise, the rate could move faster than that.

RF
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RF

RF

I think I replied to OP in GD on this type of topic, but at least for the next year or two I would be surprised if interest rates go up more than .5% per year. They have stated they will go slowly at first, but it's all in reaction to what the market is doing so really it's anyone's guess. Barring rampant inflation coming into play, I don't think they are going to come up very quickly at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top