Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2015 6:04:41 PM EDT
We recently watched a documentary about the people who originally proved that Bernie Madoff was a crook. Is the federal government involved In the same scheme?  The working citizens are forced to pay income tax, sales tax, social security, and other hidden taxes.  The government then pays money out in the form of earned income credit, welfare, "free" healthcare, social security, "free" cell phones and a myriad of other benefits to those who do not work.  If there is not a steady influx of new money coming in to make the payouts, then the system collapses.  Is the way government handles our money a ponzi scheme?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Ponzi?
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to 80 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Involved in?

LOL, it IS a Ponzi scheme.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#4]
and if I was you, I would stop paying any taxes at all until this gets worked out
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:55:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Social Security
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:58:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Social Security
View Quote

Nailed it,

If you tried that shit, you'd be in Federal PMITA prison.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nailed it,

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Social Security

Nailed it,

madoff is.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:05:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Social Security
View Quote

Nailed it
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nailed it,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Social Security

Nailed it,

Social Security alone is nothing but a Ponzi scheme.  I have legally stopped paying Social Security.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Social Security
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Social Security alone is nothing but a Ponzi scheme.  I have legally stopped paying Social Security.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Social Security

Nailed it,

Hit 65 and started drawing, huh?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#12]
No. in a Ponzi scheme, there's a chance, however small, that you will receive a return on your money.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Social Security

Nailed it,

Nope.  I stopped paying in at the ripe old age of 25 (36 now)
I now work for a government pension that exempts me from paying Social Security (of course I won't be getting a benefit either)
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nailed it,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Social Security

Nailed it,

Yep.

Taking people's money and then only giving a portion of it back to them...

And then taxing it when you do....

It's fucking criminal.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Nope.  Not a Ponzi scheme.  It'd say it has more in common with a Pyramid scheme.

From the web:
In both Ponzi schemes and pyramid schemes, existing investors are compensated by the contributions of new investors. Ponzi scheme participants believe they are earning returns from their investment, while pyramid scheme participants are aware that they are earning money by recruiting new participants.
View Quote

I think it's pretty clear from every Social Security thread we've ever had that people are aware of how it actually works on a basic level:

"I paid so now it's your turn to pay for me!"

And yes, the entirety of humanity is a highly functional pyramid scheme.  We rely HEAVILY on population growth to keep the good times rolling.  I guess it'll work right until it doesn't but who knows when we'll hit that resource cap and if we will be necessarily constrained to terrestrial resources when that happens.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Welcome to 80 years ago.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nope.  Not a Ponzi scheme.  It'd say it has more in common with a Pyramid scheme.

From the web:

I think it's pretty clear from every Social Security thread we've ever had that people are aware of how it actually works on a basic level:

And yes, the entirety of humanity is a highly functional pyramid scheme.  We rely HEAVILY on population growth to keep the good times rolling.  I guess it'll work right until it doesn't but who knows when we'll hit that resource cap and if we will be necessarily constrained to terrestrial resources when that happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the web:
In both Ponzi schemes and pyramid schemes, existing investors are compensated by the contributions of new investors. Ponzi scheme participants believe they are earning returns from their investment, while pyramid scheme participants are aware that they are earning money by recruiting new participants.

Originally SS had 4-5 workers for everyone collecting ducats. It's more like 1:1 now.  Entirely unsustainable.

Oh, the other ponzi scheme is MediCare.  

Thanks Woody Wilson, FDR and LBJ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top