Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2015 9:19:23 AM EDT
As the title says, what book(s) are recommended to read to learn the basics of investing on the Stock Market?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#1]
The book that got me started was very basic. HOW TO INVEST 50-5000 DOLLARS. I read it while in Navy C school in 88 so it may be out of print. It got me off to a solid start. After that I learned to never invest in a stock based on a magazine uarticle
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#2]
You really need to Learn 4 basic concepts first.

1. What are all of the financial securities and how they work, (stocks (preferred common), bonds (all of them), mutual funds, UITs, closed end funds, derivatives (warrants, options, futures), hedge funds, private equity, private debt.
2. How does Macro Econimics work. Lading indicators, lagging indicators, PM index, Jobs, dollar valuation, etc etc etc
3. Fundamental Analysis (value, growth, blend, the market caps, etc)
4. Technical Analysis (call it hocus pocus if you want, but if enough people believe in somthing, then guess what)

Once you get all that down, then you can move onto Investment Philosophies and Theories. Markowitz vs Post Modern vs Technically Driven vs Event Driver vs Strict Deviation Management etc etc

Then you can start making some decisions.

Despite Arf.com's attempt to simplify investing as they always do, there is absolutely much more to it than going to Vanguard and buying an Index Fund. Now if that's what you like, more power to you, rock on! Thinking it is the only way to do it properly and effectively is another story.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#4]
The Market Guys  Five points for trading  success.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
There is only one:

The Intelligent Investor by Ben Graham
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:34:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is only one:

View Quote

That is a good book that goes over one technique. I would also like to add that how Buffet made his money is  little more complicated than what Graham writes about.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is only one:

View Quote

+ 1  This is the classic work in the field.  If you only ready one book, this should be it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That is a good book that goes over one technique. I would also like to add that how Buffet made his money is  little more complicated than what Graham writes about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is only one:

I wouldn't call Tech Analysis "basics" of investing in the stock market.  I doubt he's shopping for a Bloomberg terminal, know what I'm sayin?

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I wouldn't call Tech Analysis "basics" of investing in the stock market.  I doubt he's shopping for a Bloomberg terminal, know what I'm sayin?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is only one:

I don't think he is also, Given that, he needs to at least know why a stock dropped or traded higher when the fundamentals are pointing in a different direction.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Some sites I like with a lot of free info

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

http://www.dripinvesting.org/tools/tools.asp

http://seekingalpha.com/

http://www.directinvesting.com/

I just started this book. It's on options but the guy does a good job of explaining charts and stock selection also. I'd start with the sites above before buying any books though.

http://www.amazon.com/Ellmans-Complete-Encyclopedia-Covered-Writing-ebook/dp/B0064TJS7M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426450394&sr=8-2&keywords=covered+calls
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for Intelligent Investor.....and have patience.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:03:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Intelligent Investor yes!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#13]
IMO, every investor should read Where Are the Customer's Yachts: or A Good Hard Look at Wall Street

Like The Intelligent Investor, it was written years ago (1940) but still applies, and entertains.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I love Bernstein's books.  Great intro to diversified investing.

Intelligent Asset Allocation and
The Four Pillars of Investing (more basic than the first one, but still covers all the bases).

My entire portfolio is based on these two books (basically Boglehead stuff).

RF
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top