Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2015 7:27:41 PM EDT
I have about 50,000 in a 401k at a company that I no longer work for. I'll be 51 in July.

I don't plan on making any future contributions to it and I am semi-retired/self employed.

I'm thinking that I will roll it over into a Vanguard Life Strategy Growth IRA or a Vanguard Target Retirement 2025 or 2030 IRA until I can withdraw it penalty free.

The reason I'm leaning toward Vanguard is their low expense ratios and their fund rankings.

Any reason not to do this?

Any advice is appreciated.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#1]
That's what I did, so I approve.

You don't have to put it all in a Target Retirement Fund.  I did mine before they had those, and recently moved a couple of the not-so-great performers into a Target Fund.  Just more choices...look at all of their funds and see if the histories make you want to put some money into them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's what I did, so I approve.

You don't have to put it all in a Target Retirement Fund.  I did mine before they had those, and recently moved a couple of the not-so-great performers into a Target Fund.  Just more choices...look at all of their funds and see if the histories make you want to put some money into them.
View Quote
Thanks

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always rolled mine to an IRA. The only benefit the 401k has over the IRA is it's harder to take in a lawsuit or bankruptcy.

http://www.latimes.com/la-ira-story3-story.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top