Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2015 1:01:37 PM EDT
So I have a product that I had legally developed as a "prototype" that I would like to bring to market. The idea is that at first I would contract a distillery to manufacture and bottle for me and I would sell from there. Once I have raised the capital and better established the brand I would like to have the product distilled "in house".

I am just looking for some advice from anyone with any experience in this. If this is a good solution or is there a better way to do this.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I have a product that I had legally developed as a "prototype" that I would like to bring to market. The idea is that at first I would contract a distillery to manufacture and bottle for me and I would sell from there. Once I have raised the capital and better established the brand I would like to have the product distilled "in house".

I am just looking for some advice from anyone with any experience in this. If this is a good solution or is there a better way to do this.

Thanks
View Quote

Wouldn't that require you to be a licensed distillery, or does BATF have exemptions for R&D work?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
A lot of the brand name liquors are actually outsourced to manufacturers who just mix alcohols and flavoring and slap a label on it.  I can't remember the name right now, but google should help you out.  Just find one of these guys and ask them what it would cost for them to make a run of your prototype.  Keep in mind they probably don't do small runs.

To bring it in house, you'd have to get all the federal and local licenses required.  Keep in mind most states require that the manufacturing, distribution and retail functions are all separate companies.  In other words, you can't make it, distribute it and sell it all within the same company.

RF
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep in mind most states require that the manufacturing, distribution and retail functions are all separate companies.  In other words, you can't make it, distribute it and sell it all within the same company.
View Quote

In fact, some states, such as Michigan, have a liquor control board that has a limited number of distributors that manufacturers may work with. The distributors handle delivery from the manufacturer to the retailer and are supposed to provide isolation so that manufacturers can't pressure retailers. To me, it's just a big monopoly on distribution. To each his own I guess.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 2:02:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Wouldn't that require you to be a licensed distillery, or does BATF have exemptions for R&D work?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses so far. I have been doing a lot of reaserch.

We only had a very small amout made for consumption. To take this to the next level and contract a company out to manufacture for sale I would need all the fed and state license.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top