Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2015 10:34:57 AM EDT
My Wife and I have no debt, aside from two properties. We were able to make our last vehicle payment today, and are set on paying off one of the mortgages in 2 years. I just dont know which one to pay off, so heres the scenario.

House 1 - This is an income producing property. We have an awesome tenant (K9 Officer and his family), and the home is in very good shape. The mortgage (including taxes/insurance) is $565 a month. We charge $1000 a month for rent. This property is split down the middle (50/50) with my Dad, so he gets half of everything. We currently have about 5k sitting in an account for any unexpected expenses for the property. We owe $63k on the balance of the loan.

House 2 - This is my residence with my Wife and 2 kids. Our mortgage is $900 a month and we owe $123k on the balance.

Both were 30 year fixed at near the same interest rate (both sub 4.5%).

So, which would be a better choice to pay off first?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:41:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

My Wife and I have no debt, aside from two properties. We were able to make our last vehicle payment today, and are set on paying off one of the mortgages in 2 years. I just dont know which one to pay off, so heres the scenario.

House 1 - This is an income producing property. We have an awesome tenant (K9 Officer and his family), and the home is in very good shape. The mortgage (including taxes/insurance) is $565 a month. We charge $1000 a month for rent. This property is split down the middle (50/50) with my Dad, so he gets half of everything. We currently have about 5k sitting in an account for any unexpected expenses for the property. We owe $63k on the balance of the loan.

House 2 - This is my residence with my Wife and 2 kids. Our mortgage is $900 a month and we owe $123k on the balance.

View Quote

I'd pay off house #2

You will be able to pocket 900 a month, but if you pay off #1, you only pocket 500.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd pay off house #2

You will be able to pocket 900 a month, but if you pay off #1, you only pocket 500.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd pay off house #2

This. Although.............

This isn't what you asked but at that cheap of an interest rate I'd buy more rentals and not pay off any of the mortgages.

I may be biased, I own several highly leveraged rental properties.

Also, your emergency cash for that rental isn't enough imo unless you have other access to quick cash or credit. With one property I'd not feel comfortable with less than a 20k cushion. Major repairs aren't cheap and I manage an industrial mechanical company for a living. A major sewer repair, roof, foundation problem can get expensive quick if insurance doesn't cover it or drags their feet.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#3]
If you hit financial hardship, you'd rather own your home than own a rental property in which you don't live

Your rental property is paying for itself.  Gold mine...no....but it's costing you nothing (and you have some change in the bank in case anything needs repaired).

Hit your personal mortgage hard IMO
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the mortgage interest on the rental property fully tax deductible?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I would refinance both.We just locked in last wed at 2.75.Rates are freekishly low right now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would refinance both.We just locked in last wed at 2.75.Rates are freekishly low right now.
View Quote

Where?   How??
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is the mortgage interest on the rental property fully tax deductible?
View Quote

This, I'd bet it isn't so paying this one off would result in some savings by keeping your primary residence interest rates deductible.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd pay off house #2

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd pay off house #2

but paying off number 2 will obviously take twice as long
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Always pay off your primary residence 1st. If you can't find a tenant and have to lose a property, lose the rental.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who is the lender?  And 15 or 30 year mortgage?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Given the same rate, I'd pay off the smaller balance first.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:44:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably a 15 yr if the rate is in the 2's.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#13]
How much is house 1 worth? refinance house 1 at 80% value and pay down house 2, use the higher mortgage of house 1 as a tax write off against rent?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How much is house 1 worth? refinance house 1 at 80% value and pay down house 2, use the higher mortgage of house 1 as a tax write off against rent?
View Quote

I'm not sure a bank would finance such a small amount
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:38:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I am unfamiliar with the tax code on investment property. Do you get a more favorable deduction or less favorable on the expenses associated with the rental property? If would generally lean to paying off your residence first though.

-shooter
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
If your dad is getting half the proceeds, I hope to god he is paying off his half of the mortgage as well, otherwise he's screwing you.

Id pay off your primary residence first then negotiate a deal with dad on how to pay off the investment where you both pay it off or you buy out the equity he has along with a reasonable slice of future earnings for the next couple of years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top