Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I made my last buys today. I doubled my XOM and added SLB. I had planned to buy CVX but their financial statements didn't look good to me even prior to the drop in oil prices. Negative free cash flow for the last two years, increasing long term debt, and decreasing sales and net income. XOM and SLB are both sitting on a bunch of cash and should be able to ride out low prices.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought HAL looked like a really good buy also but they have a pending merger that might go south. Not sure how that would affect their share price so I went with SLB instead. Would have been cool to be a part owner in the company democrats hate the most though
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like oil stocks are tanking today.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Tanking is a very strong word for such a small drop, esp. In the context of a recent rapid rise.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

They might in the short term. No one can time the market perfectly but I'm confident I'll have some nice gains in 20 years.

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Im as new to investing as it gets. Been reading some news on refinery output and a possible decrease in oil prices. Im thinking of going in on a few, such as GTE and UWTI. I just don't know if I should do it soon, or wait and see what happens when refinery output increases. The goal is to invest for 2-3 years in some of these and cash out.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Well its on its way up........WTI has gained almost 10% over the last two sessions.

I think we are  close to a bottom.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe, but it got very bearish at close and WTI is down for in after hours trading based on reports of more production than expected plus the EIA report that comes out tomorrow and is expected to possibly cause some decreases in stock prices.

They had a good run over the last 10 days...OAS is up about 15-20%.  Wouldn't be shocked at a dip...

Never know though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was pissed at Scottrade. I transferred money into my account specifically to buy some uwti when it was in the 2.50 range, but Scottrade held the funds for 3 days because the stock was under 3 bucks. I had no idea they did that! Now since uwti been on a big uptick, I'm not sure I want to jump in now...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't want anyone to get in trouble but I've been killing it with uwti.... 3x oil bull.

I was pissed at Scottrade. I transferred money into my account specifically to buy some uwti when it was in the 2.50 range, but Scottrade held the funds for 3 days because the stock was under 3 bucks. I had no idea they did that! Now since uwti been on a big uptick, I'm not sure I want to jump in now...

How exactly do those funds with the multipliers work? I have looked into them before but ended up more confused than when I started.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Does arfcom think the bottom in the energy dip has hit or are we in for more declines later this year?

Time to start buying stocks or wait a little longer?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Does arfcom think the bottom in the energy dip has hit or are we in for more declines later this year?

View Quote

Can't be sure but I think it has further to fall. I've been watching railroad stocks lately and they are getting killed due to decreasing orders to ship goods. Usually transports declining is the first sign of a recession. I used to work for a company that did work for trucking companies. I could tell a recession was near when I started getting a lot of requests to lock customer accounts due to lack of payment. If there's a recession oil will fall further. I sold all of my VDE earlier this year for a small profit. I still own XOM, RDS.B, and STO. All three are negative for me now. If there's a big drop down, I'll double my XOM. I plan to hold it at least 20 more years so any drop is a buying opportunity for me.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn't dump all my dry powder in at once, but I am averaging into Exxon right now. I think oil has further to fall, both due to Iran as well as the end of summer coming. That said, Exxon just increased their dividend and is yielding 3.5%, and supposedly just made a huge discovery which is good bc they have a pretty high exploration failure rate.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Can't be sure but I think it has further to fall. I've been watching railroad stocks lately and they are getting killed due to decreasing orders to ship goods. Usually transports declining is the first sign of a recession. I used to work for a company that did work for trucking companies. I could tell a recession was near when I started getting a lot of requests to lock customer accounts due to lack of payment. If there's a recession oil will fall further. I sold all of my VDE earlier this year for a small profit. I still own XOM, RDS.B, and STO. All three are negative for me now. If there's a big drop down, I'll double my XOM. I plan to hold it at least 20 more years so any drop is a buying opportunity for me.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I really want to dump some of my 401k money into VGELX (Vanguard energy fund) but I want to wait till it looks like the oil glut is topping out, right now it looks like the glut is still growing.

If we go into recession the oil glut will only swell due to less demand for energy.

ETA: Fuck it, its down 10% over the last 30 days, and down 36% over the last year to date, I will slowly buy shares in VGELX every two weeks with 401k contributions. I can't pass up a good buying opportunity like that. Even if it goes down I think I have missed most of the downslide, I have plenty of time till retirement.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:50:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I really want to dump some of my 401k money into VGELX (Vanguard energy fund) but I want to wait till it looks like the oil glut is topping out, right now it looks like the glut is still growing.  

If we go into recession the oil glut will only swell due to less demand for energy.

ETA: Fuck it, its down 10% over the last 30 days, and down 36% over the last year to date, I will slowly buy shares in VGELX every two weeks with 401k contributions. I can't pass up a good buying opportunity like that. Even if it goes down I think I have missed most of the downslide, I have plenty of time till retirement.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think you can go wrong averaging in at these prices. It might fall further but it's not like you're buying when oil is $150 a barrel. I remember a post back when oil was close to $150 and people were buying and talking about peak oil. Now it's the opposite. I read posts about how oil is dead and companies like Tesla will cause the end of big oil and power companies. They were wrong about peak oil and they are wrong now.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:54:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I wouldn't dump all my dry powder in at once, but I am averaging into Exxon right now. I think oil has further to fall, both due to Iran as well as the end of summer coming. That said, Exxon just increased their dividend and is yielding 3.5%, and supposedly just made a huge discovery which is good bc they have a pretty high exploration failure rate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exxon makes money on the downstream end also. Their refining business has been doing well even with low oil prices. If it falls to the upper 70s I'm adding more.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not a pro...but it sure looks like now is the best buy point in history for some energy stocks.  CHK...wow.  OAS, UWTI, UGAZ...should at least double in the next 12 to 24 months.  

YMMV...
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm not a pro...but it sure looks like now is the best buy point in history for some energy stocks.  CHK...wow.  OAS, UWTI, UGAZ...should at least double in the next 12 to 24 months.  

YMMV...
View Quote
I agree, at these levels I am certain I will make a nice return in the next few years

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked up 10 shares of vde for fun today
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#20]
My Vanguard VDE is in the minus since I bought it but I going to buy into some blue chip energy stocks with good dividends for some cost averaging.  Black gold is far from dead.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I will wait for a bounce. A month ago I thought we hit the bottom.  Not.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#22]
its definitely ugly out there, who knows it could go lower,

i have been adding xom, cvx, cop, i built up a huge stash of xom since 1980, times like this i buy the crap out of it

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#23]
oil price is going to continue to drop.  we will see sub $45 a barrel.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
oil price is going to continue to drop.  we will see sub $45 a barrel.
View Quote

summers already halfway over, and oil prices havent peaked, theres too much supply .... i think only way it will go up again is if war breaks out, pipline disruptions.  If iran sanctions are lifted , oil will stay low.  I think US supporting iran oil exports is some way of us telling the saudis to piss off.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#25]
AND ENERGY STOCKS TAKE ANOTHER DIVE!!!!

Exxon down 4.5% and Chevron down almost 5%

Time to buy, buy, buy!

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Time to buy, buy, buy!

View Quote

I'm adding some more XOM on Monday if it stays at $79. I'll add again at $65 if it keeps dropping. I was planning to add some more RDS.B also but it spiked up and I missed it for now. It was close to a 7% yield.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#27]

I bought some Thursday and Friday it dropped .

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm adding some more XOM on Monday if it stays at $79. I'll add again at $65 if it keeps dropping. I was planning to add some more RDS.B also but it spiked up and I missed it for now. It was close to a 7% yield.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time to buy, buy, buy!

I'm afraid that if oil has another bad quarter or two that dividends will be cut to the bone. Then these stocks will really take a nose dive because investors are mainly into them right now for the income.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm afraid that if oil has another bad quarter or two that dividends will be cut to the bone. Then these stocks will really take a nose dive because investors are mainly into them right now for the income.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Time to buy, buy, buy!

I'd be worried about some of them but XOM I'm not worried about. They have paid an increasing dividend every year for 33 years. The dividend is only at a 44% of their EPS. I know there's a chance with RDS but management claims no cuts until at least 2017. Could be a lie but I'm willing to take the chance.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'd be worried about some of them but XOM I'm not worried about. They have paid an increasing dividend every year for 33 years. The dividend is only at a 44% of their EPS. I know there's a chance with RDS but management claims no cuts until at least 2017. Could be a lie but I'm willing to take the chance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time to buy, buy, buy!

Good to know. Might pick up some XOM shares.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#31]
If XOM gets to $40 I'll buy some.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

If XOM gets to $40 I'll buy some.
View Quote

I would load up at that price but it didn't get close to $40 even after the crash in 2008.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Check out the Dividend Champion spreadsheet on this page. Probably one of the most useful investing resources I know of and it's free.

http://www.dripinvesting.org/tools/tools.asp

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#34]
My retirement brokerage reinvests the dividends. I would pick up a couple of shares of xom a year this way. or would you take is as cash?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

My retirement brokerage reinvests the dividends. I would pick up a couple of shares of xom a year this way. or would you take is as cash?
View Quote

I have all my stocks set to buy shares with the dividend.

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Well WTI hit a new low for the year (or 6 years) 43.22

Surprisingly the energy stocks did not fall as hard as I would have thought given new lows for the year.

How low will it go?
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Well WTI hit a new low for the year (or 6 years) 43.22

Surprisingly the energy stocks did not fall as hard as I would have thought given new lows for the year.
How low will it go?

View Quote

If I remember correctly oil hit around $10 a barrel back in the 90s. I don't expect it will got that low again but I wouldn't be surprised to see the 30s. It could just a easily go back over $100 due to trouble in the middle east though. Long term I expect it will go up.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top