User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2015 5:45:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a different lawyer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
As a lawyer, I love Legal Zoom and all those other internet lawyer services.

I spent quite a bit of time (and billable hours) just fixing what folks would screw up. Funny thing is, if they would have come to see me in the first place, it wouldn't have cost them about half as much.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Trusts can be complicated legal documents, especially when planning for wealth transfer to minors. I know in my practice I have charged much more than $1,200 to draft trusts. If done properly, $1,200 is not a bad deal, so long as it includes all the accompanying documents.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:25:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Unless you are talking about $5M+ you are wasting your time.

If we are talking about this kind of money then get an attorney that specializes in estate planning (he should also have some background in tax accounting to understand tax implications, most estate attorneys will).
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#8]
What you seek is a will that will that includes a testamentary trust provision should both you and your wife die. You should also have your state's version of a guardianship done which will help determine who takes custody of your child or children should both you and your spouse die. It's also pretty common to have a medical directive and power of attorney done at the same time. You should be able to get all of this in the 1k to 1.5k range, assuming you aren't a one percenter. Pay the attorney and have it done right.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What you seek is a will that will that includes a testamentary trust provision should both you and your wife die. You should also have your state's version of a guardianship done which will help determine who takes custody of your child or children should both you and your spouse die. It's also pretty common to have a medical directive and power of attorney done at the same time. You should be able to get all of this in the 1k to 1.5k range, assuming you aren't a one percenter. Pay the attorney and have it done right.
View Quote

This is correct.

There's actually multiple things you're trying to accomplish. I recommend breaking them down into parts.

1. A will to explicitly state how your assets should be divided.
2. A trust to hold your assests until your child reaches legal age.
3. Custody documents so your child doesn't end up in foster care.
4. Medical documents for end-of-life care (do not resucitate orders, etc.) and power of attorney to execute medical decisions on your behalf.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top