Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2015 10:41:39 AM EDT
I'm 28 and live in Houston. I have a History degree from a VA liberal arts school.
I have 5 years background in the O&G corporate world and since January have been self-employed brokering mineral and royalty purchases for private equity.

I want to get an MBA. I'm not a good test taker and got a 400 on my first GMAT attempt. A 400 will not get me into Rice or any other top 30 school.

Do I continue to prep for the GMAT and wait another year to see if my score improves or attend University Houston Downtown (UHD) which does not require a GMAT score if "3.0 or higher is made first semester of MBA"?

UHD's MBA is NOT ranked.

Does it matter where I get an MBA?
Am I wasting time not getting into UHD now for FALL 2015?
Do I get into UHD and continue taking GMAT?
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 1:58:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you paying for it?

Can you handle the quant with a gmat of 400?
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you paying for it? [span style='font-weight: bold;']

Can you handle the quant with a gmat of 400?
View Quote

No

Taking Calc, Stat and Alg classes for refresh at local University
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't really matter unless you want work with a large company. Like Chevron, GE, etc

Otherwise, get the best one you can get into. End of the day, you'll have the same letters behind your name.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#4]
It all depends on what you want to do with it, I know of a lot of places that won't hire anybody whose degree isn't from a top 10 school. I know plenty of folks with MBAs from random schools that are doing just fine.

All about where you are trying to go.

-shooter
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Is that fancy speak for independent Landman?  Yes it matters.  You are better off with real word experience than a MBA from a degree farm.  Save the money and work extra per week in place of school hours.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#6]
You want a top paying job, then yes you want a MBA from a tier 1 school.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes it does.  MBAs were once rare and they are common nowadays.  Go to a school that makes connections for a better job.

I'd go to John Hopkins.  Employees of the big banks (IMF, World Bank, BIS, Fed Res) come from there.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I would check what MBA's are worth in the market place.  I have a nephew...smart kid and was approached by Ivy league universities based upon his test scores while he was in high school.  So much for that.  He's now going to get his BS in business administration, which pays the lowest for undergraduate degrees.  Hopefully he will change his major to something more marketable and with the promise of more pay when he graduates in four years.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes it does, but not for the quality of content (you can teach yourself with MIT open courseware) but for their network and companies recruiting there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Most companies, big and small, are starting to recognize the lack of value some of these online and pay-for-degree schools provide, and some are going so far as to not even consider applicants from schools like U of Phx and other pay-to-play schools.  Real in the classroom, face to face instruction is huge, and the alumni network for real schools is even bigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top