Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2015 12:17:55 AM EDT
Does anyone have advice on the best companies to open a Roth with?  I have a pre-tax 401(k) thru my employer with Prudential.  I can open a Roth as well with Prudential.  There is something in my mind about all my eggs in one basket ,or company if you will.  That may be totally unfounded.

A friend suggested Charles Schwab for opening up a Roth.  There's always Fidelity and Vanguard but I think they require higher initial investments.  I also have Primerica Insurance and they have a Roth plan as well.

Any favorites or ones to stay away from?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:22:57 AM EDT
[#1]
You should probably see how you like the website of each.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:28:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a long time fan of ShareBuilder, but they're all decent enough these days.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive got a roth with Schwab that I started as well as a traditional 401k with Vanguard from a previous employer. The schwab website is far far more user friendly IMO.  the interface is very easy to navigate and laid out well. As for the companies all the big players are just about the same schwab,vanguard , edward jones etc.  So really just find one that works for you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I use TradeKing and am very pleased.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#5]
they all own each other, my wells fargo fund has jp morgan stock and my chase fund has wells fargo stock etc.

vanguard seems to be the cheapest, as little as .05%, and I believe its $5000 to open but any deposit after. but again u can buy the vanguard (or anybody else) thru shwabb (or anybody else).

but be sure you wont 'need' that money till at least 59 1/2, and you cant deduct losses from a roth.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Vanguard will let you open a Roth with a smaller initial deposit if you set up automatic investments. Or at least they did when I joined a few years ago. I believe the minimum for the target date funds is $3,000 or $1,000 if you set up automatic investments.

And keep in mind that for the lowest fees you need to have the account through the manager of the funds. If you want Vanguard funds open your account through Vanguard, etc. You can buy anyone's funds through any service but they most likely will charge you more.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Final and only answer....Vanguard.
Either the Index 500 or the Total Stock Market ETFs.

And start reading Bogleheads.

Bogleheads.org
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top