Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2014 10:24:37 AM EDT
Maybe I am over complicating this, but:

I am considering buying a second home that is adjacent to mine.  It would be a longer term investment.  I plan to use the garage to store collector vehicles and possible a granny flat.  

I own my first home free and clear.

How should I finance this?  Should I aim toward a primary dwelling loan, a VA loan, an investment loan?  etc?  Home equity?

It is a short sale, so I would probably need to be pre-approved to make an offer.

(80 days on the market, no offers, currently listed above market price by comps)

The current owner may possibly not be able to sell for reasonable market price and will let it foreclose. Property is currently vacant.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you're going to have a hard time getting a loan for a second property.  The bank is going to treat it as a rental property most likely and that will be a pain.  If you try a home equity loan, you are going to have to annex the lot and file to combine the lots together or the bank isn't go to go for it,

Best is pay cash honestly.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
No home equity to buy the second home.  If anything goes bad, you could lose your home.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Just buy it outright as a primary residence.  Tell the mortgage company you intend to sell your current house.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Just get a loan to buy it as a rental. It will be around 1% higher rate. Oh yea, and rent it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:15:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you not learned that a home is NOT an investment?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#6]
i thought you were talking about a house in the mountains or at the lake,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top