Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2015 4:07:09 PM EDT
About 6 years ago Charles Schwab recommended that I put half of my 401K contributions in pre tax and half in Roth.  This was the right thing to do up until 2013.  

In 2013 I moved into the 25% tax but by only about $7k.  I had put $7,500 into the Roth.  Had that been in the pre-tax, I would have stayed in the lower tax bracket.  I didn't catch this when I did my taxes in 2014.  

The same thing happened in 2014.  It is a $5k increase in taxes for each year.  

I think I am going to start using a pro to do my taxes going forward.

Here is the email I sent to our retirement benefits person at corporate:

The last time I talked to you I had a simple question, I don't think this one (actually multiple questions) will be that easy.

I do my own taxes with Turbo Tax and have been for years.  This may have come back to burn me.
For tax year 2013 I moved into the Federal 25% tax bracket and am again in it for 2014.  I am at the bottom of the tax bracket.  

I am contributing 6% pre-tax and 6% Roth and have been since I started with /current employer/.  Turns out, if I had been all pre-tax, I would have had a low enough taxable income to stay in the lower tax bracket.  Today I changed my contribution to all pre-tax contribution to try and get back into the lower tax bracket for tax year 2015.    

Here are my questions:
Can I convert the Roth contributions from 2013, 2014 and so far in 2015 to pre-tax so they are no longer on my taxable income?
Can I get a new 2014 W2 reflecting this for 2014?
Can I get a new 2013 W2 reflecting this for 2013?
This may be a question for a tax accountant:
Can I go back and redo my 2013 taxes with all pre-tax 401K contributions and get my tax money back for being in a lower tax bracket?

This is worth about $10,000 in tax money for 2013 and 2014 combined.  

Thanks

Am I screwed or will I be able to get all or some of this $10k back?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The 25% tax is only charged on the amount you made over the cutoff, not your entire salary. There isn't going to be much difference between being at the top of one bracket or the bottom of the next one
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 25% tax is only charged on the amount you made over the cutoff, not your entire salary. There isn't going to be much difference between being at the top of one bracket or the bottom of the next one
View Quote

There is a big difference in the "base" tax.  For 2014 the 10% bracket is $1,815 plus 15% over $18,150 and 25% bracket is $10,162 plus 25% over $73,00.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How did you put $7,500 in a Roth IRA when the limit is $5,500?
View Quote

Beats me.  This is a 401k Roth, does that make a difference?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There is a big difference in the "base" tax.  For 2014 the 10% bracket is $1,815 plus 15% over $18,150 and 25% bracket is $10,162 plus 25% over $73,00.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

?  

The math works out to where you only pay 25% on anything over $73,000 (married filing jointly)

Tax chart:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2013/10/31/irs-announces-2014-tax-brackets-standard-deduction-amounts-and-more/

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

?  

The math works out to where you only pay 25% on anything over $73,000

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?  

ok, but my taxes went up $5k for 2013 and '14 over '11 and '12 with just a little more earning.  The only difference is the tax bracket.  Does that make sense?

My net bring home for 2014 was $3k less than '12 and my gross was $6k higher.  There is some wonderful medical benefit changes in there too though.  Thanks Obama.  FBO!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ok, but my taxes went up $5k for 2013 and '14 over '11 and '12 with just a little more earning.  The only difference is the tax bracket.  Does that make sense?

My net bring home for 2014 was $3k less than '12 and my gross was $6k higher.  There is some wonderful medical benefit changes in there too though.  Thanks Obama.  FBO!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?  

You really need to look at the actual deductions and not just assume that any difference is federal tax. There are many other things that have changed recently
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You really need to look at the actual deductions and not just assume that any difference is federal tax. There are many other things that have changed recently
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?  

I think it is time to ditch Turbo Tax and go to a pro.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm hosed.  According to my 401k provider, they cannot change Roth back to pre-tax after the money has been contributed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Honestly find a good CPA. I pay 350 and they have saved me tons of money compared to me doing it myself (from mistakes)
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#12]
If you went $7k in to the 25% bracket you paid $1,750 in taxes that could have been avoided by diverting that to a Traditional 401k.  It's really that simple.

If your tax due amount comes out to $5,000 more than the prior year but your Adjusted Gross Income (bottom of Pg.1 and top of Pg. 2 on Form 1040) didn't change much, then you screwed something up.

Check the rest of your form, compare it closely to the prior year.  Did you claim your personal exemption?  How about your deductions?  Did you have the standard deduction in both years?  Itemized one year and standard in the other?  Did you miss the standard deduction all together?  Something doesn't sound right.

on edit:
No, you can't go back on 401k contributions and change them at this point.  If you want to drop your taxable income some and you haven't made any IRA contributions you can make a Traditional IRA contribution of $5,500 to drop your income by that amount, it would reduce your tax bill by $1,375.00
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You'll get all or some of it "back" during retirement..... One thing you're forgetting is that by paying taxes on it now, you don't pay taxes on it when you withdraw the money during retirement. You say you're in the 25% bracket now, but if you had put it into a standard 401K, then retired and withdrew it in the 25% bracket, you'd be paying the same taxes anyways. You're just paying it during retirement instead of now.

You're going to pay taxes on it either way. The only difference is when you pay them, and what the tax rate will be. Since you don't know what tax rates will be when you retire, it's really just an educated guess either way, which is why splitting your investments between traditional/roth accounts usually makes sense for most people.

By shifting all of your contributions to traditional retirement accounts, you are saving yourself some taxes now, but are you going to be kicking yourself when you're 70 and you're withdrawing money that's taxed at 35% because that's the bracket you end up in? What kind of income do you expect to have during retirement and what do you think tax rates will look like then? Are you better off taking your lumps now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

....... I had put $7,500 into the Roth.  Had that been in the pre-tax, I would have stayed in the lower tax bracket. ...........

Am I screwed or will I be able to get all or some of this $10k back?

You'll get all or some of it "back" during retirement..... One thing you're forgetting is that by paying taxes on it now, you don't pay taxes on it when you withdraw the money during retirement. You say you're in the 25% bracket now, but if you had put it into a standard 401K, then retired and withdrew it in the 25% bracket, you'd be paying the same taxes anyways. You're just paying it during retirement instead of now.

You're going to pay taxes on it either way. The only difference is when you pay them, and what the tax rate will be. Since you don't know what tax rates will be when you retire, it's really just an educated guess either way, which is why splitting your investments between traditional/roth accounts usually makes sense for most people.

By shifting all of your contributions to traditional retirement accounts, you are saving yourself some taxes now, but are you going to be kicking yourself when you're 70 and you're withdrawing money that's taxed at 35% because that's the bracket you end up in? What kind of income do you expect to have during retirement and what do you think tax rates will look like then? Are you better off taking your lumps now?
I'm only 27 years old but I have never heard of tax rates going down in this country, I see them only going up especially with the FSA calling the shots like they have been for years.

ETA: your fooked on converting the Roth back to a traditional, it ain't happening
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:38:37 AM EDT
[#15]
You want to take money you already paid tax on once but never again in the future to get a tax deferment today and pay taxes later because you bumped up into the next bracket by $7500?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You want to take money you already paid tax on once but never again in the future to get a tax deferment today and pay taxes later because you bumped up into the next bracket by $7500?
View Quote

Not really.  

I found out I can't change my past 401k contributions.  But I did change them going forward, I am all pre-tax now.  Before you berate me, keep reading.  I was contributing to my pre-tax IRA also, but I can't deduct it because I make too much money, so I changed my IRA contributions to Roth.  

So, I just changed which accounts and contributions where pre-tax and which ones where Roth.  I am sending my taxes to an accountant today for him to review.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#17]
if you are phased out of being able to deduct Traditional IRA contributions then you are probably ineligible to contribute to a Roth (directly).
You most likely need to do a "Back Door Roth Conversion".

You would also be advised to immediately move all non-deductible contributions in your Traditional to a Roth account (you'll pay tax on their earnings now), this will allow them to grow in the Roth account with the earnings being tax free.

You really need to go on over to Bogleheads.org and discuss this, your situation is more complicated than you currently understand but it isn't too bad to untangle if you get good advice now (as opposed to waiting).
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#18]
IMO - continue to max out your ROTH contribution regardless.  You can safely bet that taxes will be higher in 30 years than they are now.  Take the tax lumps now while you are young and ABLE to do so.

CMOS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top