Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2015 6:43:51 PM EDT
I've started looking at investing in coal companies. What a beat down industry. Obama, the EPA and low NG prices have killed these stocks, but Obama won't be in office much longer and I'm 75% that a Republican will take over. That could be good for the coal industry. No matter who wins the demand for coal isn't going to go away completely. At some point a few of the stronger companies should start to make more money as the weaker ones go out of business. I've found two I like so far. One is a MLP so only good in a taxable account.    

CLD Cloud Peak Energy PE 4.7, Price to book .51. I like that their long term debt has been decreasing over the last 4 years and they have been able to turn a profit. Don't like that they don't pay a dividend. I figure their current assets + equipment - debt = about $15 a share. They trade for $6

ARLP Alliance Resource Partners PE 7.1, Price to Book 3.1, yield 7.69%, drawback they are a MLP.

Any others worth checking into?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Our govt is hellbent on destroying the coal mining industry, I don't think coal has much left in this world, oil and gas have more political clout and are more stable in the long term, they are certainly beat up enough i might invest in O&G companies.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Our govt is hellbent on destroying the coal mining industry, I don't think coal has much left in this world, oil and gas have more political clout and are more stable in the long term, they are certainly beat up enough i might invest in O&G companies.
View Quote

I agree but I don't think every coal power plant will be shut down so someone will need to supply it. If CLD hits the 5.50 range I'm going to buy a 100 shares and maybe add another 100 later depending on price. If I'm wrong, my losses won't be too bad. I was reading their plan is to export to Asia but coal prices need to stay above a certain price for exports to be profitable due to transport costs. All commodities seem to be down but forming a bottom. I've already loaded up on oil and mineral mining companies (XOM, RDS.B, STO, & BBL). Most other industries seem overpriced now.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#3]
My one real concern is China. That country is a bubble economy and at some point it's going to implode and drive commodity prices down a lot. It might last for another 10 years though and it will probably be a historic buying opportunity for a long term investor.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice P/E ratios but with no dividend i would stay away.  It's a bet if it's not paying you to stay around and there are better bets than coal.  I don't know about the MLP when it's not a hard asset like a pipeline.  I own OKE so I'm not afraid of them but I would read through there papers with a fine tooth comb.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Nice P/E ratios but with no dividend i would stay away.  It's a bet if it's not paying you to stay around and there are better bets than coal.  I don't know about the MLP when it's not a hard asset like a pipeline.  I own OKE so I'm not afraid of them but I would read through there papers with a fine tooth comb.
View Quote

I don't have any spare money for investing outside a IRA anyway so the MLP is out for now. Every time I look at their yield and other numbers I want to buy though. If I end up getting CLD it will be a small buy. I would have already bought if they had a decent dividend with a history of paying it.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I might have missed this one. It's $7.28 now. I've been watching since the upper 5 range.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I would be worried ARLP might lower their distrabution, NRP did this recently and their stock plumetted.  If you think there is a future in coal I would go with Peabody (BTU) or Arch (ACI).  

I still have faith in those companies.  Just my opinion, I've owned stock in all of the afore mentioned companies.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I might have missed this one. It's $7.28 now. I've been watching since the upper 5 range.
View Quote

I came in here today to post that but now up to 7.33  Nice pick, what else are you watching
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I would be worried ARLP might lower their distrabution, NRP did this recently and their stock plumetted.  If you think there is a future in coal I would go with Peabody (BTU) or Arch (ACI).  

I still have faith in those companies.  Just my opinion, I've owned stock in all of the afore mentioned companies.

View Quote

I looked at BTU and ACI but was worried how much they are losing per share. I usually won't invest in a company that isn't turning a profit. CLD and ARLP were the only coal companies I could find that were profitable. I think CLD just showed a loss for the last quarter now also. Could you explain why you like those companies? I don't know a lot about this industry yet.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#10]
ARLP doesn't have much coal sold for 16. They are coming off some long term contracts
that they won't have in 16. Be careful
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I live in the Powder River Basin The Coal companies seem to be back to hiring more employees. Those who contract with the coal companies are also doing some hiring. FWIW.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ARLP doesn't have much coal sold for 16. They are coming off some long term contracts

that they won't have in 16. Be careful
View Quote

Probably explains why the price is so low. Their numbers look great but the price keeps dropping.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Considering all the investment right now in various approaches to Fusion, I wouldn't invest in Coal on a dare.  If any one of them pans out, it will wipe out 95% of the industry overnight.
View Quote

If that happens I'll gladly take my losses. The benefits would be huge but I don't think there's much chance of it happening anytime soon.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I live in the Powder River Basin The Coal companies seem to be back to hiring more employees. Those who contract with the coal companies are also doing some hiring. FWIW.
View Quote

Wonder if they are expecting a price increase. I found this article about plans to ship to Asia but the breakeven price is $80 per ton. March prices were around $65 and dropping. Not sure what the current price is.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3042246-cloud-peak-energy-any-newcastle-rebound-should-significantly-improve-its-outlook

http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=coal-australian

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:43:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I just do not see coal in our future for much longer. At least, not at a level in which I would want to invest. I like your thought process though; I've made worse investment decisions (and lost). Might be able to make a buck or two if you sell after the election. Just don't get sucked in and hold it too long.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I just do not see coal in our future for much longer. At least, not at a level in which I would want to invest. I like your thought process though; I've made worse investment decisions (and lost). Might be able to make a buck or two if you sell after the election. Just don't get sucked in and hold it too long.
View Quote

I think it will be used at power plants for a while but it will be decreasing in importance. With more and more NG supplies being found most power plants will be NG but they are still making coal plants. I own stock in SO and they are building a new cleaner coal plant. Cost overruns on it are one reason their stock has taken a hit recently.

http://www.southerncompany.com/what-doing/energy-innovation/smart-energy/smart-power/kemper.cshtml

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I was looking for a sector that was out of favor and the negative responses have made my mind up. I downloaded a few of CLD's recent 10ks and if everything looks good and it stays below $6.50 I'm going to pick up 200 shares
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was looking for a sector that was out of favor and the negative responses have made my mind up. I downloaded a few of CLD's recent 10ks and if everything looks good and it stays below $6.50 I'm going to pick up 200 shares
View Quote

Idk I'd probably pick SDRL. Seems like there is a massive onslaught against coal. At last check it was like $14.00 with EPS of $3.00.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Idk I'd probably pick SDRL. Seems like there is a massive onslaught against coal. At last check it was like $14.00 with EPS of $3.00.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've already got a large percentage in oil. I recently sold some to lower the percentage. Even though there's a ton of good buys I don't want to be over weight in any one sector. I did consider SDRL and another smaller one PACD though. Ended up going with XOM, RDS.B, and STO. You're not kidding about the onslaught against coal though. I've been reading the annual report for CLD and it would have been faster reading if they just told me the things that could not negatively affect their business.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've already got a large percentage in oil. I recently sold some to lower the percentage. Even though there's a ton of good buys I don't want to be over weight in any one sector. I did consider SDRL and another smaller one PACD though. Ended up going with XOM, RDS.B, and STO. You're not kidding about the onslaught against coal though. I've been reading the annual report for CLD and it would have been faster reading if they just told me the things that could not negatively affect their business.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad really. Your other plays are great though.

I'm not sure how one would find out, but it may be smart to look for the coal companies that are labeled the "greenest" or that buy the most carbon credits. Seems like they may get less "attention" than some of the others.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Well I own my first coal stock. This one wasn't really a planned purchase. A mining company I have stock in spun off their coal and aluminum assets into a new company called South32. Not sure if I'll hold it though. I'll have to see how the dividends are taxed. The parent company had two symbols one in the UK and one in Australia. The UK symbol I owned did not withhold tax on dividends but this new company is listed on the Australian exchange only. Not sure how that works for taxes.      
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top