Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2015 11:24:36 AM EDT
I have a 403(b) and Roth IRA with TIAA-CREF. Apparently they are raising their expense ratios (what I would consider to be fairly significantly)

I can rollover the 403(b) into Fidelity if I want to, but I don't have any experience with Fidelity or know if their expense ratios are better, worse, the same, etc . . .

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Fidelity has been around a long time.

you need to compare there expense ratios before deciding.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Vanguard has very low if not the lowest expense ratios in the industry.

And yes, by rolling over to Vanguard, Fidelity or whomever you choose, you can create an essentially identical portfolio with much lower costs.

The management fee for Vanguard's S&P500 ETF, for example, is 0.05%.  Most are in the 0.10-0.15% range.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Edit: Nevermind. I see a better explanation above.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And yes, by rolling over to Vanguard, Fidelity or whomever you choose, you can create an essentially identical portfolio with much lower costs.

The management fee for Vanguard's S&P500 ETF, for example, is 0.05%.  Most are in the 0.10-0.15% range.
View Quote

Wow, that's outstanding. Part of the problem for me though is that the only other vendor I can roll my 403(b) into is Fidelity.

I think I can transfer the IRA anywhere I want because it's not a part of the plan. I'll have to look at Vanguard; those expense ratios are unbelievable.

I'm reading through the Bogleheads' Guide to Investing right now, and their info on index funds and expense ratios has been very illuminating.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

ETF's typically have lower expense ratios than mutual funds.

Your expense ratios look a bit high to me for index funds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, that's outstanding. Part of the problem for me though is that the only other vendor I can roll my 403(b) into is Fidelity.

I think I can transfer the IRA anywhere I want because it's not a part of the plan. I'll have to look at Vanguard; those expense ratios are unbelievable.

I'm reading through the Bogleheads' Guide to Investing right now, and their info on index funds and expense ratios has been very illuminating.

ETF's typically have lower expense ratios than mutual funds.

Your expense ratios look a bit high to me for index funds.

They are high period.  Most of Vanguard's mutual funds have the same expense ratios a their ETFs; I only deal in ETFs so habitually typed ETF.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are you restricted to Fidelity?

I'm not a 403(b) expert (never had one) but that doesn't sound right to me, but in any case, Fidelity should have competitive expense ratios.

Vanguard's keystone is their low expense ratios, so as stated, they are among if not the lowest, but there are others who are trying to match them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could you roll it to Fidelity then a year later roll it to Vanguard?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm not a 403(b) expert (never had one) but that doesn't sound right to me, but in any case, Fidelity should have competitive expense ratios.

Vanguard's keystone is their low expense ratios, so as stated, they are among if not the lowest, but there are others who are trying to match them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only two vendors through which the non-profit my wife works at are TIAA-CREF and Fidelity. On TIAA, when I go to initiate a transfer, the only option I can select from the dropdown is Fidelity.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The only two vendors through which the non-profit my wife works at are TIAA-CREF and Fidelity. On TIAA, when I go to initiate a transfer, the only option I can select from the dropdown is Fidelity.
View Quote

Ahhh, got it:  you're talking transfer not rollover (one is only eligible for a rollover once you are no longer employed by the employer with which you have the plan...at that point you can roll it over to anyone).

In that case, are you restricted to certain Fidelity funds?  Fidelity probably has over 100 funds to choose from but I would hazard to guess that all of them are less expensive than the other funds you posted.

As stated, you can recreate your current portfolio (or modify accordingly) at Fidelity for significantly reduced management fees.  When your wife does leave that particular employer you can leave it in the 403(b) at Fidelity or roll it over to an IRA at Fidelity if you want to invest in Fidelity funds not available through her now former plan.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ahhh, got it:  you're talking transfer not rollover (one is only eligible for a rollover once you are no longer employed by the employer with which you have the plan...at that point you can roll it over to anyone).

In that case, are you restricted to certain Fidelity funds?  Fidelity probably has over 100 funds to choose from but I would hazard to guess that all of them are less expensive than the other funds you posted.

As stated, you can recreate your current portfolio (or modify accordingly) at Fidelity for significantly reduced management fees.  When your wife does leave that particular employer you can leave it in the 403(b) at Fidelity or roll it over to an IRA at Fidelity if you want to invest in Fidelity funds not available through her now former plan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I apologize. I was using incorrect terminology. Thanks for thr correction.

I think I still have the booklet that includes which funds are available, so I'll just check that and see what the expense ratios are.

Thanks for all of your help.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#12]
There is nothing wrong with Fidelity.  Use their Spartan Index funds if available in the 403b.

Fidelity actually beats Vanguard on a few funds when it comes to Expense Ratios, I personally have my IRA at Vanguard, but I wouldn't flinch at moving it to Fidelity if anything were to make me inclined to leave.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top