Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2015 9:19:48 PM EDT
My 401k has had dismal performance this year. Yesterday I spoke with a rep from Fidelity and he recommended that I put everything in the Vanguard Target Fund 2030. If I can do better than 5% annually I should be able to retire then (age 62) with 80% of my salary, adjusted for raises and inflation and get cost of living (inflation) raises until I'm 95. There's now way I'll make 95 so that works for me. All this assumes 3% inflation per year and includes Social Security plus another retirement fund I have.

Is moving the entire 401k into the Vanguard Target Fund 2030 a good idea? Bad idea? I've been thinking about paying an advisory group to manage it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#1]
You definitely could do a lot worse than a vanguard target date fund. It sounds like you aren't especially interested in being able to handle something more complex on your own, and the worst thing you can do is go with high expense alternatives.

I've been thinking about paying an advisory group to manage it.
View Quote

Don't do that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't have the time to manage it yourself a target fund is not a bad idea. It takes out the guesswork.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:59:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you don't have the time to manage it yourself a target fund is not a bad idea. It takes out the guesswork.
View Quote
This.  Let the experts at vanguard make all the hard decisions.  They have smart people and smarter machines figure out how to squeeze the most

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure you are OK with the loads. If you are planning on keeping it there get the A share. Probably 4.5% front end but some have a back end load where it takes 1% when you sell shares.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
It depends on what your available choices are.
Don't pay advisory fees, that's not necessary, a target fund will be a much better choice.

Compared to 2014, so far 2015 has been quite boring - but keep in mind 2014 was a good year.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#6]
My Vanguard Target Fund has me happy....Vanguard is good to go in my opinion

they are fairly consistent at outperforming the industry
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies! I'll move everything to the Vanguard 2030.

Quoted:
You definitely could do a lot worse than a vanguard target date fund. It sounds like you aren't especially interested in being able to handle something more complex on your own, and the worst thing you can do is go with high expense alternatives.

Don't do that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've been thinking about paying an advisory group to manage it.

Don't do that.

It's more that I do not feel qualified to handle the 401k management on my own. I do not know nearly enough about investing and the cost of failure is too great. Just curious, why not the advisory group? Not worth the expense?

Quoted:
Make sure you are OK with the loads. If you are planning on keeping it there get the A share. Probably 4.5% front end but some have a back end load where it takes 1% when you sell shares.

I'm honestly not quite sure what that means, the cost to move from one fund to another? The fees will be less than what I'm paying now. I'll make the transaction through their website. Hopefully it'll let me know about any fees associated with the move.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The Target fund is fine and can be tweaked based on how aggressive you want to be.
Instead of using the 2030 you could do 2040 or 2050 if wanting to be more aggressive or 2025 to be more conservative.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#9]
A 4.5 percent load means when you purchase they take 4.5 percent as a fee. Over the years it works back up but at the start you will be down 4.5.

Some funds give a discount if you buy large amounts.

The back end load charges 1 percent on your withdrawal so if you have a huge return this may not be desirable.

But yes the website should lay all the transaction details for you to see

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Also once you are in the vanguard family of funds you should be able to move from one fund to another without another load charge.  If you wanted to start more aggressive and then go more conservative faster than the one target fund.

I would second the opinion to not go with the advisory thing
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where are you seeing there is a load on the funds he is discussing?

VTHRX
M*

Yes, you are correct that he should be aware of all fees while choosing his fund, but the fund he mentioned has no load.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know what they are just an example. They may have no load

Eta , you are right. His brokerage may charge a no load transaction fee. I know mine would be 50 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Vanguard funds are no load. No transaction fee either if your account is at vanguard.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

VTHRX
M*

Yes, you are correct that he should be aware of all fees while choosing his fund, but the fund he mentioned has no load.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VTHRX
M*

He is discussing buying a Vanguard fund through a Fidelity account - the load and expense numbers found on M* mean nothing without first referencing the materials from Fidelity, who could add those things.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Loads aside, several articles I've read indicate that the "Target" funds run a bit conservative in their investments.  If you're willing to take on more investment risk then pick a target fund with a later year.  I selected one with a date about 15 years after I plan to retire, but only because I have other investments that are safer so I can afford to take more risk with that one.

If Fidelity is offering a Vanguard fund as an investment vehicle through their own 401k then there shouldn't be much of a load.  OP can check.

Full disclosure my personal investments and my IRA are both at Vanguard, my company's 401k is at Fidelity and it only offers Fidelity funds.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He is discussing buying a Vanguard fund through a Fidelity account - the load and expense numbers found on M* mean nothing without first referencing the materials from Fidelity, who could add those things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

VTHRX
M*

Good catch and very poor reading comprehension on my part.  That $75 transaction fee from Fido is annoying.  I tend to save my Vanguard Account for any funds that I am desperate to own with a transaction fee.  $20 fee with Vanguard or $75 with Fidelity, it's a no brainer if the purchase options are the same and you can deal with the inconvenience of a couple different account.  Of course, if he bought this fund directly from Vanguard, there would be no fee.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Target fund is fine and can be tweaked based on how aggressive you want to be.
Instead of using the 2030 you could do 2040 or 2050 if wanting to be more aggressive or 2025 to be more conservative.
View Quote

I keep trying to explain this to people, but I really don't think a single one has understood me yet.

I admit that I am not the greatest teacher in the world, but I guess I will keep on trying.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

And depending on what your risk tolerance is, and what else you may know, that might be a good idea.

For instance, if you have something else conservative - push it out, get more aggressive.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I initiated the switch today and called to make sure that there's no transaction fees involved. She assured me there isn't any.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I keep trying to explain this to people, but I really don't think a single one has understood me yet.

I admit that I am not the greatest teacher in the world, but I guess I will keep on trying.
View Quote

This makes sense to me. I went with 50% in the 2030 and 50% in 2045.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like a good choice to me, though we won't know for sure for another 15 years.

Congratulations.

Since you are making decisions like this on your own, I don't think you need a financial adviser.

Which saves a lot of money all by itself.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#21]

These target funds are funds of funds so If you look into their holdings you can get an idea where they invest the money.

These are the 4 funds your fund holds

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares

Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Investor Shares

Vanguard Total Bond Market II Index Fund Investor Shares*

Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund Investor Shares

so take the first one which makes up 48% of the portfolio and look up the symbol VTSMX

the top holdings are

Apple Inc (AAPL) 3.18%  
Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM) 1.53%  
Microsoft Corp (MSFT) 1.42%  
Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) 1.19%  
General Electric Co (GE) 1.18%  
Wells Fargo & Co (WFC) 1.15%  
JPMorgan Chase & Co (JPM) 1.11%  
Berkshire Hathaway Inc Class B (BRK.B) 1.06%  
Procter & Gamble Co (PG) 0.93%  

Pfizer Inc (PFE)

so you get a small piece of a lot of pies.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Instead of using a target fund, use equivalent ETFs to match the target fund you want and rebalance yourself.

Vanguard's ETF expense ratios are very low... like .05%

View Quote

While I agree that this is good advice, let's give the guy a break.

After a couple of years, he might be ready for that.  People need to learn to crawl before they learn to walk, let alone run.

He is now on the right path.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Hard to go wrong with the Vanguard Target Retirement. I use them for my, as well as my children's, retirement funds.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:04:34 AM EDT
[#25]
"why not the advisory group? Not worth the expense?"

Correct.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I spoke with a rep from Fidelity and he recommended that I put everything in the Vanguard Target Fund 2030.
View Quote

The part that I'm confused about is why is a Fidelity rep pushing a Vanguard Target Fund, when Fidelity has their own Target funds, or Spartan funds which are similar to Vanguard's low cost/expense mutual funds and ETFs?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#27]
If you want to "load your own" so to speak, take a look at this article.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The part that I'm confused about is why is a Fidelity rep pushing a Vanguard Target Fund, when Fidelity has their own Target funds, or Spartan funds which are similar to Vanguard's low cost/expense mutual funds and ETFs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I spoke with a rep from Fidelity and he recommended that I put everything in the Vanguard Target Fund 2030.

Now that you mention it, the Fidelity funds aren't even available with my 401K. Here are my choices:

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#29]
My work 401k is thru paychex and the vanguard funds just became available. So I allocated 40 percent to it. They do have a low expense ratio.

A lot of the work 401k your kind of stuck with the funds they offer

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you want to "load your own" so to speak, take a look at this article.
View Quote

Interesting article. Unless I'm missing something, they're off a bit about the fees.

2045 fees

2030 fees

ETA: Link fail. It only works if you're logged in to Fidelity.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm with Fidelity and I have been following this thread.  I also noticed not so great performance of my ROTH IRA, so I'm thinking about jumping to this Vanguard deal you're talking about.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#32]
What is the upside on not going through Vanguard to get one of their funds?

Why not do it directly?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#33]
That's my question, as well.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I have chase as my brokerage and they charge a transaction fee to buy a vanguard no load fund
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have chase as my brokerage and they charge a transaction fee to buy a vanguard no load fund
View Quote

Did you look into buying directly through Vanguard?
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but my work 401k is thru paychex and they just added vanguard funds so I bought them with no charge.

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I setup my Vanguard 2045 Target fund earlier this April. I am 28 years old. I just plan on contributing the max every year. How do I know exactly what stocks/mutual funds they are using though? And ensure they are the best? VTIX is the ticker symbol for everything.

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I setup my Vanguard 2045 Target fund earlier this April. I am 28 years old. I just plan on contributing the max every year. How do I know exactly what stocks/mutual funds they are using though? And ensure they are the best? VTIX is the ticker symbol for everything.
View Quote
On the first page of this thread there are links to take you to vanguards site. I think I posted one for the op of this thread. You need to search the ticker for the funds in the 2045 fund

On their site you can see what stocks are in the fund and how many shares of each.

Vtix probably has 4 or 5 other vanguard funds in it. Searching those tickers you cand find the stocks they own

ETA

the 4 funds

Vanguard Total Stock Mkt Idx Inv

55.37%

34.41%  

7.01%  

3.15%

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
On the first page of this thread there are links to take you to vanguards site. I think I posted one for the op of this thread. You need to search the ticker for the funds in the 2045 fund   On their site you can see what stocks are in the fund and how many shares of each.

Vtix probably has 4 or 5 other vanguard funds in it. Searching those tickers you cand find the stocks they own

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the first page of this thread there are links to take you to vanguards site. I think I posted one for the op of this thread. You need to search the ticker for the funds in the 2045 fund   On their site you can see what stocks are in the fund and how many shares of each.

Alright so I think I did this correctly?

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#41]
So should I keep buying into those?
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I have my work 401k buying 40 %the vanguard 2050 so it will be a little more aggressive. 30 % of an aggressive growth fund and 30% of a dividend fund. I don't have many choices other than what they provide.

My Roth I have taken more individual stocks but had 15 years of saving and the recovery from 08 tobgive me some money to work with.

I would. If You buy stocks over and over without a good chunk of money commissions would eat too much of your account.

You could also buy the individual funds if you like. They have index funds which mirror the sp 500 for example. So your portfolio would go up and down with the sp 500 index. Vanguard has low fees and no loads which is good

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Is there any chance to change my 2045 to a 2050 so I get more aggressive? I prob should have shot for a 2050 or 2055 to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#44]
You should be able to exchange funds or even buy half and half if you wanted.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My Vanguard Target Fund has me happy....Vanguard is good to go in my opinion

they are fairly consistent at outperforming the industry
View Quote

My Vanguard Target 2035 fund has been doing well. I put a 401K rollover  from a previous employer in it back in 2006.

My employer just started offering a Vanguard Target fund for our 401K and I went with that. Think it's Target 2040 for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top