Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 6:36:33 PM EDT
How is everyone reacting to the drop in stocks?

Are you reallocating (if so how)?

Are you selling stocks?

Are you doing nothing at all?

I reallocated stocks to a more diversified portfolio about a week before this greek crisis started and have no intention of changing anything more.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Put up the storm shutters, food stocked, generator ready.
Not evacuating. Riding out the storm.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
liberal  feds  are trying there best to keep it high tell the queen gets elected..   the next drop will make 2008-9  look like a picnic
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#4]
What dip? I have my Roth on automatic deposit and I don't pay any attention to the stock market
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I by and sell based on the value. Currently there are few values even with the dip since so many stocks were at a high. I've looked at oil since they are hammered recently and probably can't stay low forever. Even those are still way out of control
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy low - sell high
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Do nothing. Keep saving cash and when a real opportunity presents itself, then buy at the "sale" price.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I sold some puts on the spiders, (SPY).

And, I bought some XIV, so as to benefit when the VIX reverts to the mean.

So far, so good.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I must admit, the drop in energy stocks looks appealing, i may start buying small amounts of VGELX.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I by and sell based on the value. Currently there are few values even with the dip since so many stocks were at a high. I've looked at oil since they are hammered recently and probably can't stay low forever. Even those are still way out of control
View Quote

I wouldn't say they are way out of control. XOM is trading at 12 times earnings with 3.5% yield. Chevron is at 10.5 times earnings with 4.5% yield. Valero is at 8.9 times earnings, yielding 2.48%.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I must admit, the drop in energy stocks looks appealing, i may start buying small amounts of VGELX.
View Quote

I really like the looks of some of the offshore drillers right now. High risk given the oil market and headwinds facing the offshore drilling sector, but damn they could be great long term investments.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I sold everything.  I had to discount a lot of it to get rid of it.  I'll wait until the market has turned around and is irrationally exuberant before I buy anything again.  It's just a matter of timing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#13]
the market has been tanking for a while, its one of those years,  i dont think it will crash like 08, retail investors are scared and are on the sidelines

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I sold everything.  I had to discount a lot of it to get rid of it.  I'll wait until the market has turned around and is irrationally exuberant before I buy anything again.  It's just a matter of timing.
View Quote
The troll is strong with this one.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I really like the looks of some of the offshore drillers right now. High risk given the oil market and headwinds facing the offshore drilling sector, but damn they could be great long term investments.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have more in Transocean (RIG) than I've ever had in a single stock before. I'm hoping this is a good long term play. It's very low now compared against historical highs.

I could be wrong and may lose money, but I'm thinking if I hold it long enough, I'll turn a profit. Only questions are how long and how much of a profit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Just riding it out. I've got a long time before retirement.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Options puts in oil and gas's have been almost guaranteed winners.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:00:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Buying more shares of excellent dividend growth stocks. No one ever wake up in the morning, turned on the TV and said, "Shit! The stock market's crashing! I gotta stop using my food stamps to buy doritos, sodas, cigarettes, and other stupid shit I don't need!"

Invest for cash flow and all anxiety about the stock market crashing disappears.

Pay no attention to the alarmists on MSN. If they were so smart about investing they would just do that instead of working at a television network.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#19]
My reaction?  "Sweet!  Stocks are on sale!"

on edit:
My retirement accounts are set to automatically rebalance every quarter, this makes sure that when stocks are on sale for any duration I will get a piece of it while selling stuff that is overvalued.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Running around in circles flailing my arms and screaming hysterically until I get dizzy and fall down.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Running around in circles flailing my arms and screaming hysterically until I get dizzy and fall down.

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

+1
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

There are a lot of good companies that are down over 20% from their 52 week high. The market as a whole is up a lot, but there are deals out there. Oil stocks are down a lot some utilities are also. I'm watching railroad stocks now. If NSC crosses below $80 I'm buying. That will be about 32% down from it's 52 week high. Some ADRs are cheap now also due to the strong dollar. I picked up mining companies like BBL & RIO cheap. There will always be a need for companies like RIO and BBL and both made money after the crash in 2008 and pay around a 6% yield to wait for the next commodity bubble. Some on my watch list  

NSC

UNP

MAIN

STWD

BNS

POT

QCOM

GAS

CLD

TRQ

WMT

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:42:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Fan of buying more bbl, oke, and maybe an oil major.  Look at WPC if you haven't I wish I had more money to put there.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:44:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Bought two more cases of ammo
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm still pumping money into the C fund in my TSP as usual. I'm a fan or Warren Buffett's buy and hold philosophy.

I should probably stock up on more ammo and pmags while I can. Possibly a Colt AR to flip in the future too.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm still pumping money into the C fund in my TSP as usual. I'm a fan or Warren Buffett's buy and hold philosophy.
I should probably stock up on more ammo and pmags while I can. Possibly a Colt AR to flip in the future too.
View Quote

This. Lots and lots of this. I don't buy and sell unless funds are performing poorly over time.

-shooter
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Well that dip was short lived, the morons who sold off stock at a loss due to the fear of losing money are feeling pretty foolish right now i'm sure.

Moral of the story.....DO NOTHING EXCEPT HOLD AND BUY ON THE DIP.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:31:29 AM EDT
[#29]
The dip wasn't even worth mentioning. I don't add additional funds unless it's a 5% or more dip. Never even got there. Looks like earnings are doing well and the 2nd half of the year will be better than the first.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Stocks go up and stocks go down.  But in the long term they go up.  Don't try to time the market.  Just stay with your slow and steady plan.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Interesting.  I didn't know that was an absolute.

http://i.imgur.com/YSD4fJj.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Stocks go up and stocks go down.  But in the long term they go up.  Don't try to time the market.  Just stay with your slow and steady plan.

It is when you are talking about a diversified portfolio that represents the broader market, maybe not so much in individual stocks.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It is when you are talking about a diversified portfolio that represents the broader market, maybe not so much in individual stocks.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This! I still don't think we have had a 10 year period where the market lost money. There have been 5 year periods (not many), but no 10 year. Investing well is not all that hard if you take the time to do some reading/learning.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Interesting. I did not realize the Nikkei 225 was an individual stock.

Don't think it can't happen here either. The price of the market didn't break even for 25 years after 1929 (although the total return was positive because of dividends).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. I did not realize the Nikkei 225 was an individual stock.

Don't think it can't happen here either. The price of the market didn't break even for 25 years after 1929 (although the total return was positive because of dividends).

I wouldn't call the Nikkei 225 "well diversified" all by itself, it's just an index for a particular market.  Well diversified includes domestic and international.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Dollar cost averaging.

I've panicked before and pulled myself out on a dip only to lose a crap-ton of money when they rebound and I'm still out. I'm not paying attention to gloom and doom anymore. Markets fluctuate. If the market goes down to the point where the overall trend is bearish then I may reallocate but I will still be putting new funds into the market since the stocks will be at a discount.

I've got 20-30 years before I retire so the only consistent trend is up. We may be overdue for a correction, but I'm not sweating it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Do nothing. Keep saving cash and when a real opportunity presents itself, then buy at the "sale" price.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top