Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2015 11:51:19 AM EDT
I  inherited some stcoks, MFs, bonds, ect a few years ago. There were in a Edward Jones acct at the time, so I opened an acct and everthing was moved over.

Over the last few years Ed Jn has done pretty well for me. About 32% since Oct 2011.

If has been very easy, broker will emai/call me about every 6 months for adjust from my grandmother's needs to my needs as far as investing.

We have been doing this slowly. Had I been more aggressive, and listened. I would have made money.

So EJ has been good for me. But I feel the fees while not bad are more then I like to pay.

I had a bond, get recalled and now I have some cash to invest.

EJ gave me some choices. I maxed out my Roth yet again. But I have $20k+/- to do something with.

Is it bad to take my money from EJ and invest it using the knewgle/tips that they have me and buy the same Mutal Funds with Scott Trade or other Comp??

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't owe them anything.  There is nothing wrong with doing whatever you want with your money.

I would not invest with Edward Jones.  I took the DIY approach and invested a few dollars in to some reading material so that I would learn what it was I was doing.  Learn the math behind it all.  I would highly recommend taking those funds and investing it at either Fidelity or Vanguard in low cost market index funds.  

You probably don't realize it, but you are paying EJ more than the fees that are on your statement.  Take a look at the expense ratio (ER) of the funds you are invested in.  You are paying that rate to the fund manager, who is also paying a kickback to your adviser.  What are the load rates?  That's a direct sales commission for your adviser.  You can find all of this in the fund's prospectus, just Google the fund name or symbol.  Now go compare that to something like Vanguard's Total Stock Market.

Read about low cost investing at bogleheads.org  Also it's a good idea to check out the book "Boglehead's Guide To Investing"
on edit: don't try to beat the market, just BE the market and you win.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#2]
DIY is DIY. Same folks who bash advisers here probably also tell you to change your own oil, mow your own lawn, etc. Do you find value in the service and willing to pay? Ymmv...
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:19:53 AM EDT
[#3]
You should read a few books about investing, then go shopping with a few firms after you know the lingo and the tricks. Don't let on that you know as much as you do and you'll probably be able to spot the snake oil salesman types. A lot of advisers are great. some aren't. I use an advisor with raymond james, but its because of the broker that is at this particular office. He came recommended to me by a guy who was my stock mentor, and after shopping he seemed best to me. Raymond James allows the broker to cut me a good deal on fees. I never feel like i'm being abused on fees when they come up at time of sale, but i have seen some other folks who are clearly paying a lot more. Probably too much.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Op, what is the advisor recommending? As in ticker symbol.

You said 30% from 2011? It sounds like you were not into equities that much
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

COF and PCLN.

Yes I could have done better. But I have a LOT in municipal bonds. And was geared more to a 90yr old that need cash flow.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

COF and PCLN.

Yes I could have done better. But I have a LOT in municipal bonds. And was geared more to a 90yr old that need cash flow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

COF and PCLN.

He's recommending two Aggressive stocks according to their stock table. I am not sure what his train of thought is, I am not saying it doesn't fit your allocation, just curious. Do you know how long has he been in the industry? Some EJ offices have a lot of turn over that's why I ask.,

did he ever get with you and do a new risk tolerance questionnaire when you inherited the account?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
He's recommending two Aggressive stocks according to their stock table. I am not sure what his train of thought is, I am not saying it doesn't fit your allocation, just curious. Do you know how long has he been in the industry? Some EJ offices have a lot of turn over that's why I ask.,

did he ever get with you and do a new risk tolerance questionnaire when you inherited the account?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

COF and PCLN.

Yes they are aggressive stocks. I am looking for more risk/reward.

I know my Grandma used him for years and he made her money.

Yes we have talked quite a bit, and yes on the questionnaire.

I am more of a conservative investor (long term gains). But I the more I look and see what I could have gained in the past few years. The Bonds while tax free were only earning 5/6%  did hurt my over all gains.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I am more of a conservative investor (long term gains). But I the more I look and see what I could have gained in the past few years. The Bonds while tax free were only earning 5/6%  did hurt my over all gains.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

COF and PCLN.

I really can't hate on EJ's stock picking. Did he recommend to re tool the account? It sounds like you hold a ton of munis. Which according to you isn't the risk/return profile you are looking for?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I really can't hate on EJ's stock picking. Did he recommend to re tool the account? It sounds like you hold a ton of munis. Which according to you isn't the risk/return profile you are looking for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

COF and PCLN.

Yes, we are moving away from fixed income to investments more suited towards a person of my age whom will not retire for 35/40 more years

at this moment I sit at 2.1% in Municipal bonds, 6.7% cash, 33.4% mutual funds, and 57.7% stocks.

My Roth is 100% Mutual funds, I have maxed it out 7 of the last 10 years.

The Bond is 4.75% and I do not know if I should dump it go more aggressive. I also have the cash to use too.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#10]
OP:
Here's another strategy item, besides worrying about costs of your broker...

Do you have a 401k at work?  Are you making maximum contributions?  If you have one but are not making maximum contributions I would highly recommend changing that.  The limit for 2015 is $18,000 (more if over 50 years old).  If you feel like you can not live on what's left of your paycheck then start drawing down the funds from these taxable accounts.  The reason is your 401k will grow without tax implications, these taxable investments are throwing off dividends, interest and capital gains income that could otherwise be tax sheltered.

I stand by my original suggestions posted earlier.  Failing to do so is costing you quite a big of money.  If you are fine with those losses then so be it.  It would drive me nuts to give up so much in tax benefits and broker expenses.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

OP:

Here's another strategy item, besides worrying about costs of your broker...

Do you have a 401k at work?  Are you making maximum contributions?  If you have one but are not making maximum contributions I would highly recommend changing that.  The limit for 2015 is $18,000 (more if over 50 years old).  If you feel like you can not live on what's left of your paycheck then start drawing down the funds from these taxable accounts.  The reason is your 401k will grow without tax implications, these taxable investments are throwing off dividends, interest and capital gains income that could otherwise be tax sheltered.

I stand by my original suggestions posted earlier.  Failing to do so is costing you quite a big of money.  If you are fine with those losses then so be it.  It would drive me nuts to give up so much in tax benefits and broker expenses.
View Quote

Sorry I must have missed your first post.

Can you "Dumb down" what I high lighted in your post.

As for 401K, in the .Mil I have the TSP. Thrift Savings Plan.

I have not yet contributed to it, but it does make sense to do so ..
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#12]
TSP is even better, in fact it's one of the best plans (if not the best) available.  Take full advantage of it.

Stocks (including those that make up mutual funds) pay dividends to the share holders, usually on a quarterly basis.
Bonds pay interest on some type of schedule (varies).
Capital Gains occur when you sell stocks (mutual funds & bonds), they are the difference between what you paid and what you received, these can be losses also.

When the above happens in your regular brokerage account you have a taxable event.  If the above happens within a tax favored account (401K, 403b, 457b, IRA, etc.) there is no taxable event (on a traditional account you will pay tax when you withdraw the money, on a Roth account you will never have to pay tax on the gains).

Since you are .mil you have a pension and the TSP is available to you.  You can't do anything to alter the pension, but you should take full advantage of the TSP (the same way I described for the 401k).
You should also open an IRA (read up on the differences between Traditional and Roth to decide what is best for YOU), preferably with a low cost brokerage.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:05:06 PM EDT
[#13]
My broker charges me a 1% flat rate and does well being very conservative.
16% this year and I am heavy oil but she hedges me all the time and we come out ahead.
I have a Scottrade but don't use it anymore as I am to busy to watch it.
Good luck
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
16% this year and I am heavy oil but she hedges me all the time and we come out ahead.
Good luck
View Quote

I assume she's using options to hedge those etf's or stocks. I am just curious as to why invest in oil to early. Energy companies normally have a U shaped recovery and the bottoming process normally takes several months. It's interesting she chose energy at this time considering the macro headwinds of that sector vs how they were in 2009 and the early 2000's.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I assume she's using options to hedge those etf's or stocks. I am just curious as to why invest in oil to early. Energy companies normally have a U shaped recovery and the bottoming process normally takes several months. It's interesting she chose energy at this time considering the macro headwinds of that sector vs how they were in 2009 and the early 2000's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck

We where already in oil before the crash and she started hedging when the winds started to shift.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We where already in oil before the crash and she started hedging when the winds started to shift.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck

makes sense, hedged as in bought puts? sold somthing short?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck

yeah she's old school she buys puts and calls on the products we decide on. Low risk and pretty good returns for 1% I think but I don't know what other people are getting.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

yeah she's old school she buys puts and calls on the products we decide on. Low risk and pretty good returns for 1% I think but I don't know what other people are getting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck

That's what I thought. Nothing wrong with old school. Nothing like having a backstop. I bet everyone wished they had one last year like  you did. Interestingly enough Op's EJ advisor doesn't' offer options and will tell you they are the devil.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#19]
That's what I thought. Nothing wrong with old school. Nothing like having a backstop. I bet everyone wished they had one last year like you did. Interestingly enough Op's EJ advisor doesn't' offer options and will tell you they are the devil.

Mine was with AG Edwards and when Wells fargo bought them out they through a fit and pulled the options contracts and screwed allot of people so she when independent taking only her favorite customers went from 350 to 35 and told me she makes more has fun and can really take care of the customer.
At FWF if the market drops the broker cannot act without direct authorization from customer!!
I have my riskier stuff and has full authority to hedge dump or whatever. (one of these days I will stay away from GDL options)
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's what I thought. Nothing wrong with old school. Nothing like having a backstop. I bet everyone wished they had one last year like you did. Interestingly enough Op's EJ advisor doesn't' offer options and will tell you they are the devil.

Mine was with AG Edwards and when Wells fargo bought them out they through a fit and pulled the options contracts and screwed allot of people so she when independent taking only her favorite customers went from 350 to 35 and told me she makes more has fun and can really take care of the customer.
At FWF if the market drops the broker cannot act without direct authorization from customer!!
I have my riskier stuff and has full authority to hedge dump or whatever. (one of these days I will stay away from GDL options)
View Quote

That's why most advisors go indie, the big brokers will scare you into thinking that they are needed and you will fail with out them. Among other things.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:00:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
DIY is DIY. Same folks who bash advisers here probably also tell you to change your own oil, mow your own lawn, etc. Do you find value in the service and willing to pay? Ymmv...
View Quote

The only difference is you will pay your advisor a lot more than the lawn guy or the oil change place and in my opinion the advisor does a lot less work.

I have been investing for nearly twenty years and have read some books and have a good level of understanding on the subject. It might be more difficult or more time consuming for a rookie but it is worth it to learn . I probably spend less than ten hours a year on my investments and that includes kids college funds, wife's and my retirement accounts, health savings account, etc. If we paid an advisor their typical fees it would be over $10,000 a year.

For ten hours of my time in front of the computer  I will save the 10k. Now fifty bucks for mowing the yard or changing the oil that is a reasonable charge for the amount of time, equipment, materials it takes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The only difference is you will pay your advisor a lot more than the lawn guy or the oil change place and in my opinion the advisor does a lot less work.

I have been investing for nearly twenty years and have read some books and have a good level of understanding on the subject. It might be more difficult or more time consuming for a rookie but it is worth it to learn . I probably spend less than ten hours a year on my investments and that includes kids college funds, wife's and my retirement accounts, health savings account, etc. If we paid an advisor their typical fees it would be over $10,000 a year.

For ten hours of my time in front of the computer  I will save the 10k. Now fifty bucks for mowing the yard or changing the oil that is a reasonable charge for the amount of time, equipment, materials it takes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say that's true 90% of the time especially at the banks but I have been happy with my independent at 1% flat fees and 16% return this year and knowing I am covered when I want to drop off the grid during hunting season  etc. as she hedges my risky stuff and will pull me out if the market tanks. I think if you can find a real partner in an adviser you will come out way ahead but the big houses are a sham these days.
I did like scottrade when I managed it but only did about 10% at the end of a typical year. You might do both.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It goes down to the firm and the advisor. Some firms and advisors charge you to buy and hold. Some out there actually earn their fee and may provide insight to things you didn't even know existed.  The problem is that quite a few advisors are salesmen and they have quotas.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

like i said, ymmv.  and i do what you do...
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well there's your problem with the advisors you have been using.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:06:03 AM EDT
[#26]
All this back and forth.   Seems like an advisor has variable use to the buyer based on personal investment skill, risk tolerance, investment style, time, advisors skill, advisors cost.  I don't use one now mainly because assets are low but I watched my parents get hosed by Raymond James for years so I am gunshy.  Finding an advisor might be as hard as finding a good wife.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:10:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All this back and forth.   Seems like an advisor has variable use to the buyer based on personal investment skill, risk tolerance, investment style, time, advisors skill, advisors cost.  I don't use one now mainly because assets are low but I watched my parents get hosed by Raymond James for years so I am gunshy.  Finding an advisor might be as hard as finding a good wife.
View Quote

Finding a good wife is a lot easier.

I know this much, if I was looking for an advisor, they would have to give me their cell phone number and take my calls regardless of the time or hour. I am biased though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I know this much, if I was looking for an advisor, they would have to give me their cell phone number and take my calls regardless of the time or hour. I am biased though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least its easier and cheaper to divorce your Adviser but mine gives out her cell number but its not necessary as my calls tend to be " Holly Crap! that stock you told me to stay away from and I insisted on just went to pieces!" and she tells me one of two thing '' I sold it yesterday or I put on hedges when it started to look questionable"
She is the greatest!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

At least its easier and cheaper to divorce your Adviser but mine gives out her cell number but its not necessary as my calls tend to be " Holly Crap! that stock you told me to stay away from and I insisted on just went to pieces!" and she tells me one of two thing '' I sold it yesterday or I put on hedges when it started to look questionable"
She is the greatest!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She is the greatest!

That right there is how an Advisor adds value and is not just being a salesperson.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top