Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 4:02:13 PM EDT
I received my quarterly 401(k) report today. It had me thinking again and I've been researching for a few hours now.

Here's the stats. I make 15/hr. Hours vary but  I grossed $28,500 this year. I'm 29. I've blown my checks like an irresponsible bachelor for the past 5 years (I know). I have a 401 that was started in 2011. It is at 11,900 as of a few weeks ago. I invest 5% with a company match 4%. My annualized rate of return was 11.8% since the start but 8.2% year to date.

My bills. Rent a room from a friend $250/mth. Cell $45. Insurance (renters/life/bikes/car full coverage) 170-190/mth. Zero debt, no loans.

I am trying to figure out what a "good" plan is. I have $500 in my checking account. $700 in a ring fund (200/check saving for $5k proposal next year) and 100 in savings. I have spent on guns and motorcycles (I know) and realize it's time to grow up. Apparently 12 months salary in savings is a typical safety net responsible people aim for?

I'm planning long term. Im selling one of my bikes for $10-12k which I'll buy a low mile economy car (chevy cruze eco) with. Sell my current car for $5-6k and put that in savings. Where should I put money? I am shooting for $3-400/month savings account, and $400/month in the ring account, and add % to my 401k. Company match is limited to 4% where it's at.

What are some financial recommendations? Please go easy on me, I know I spend like a window licker but that's what I'm addressing. Should I bump up my contribution %, or focus on diligently saving in a savings account? I'm trying to figure what I can plan on when I'm 60 for financial security.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]

I'm not going to give you 401 k advice. I only have 40,000 in mine and I'm 45.  

what I do have is a paid off mortgage. I bought this home at the age of 28.  I dumped all my money into my principal, now that frees up 1200 a month, so I can invest that for 15-20 years.

The advice I am going to give you is about your spending 5k on a ring. If you don't go to the mall jewelry store, but instead go to a mom n pop store you can get that ring for $2500.

Buy a home. Home prices and rates are going up. Sell a bike, take cash and buy a home. Rings are not investments.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I hear you there. $5k is a goal to free up wiggle room. I'd rather have more than not, and I know a local jeweler who priced a ring for a friend I brought in and it rapidly went from $9k to $65, so I'd anticipate somewhere $3k anyways.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Your 401k yearly max contribution is 17.5k and you are contributing $1,425 a year (28.5k x 0.05) with your current salary.  At your income bracket, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to bring down your taxable income that much for tax purposes because you are at the lower end of the bracket (not trying to offend, just stating a fact).

So, if you are truly going to end up with around 15k in cash, stick it in the bank and for gods sakes DON'T TOUCH IT.  That is your 6 month emergency fund.  Next you need to work on bringing your expenses down to a minimum.  I wouldn't change your 401k contribution until you have 9-12 months earnings in that account.

Once you have a budget and your 9-12 month emergency funds in place, you can look at bumping up your contribution.  I would suggest bumping it up to 10% and seeing how that's goes.  My % goes up every year when I get a raise, if I get a 4% raise all 4% goes into my 401k, I'm getting pretty close to the max contribution now and I'm only 34.  You also should open a Roth IRA and contribute any bonus money or tax refunds or any other windfalls into this account, you can put up to 5500 a year in here and it's tax free to pull the money out when your retire.

You just have to get disciplined about it.  I didn't get serious about things until I was 30.  Admittedly when I was 30 I was in a better financial situation than you, but its all about perspective.  The same principles apply whether you make 20k or 200k

I would also say that you should be taking advantage of any and all tax credits possible because you should qualify for basically everything.  You aren't doing yourself any favors if you leave anything on the table, the government isn't going to do anything useful with it, I can assure you of that.  When you get to the higher end brackets, they take 90% of deductions and credits away and just stick their hand out and tell you to pay up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at Blue Nile for a ring.  You can design your own and spend as much or as little as you want.  $5k is absolutely insane in my opinion, especially for your income.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Please don't spend 5k on a ring.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#6]
For perspective i make low 6 figures and i spent less than 1000 on a ring. A lot less.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For perspective i make low 6 figures and i spent less than 1000 on a ring. A lot less.
View Quote
+1 http://www.amazon.com/Tungsten-Carbide-Wedding-Brushed-center/dp/B008KUYHWO?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#8]
  you spend 12 hours labor  per month on Insurance ?
I would   get out of that habit FIRST thing tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I quality cut 3/4 carat diamond and mount should set you back around $2700 and will make all of her friends think their 1ct diamond from jared is shit and looks smaller.

Research on cutting diamonds before you buy. Know your angles and you 3k ring will be worth 3k or more forever.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#10]
First, congratulations on being debt free.  That's something most people struggle with.
Now I'm going to get rough on you, but don't get me wrong, I'm just saying what needs to be said, not trying to be mean.

You are spending WAY too much on a ring.
I make considerably more and spent considerably less - no, I was not just being cheap.  

Anyway.... other topics:
*Target saving 15% of your income for retirement.  That's a general rule.  You don't have to get there today, work yourself up to it, have a plan to get there.  Write your plan down and force yourself to stick with it.

*Why are you paying for life insurance?  What type of insurance? (Whole?  Term?)  Who are you insuring?  Apparently you don't have anyone depending on you earning money at this point.  At most you should be concerned with burial costs, but you should have enough in a cash emergency fund to cover that.

*What are you driving now?  How much driving do you do?  Is it really going to be more economical to sell your vehicle and buy another?  You say that you are selling *one of your bikes*.  That means you still have at least one more.  What kind of fuel economy does it get?  If you are going to justify keeping it I think it should be used as a commuter vehicle at least 50% of the time.  I doubt selling your current vehicle that is worth $5-6k to buy another newer vehicle that will just depreciate heavily would be the correct choice, but it's possible. Why are you keeping full coverage on a $5-6 car?  How much is the car's insurance alone?

*Your emergency fund is not the same as your general savings account that you tap whenever you are making discretionary purchases.  The amount of your emergency fund can vary greatly.  How much is the deductible on that insurance policy for the bike or car?  I doubt the $100 in your savings will cover it if something happened.  My opinion is that as a non-parent and non-homeowner you should target about 3 months of income in an emergency fund.  Other life factors will increase that amount.  Start building this as a priority now.  What good will that ring do you if you lose your job or have an accident that keeps you from working?  Once you get a minimum of $1,000 in the account, start splitting up what you were putting away to other goals like the ring and a regular savings account, but keep building the emergency fund to an amount you can live on at the same time.

*You need a real savings account.  One that you will put money in to on a regular basis and save up money for a large purchase.  If you like buying guns, that's fine.  Just put $20 a check or whatever in to the savings account and when you have the money for the purchase go for it.  Just set an automatic transfer from your checking on payday to go to this account for a minimum amount.  If you find you have excess money at the end of the month and want to get to your goal quicker it's fine to send that money over also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top